Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #49576
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 337
Sub.....Great to read that you are up and moving around. Take it slow......and easy. I work in a Large Hospital and get to see some amazing things, let the body do it's thing and heal. Ya got plenty of time.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:09 PM   #49577
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
BTW, what is stock HP for the 650L?
On the MSO Honda claims 40HP. I'm sure that is at the crank not the rear wheel.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:18 PM   #49578
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
On the MSO Honda claims 40HP. I'm sure that is at the crank not the rear wheel.

Walter

Honda claims 29 crank HP for my '87 XR250. It's sure lighter too.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 PM   #49579
Muddaholic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Been off the site for a while ... what happened dude ? At any rate, sounds like your on the mend..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
the 250L disappoints me

more suspension travel at both ends, and a slightly hotter motor, say, 26hp and Honda would have one sweet little ride. I used to own Hondas first liquid cooled dual sport, the NX250 which produced 26hp to the rear wheel. although it had a 16 inch rear wheel and a 19 inch front with suspension travel about the same as the 250L, it was still a great bike imo geared more towards the street then the dirt. although it did alright in the occasional offroad jaunt.

i bought mine with 8000 miles on it, and sold it with 25,000 miles. not a single problem with the motor except for 1 spark plug change. mine was a 1988

and in other news on my road to recovery, i had my doc appointment yesterday and im back to walking on my own again! (barely) the doc lifted my no weight bearing restriction on my right leg meaning i can use it to support my weight now. just cant bend my knee. i still have to wear a brace. I also got scheduled for bone graft surgery on my birthday. (dec 10th) soon as that's over doc said i should be able to bend my knee and walk and jump etc and do everything i normally could before my accident.... as long as i can tolerate the pain i might receive when doing so.

he was not sure if it would cause pain in my knee riding a dirt bike offroad or not so hopefully things will be ok there. as far as my back, i was prescribed a different spine brace that's not as irritating as the first and was told to come back in 6 weeks to check on progress. hopefully after those 6 weeks the spine brace can come off and i will be back to normal again! though technically, after the bone graft surgery, as soon as im off the Oxycontin (heroin) painkillers im on, i can start riding again!

thats all i got for now!
Muddaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM   #49580
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddaholic View Post
Been off the site for a while ... what happened dude ? At any rate, sounds like your on the mend..
Scroll back a few pages for the full story. Sounds like Sub Zero has a great attitude, and is recovering well. I've been fortunate so far in my dodging of cages - though trees have rung my bell more than once. I remember when I first started riding, one of my mentors said to me, "There are two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed, and those who will crash." Stay alert out there, and try to prove him wrong! Now more than ever drivers seem to be distracted by everything under the sun, and our chances of eluding certain collisions are becoming ever smaller.

For now, my daily commute is in Belgium, and if you think the drivers in the US are crazy I challenge you to take one day of my commute and not laugh yourself off the road at some of the stuff you'll see. Huge props to the guy who rides his motorcycle to work every single day, though. It was 32 degrees this morning, and in the fog I couldn't see more than about 20 yards, but I passed the guy in the bright orange helmet that I pass every morning going the other way as I barreled along in my comfy little wind-protected cage.
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #49581
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumbs down No riding in traffic for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
Scroll back a few pages for the full story. Sounds like Sub Zero has a great attitude, and is recovering well. I've been fortunate so far in my dodging of cages - though trees have rung my bell more than once. I remember when I first started riding, one of my mentors said to me, "There are two kinds of motorcycle riders. Those who have crashed, and those who will crash." Stay alert out there, and try to prove him wrong! Now more than ever drivers seem to be distracted by everything under the sun, and our chances of eluding certain collisions are becoming ever smaller.

For now, my daily commute is in Belgium, and if you think the drivers in the US are crazy I challenge you to take one day of my commute and not laugh yourself off the road at some of the stuff you'll see. Huge props to the guy who rides his motorcycle to work every single day, though. It was 32 degrees this morning, and in the fog I couldn't see more than about 20 yards, but I passed the guy in the bright orange helmet that I pass every morning going the other way as I barreled along in my comfy little wind-protected cage.
Yep I never ride my bikes in town anymore.....I live 18 miles outside of our city in the woods, so all my dirt and street riding is strictly scenic pleasure riding. I use the cars for anything involving mixing it up with other vehicles.....no way I'm trusting my life to a texting teen with a new license, a drunk etc
Old 11-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #49582
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Got to meet my first L inmate face-to-face this morning. Passed on an Acerbis fender to Referjohn. Hopefully, I'll get to meet and ride with more and more of you in the coming years.
I tihnk we should do some meet ups! San Diego first!
Old 11-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #49583
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,374
Got this in my email, only got 1/4 down the page but had to share. Looks like a Honda.

http://www.laosgpsmap.com/ho-chi-minh-trail-laos/
Old 11-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #49584
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post

I do have some concerns on how the brace fits with the fork boots tho.....I assumed they went on no prob, but it seems I've read you have to try and cut up you're boots to make the brace work, or go with another form of fork protection alltogether?

And Ben you mentioned the brace does change the way the forks work on the trails....what's the change? I'm still debating if this is something I want to do or not.
I haven't heard of anyone cutting their boots, usually they just get pushed up a bit like I did.

for me it makes the bike steering more precise and quicker, and a better overall feel,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I've been prescribed oxycontin and percocet for my bulging discs in my back, but they don't do anything for me. They say it's supposed to make you drowsy, and instead they give me insomnia. Pretty much sucks when ibuprofen works better for pain than oxy...
same here, it seems to put my brain into overdrive so I can't turn it off to sleep.
KyoXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:59 PM   #49585
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,692
I cut my boots off when installing my brace and added fork skins. They look better than those used condoms.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:02 PM   #49586
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
Got this in my email, only got 1/4 down the page but had to share. Looks like a Honda.

Cool stuff! Definitely a Honda.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 PM   #49587
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Here's my buddy, FiddyK, on an urban dual sport ride last week, flyin' his XRL 650.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:14 PM   #49588
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,572
Quote:

Interesting pictorial, thanks!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #49589
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
If you go this route, let me know, and I can tell you how I installed it, I was concerned after some of the install stories, but it was really easy, with just a few simple tricks. JMO
That tank install is "interesting" to say the least!
The tank has a spot underneath where the spacer bar is supposed to "rest". (Spacer bar...for lack of the correct term = the piece that bolts to the engine mount bolt)On my application it would rest on the spacer bar 1/2" before the lower bolt holes lined up.
I tried it with the rubber grommets on the ends, without the grommets and every position it would move to. I even moved it to the back bolt as one install video showed. The directions call for the front bolt to be used. Nothing worked. I don't have that part installed and it doesn't seem to affect anything.
I moved the rectifier off the upper bolt as the corner of it would hit the upper bolt on the metal bracket. The tank still rubs slightly on the fins. I still have to rectify(pun intended) that problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillowcrusher View Post

Once again to Sub Zero, heal up quick man!
You do the same! Oh, and welcome to ADV too!!

bwalsh screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 05:43 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #49590
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,649
Quote:

Thanks! Nice find! I'll have to read the whole thing.

Looks like two different Hondas...One with the stock headlight, red fender and one with what looks like a Ruckus headlight, white fender.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote