Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #49606
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,970
I did cut my fork boots but I didn't have too. I just liked the way it looks. Before I cut them they looked bunched up in some spots. Its doesn't matter if you cut them or leave them alone the brace improve the handling of the bike that its worth it.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #49607
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
2 EXP Bars, McGrath/Steward and KTM Suzuki, 2 pairs pillow top grops, two pairs grip donuts, 1 set bar end mount kit, and 1 race collar.... 100.93. tits.

So which bend do you like better???

I bought the same bends and prefer the KTM/Suzuki bend.

My wrists stay in a nuetra/naturall postion better. It's probably because I have broad shoulders and long caveman arms...

I like narrow bars so I'll probably cut 1/2"-1" off each end. They fit between trees better.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #49608
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
According to RSW's web site I can just bolt their fork brace on and go.....but from what I've read elsewhere I need to chop the sides off my front fender and weaken it, and cut my fork boots down or replace with something else to retain full suspension travel? (which I use )
I'm just looking for real users feedback......I'd like to try the brace, but really don't want to chop up and possibly destroy a brand new fender, or hack up my fork boots.
Any feedback from my fellow inmates is appreciated as usual
How many people need to tell you that you don't have to cut anything? Get it, put it on, ride, be happy
Old 12-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #49609
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,491
Pardon my lack of knowledge here...

But when you put 1-1/8 bars on, are they 7/8 on the ends where the controls go? And is the inner diameter on the ends the same as 7/8 bars?

I know if I upgraded to thicker bars I'd need new inboard mounts for my handguards, but would all the controls/throttle tube still bolt right on?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #49610
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,862
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

My wrists stay in a nuetra/naturall postion better. It's probably because I have broad shoulders and long caveman arms...

I like narrow bars so I'll probably cut 1/2"-1" off each end. They fit between trees better.

Before you cut the bars down make sure that all of the controls fit first.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #49611
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Bender in the wet sand

Took "Bender" to some wet sand today.

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android AppUploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Step-son is learning to ride on a KX500,,,,he's doing damn good.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #49612
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Hey Beechum.

Ice chest for the motor:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...uctId=11195426
THanks Buddy. I was on my phone last night, and just clicked through and bought it, delivery to the store.... It's the same exact cooler I have that i took to the tecate hare scramble today. Glad I like it so much!!
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM   #49613
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

I haven't picked them up yet, probably next week when I get home from oxnard I'll stop by the mailbox. And THEN, i probably won't install them until I get my motor back from CW. Lost 2nd a few weeks ago, and I'm just going to get it done up right.... cloverleaf, boomstick, headfins, replace 2nd, kicker, rebuild starter. Then send the other 650 motor off for the deluxe treatment, then send the two other 600 motors I have sitting, mocking me.... SHould be a good year (o'13) for kicking some ass and breaking some frames.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #49614
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
Took "Bender" to some wet sand today.

That is a helluva "learner bike"
ThumpnRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #49615
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
That tank install is "interesting" to say the least!
The tank has a spot underneath where the spacer bar is supposed to "rest". (Spacer bar...for lack of the correct term = the piece that bolts to the engine mount bolt)On my application it would rest on the spacer bar 1/2" before the lower bolt holes lined up.
I tried it with the rubber grommets on the ends, without the grommets and every position it would move to. I even moved it to the back bolt as one install video showed. The directions call for the front bolt to be used. Nothing worked. I don't have that part installed and it doesn't seem to affect anything.
I moved the rectifier off the upper bolt as the corner of it would hit the upper bolt on the metal bracket. The tank still rubs slightly on the fins. I still have to rectify(pun intended) that problem.

You do the same! Oh, and welcome to ADV too!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=449214

http://www.austinguitarrepair.com/im...ank_XR650L.pdf
bomber1965 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #49616
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Before you cut the bars down make sure that all of the controls fit first.

Thats what I said "Probably"...

I learned that lesson over 30 years ago...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #49617
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Pardon my lack of knowledge here...

But when you put 1-1/8 bars on, are they 7/8 on the ends where the controls go? And is the inner diameter on the ends the same as 7/8 bars?

I know if I upgraded to thicker bars I'd need new inboard mounts for my handguards, but would all the controls/throttle tube still bolt right on?
Yup they reduce down to 7/8". Inner diameter is probably different from the OEM steel bars if you're looking at aluminum bars. That usually doesn't matter if you're thinking about handguards. Pro-taper (and probably others) lists the available control area on their Contour specs page:
http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/contour

mcma111 likes the "CR High" bend if I remember correctly. I'm 6'3" and I like the Woods High with about 2.5" of height coming from the lower clamps. The Woods High and CR High have similar dimensions. I tried the Pastrana FMX and they are great for standing but too high for sitting. They work fine with the OEM cables.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #49618
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Unfortunately it's not a whine. It's a fact that motorcycles are looked right thru by the masses. Here is an article that explains the problem better than I can at the present time.

It's my firm belief that anyone getting a license to drive(whatever) on the public highway system should have to take a mandatory BRC(basic riding course) so they learn first hand what Motorcyclists have to deal with regarding other highway users.
Actually, there is a lot of sense in what you say. When I took my driver's license training in Japan (required, even though I had 10+ years of licensed driving in the States), ALL students had to spend a bit of time on scooters. The purpose was to give automobile drivers a sense of what 2-wheeled riders faced (another reason is that the auto license allows the holder to also ride scooters). A scooter is not a motorcycle, of course, but this system ensures that every driver in the country has spent some time on a motor-driven 2-wheeler. Not a bad idea.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 PM   #49619
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post

One thing for sure, he won't make any mistake twice...

RZ Rob
RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #49620
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Yup they reduce down to 7/8". Inner diameter is probably different from the OEM steel bars if you're looking at aluminum bars. That usually doesn't matter if you're thinking about handguards. Pro-taper (and probably others) lists the available control area on their Contour specs page:
http://www.protaper.com/products/handlebars/contour

mcma111 likes the "CR High" bend if I remember correctly. I'm 6'3" and I like the Woods High with about 2.5" of height coming from the lower clamps. The Woods High and CR High have similar dimensions. I tried the Pastrana FMX and they are great for standing but too high for sitting. They work fine with the OEM cables.
Thank you! I've been considering going to the 1-1/8 bars on mine sometime next year. It would be nice to have some higher bars for standing. I've got some OLD protaper aluminum 7/8 bars on it right now.

So what are the advantages of the fat bars over the 7/8?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote