Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #49636
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Has anyone ever put air scoops on the side of the engine to aid in cooling instead of adding an oil cooler?

For example the Ulysses has air scoops for cooling

Maybe an air scoop with a big mouth that narrows down to increase air velocity/flow over the cool fins like they do for radiators http://www.cycraracing.com/review-pf-shroud-12-ktm.html ?

I'm sure air scoops wouldn't decrease oil temps as much as an oil cooler, but air scoops could hold up to abuse without leaking oil.. and could be cheap.

I'm just looking for a way to keep the engine cool for highway trips (50-70 mph all day).

Good idea? Bad idea? Better ideas?

Never heard of any air scoops other than what comes on the stock tank. But a big fin head will do a lot to keep the oil temperatures in check. Maybe as much as an oil cooler will. No worries about oil leaks with one either.

I have ridden 5 to 6 hours straight, in 100 heat at 70 MPH. I never saw my oil temp go above 250.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:15 AM   #49637
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 675
Quote:
Has anyone ever put air scoops on the side of the engine to aid in cooling instead of adding an oil cooler?

Maybe an air scoop with a big mouth that narrows down to increase air velocity/flow over the cool fins like they do for radiators http://www.cycraracing.com/review-pf-shroud-12-ktm.html ?

I'm sure air scoops wouldn't decrease oil temps as much as an oil cooler, but air scoops could hold up to abuse without leaking oil.. and could be cheap.

I'm just looking for a way to keep the engine cool for highway trips (50-70 mph all day).

I think there is a couple people who have made some,
If I had a eidetic memory I could tell you the name of a guy from a forum that made some and claims he is getting about the same drop in temp as a oil cooler,(I'm sure at speed)
he did a little write up about it and honestly I'm sold, I have it on my "to do" list to make some for mine, If I don't come into a bunch of cash and buy one of those oil cooler kits, altho' the oil cooler would probably be overkill for my only riding in the winter except when I bury it snow and have to keep shutting it down so It doesn't get too hot.
the one important fact that I do remember is him discovering how little air actually gets to the engine with no scoops.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #49638
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:

I can tell you that the oil cooler dropped my highway temps a lot (I don't remember the exact numbers... and I have a Vanpelt cooler FWIW). I can also tell you that the big fin head dropped temps a lot.... and when I had to go back to having an OEM tank I put the elephant ears back on the tank but had to "trim" the shit out of them to make them fit around my big fin head and my temps were about the same as with the head cooler combo. FWIW if you have a big fin head and you put the ears on you are going to need a clutch cable that is 6 inches longer than OEM to clear the head/fin area and not melt the shielding.

-Barron
Old 12-03-2012, 06:06 AM   #49639
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 353
Quote:

i've begun experimenting with air scoops. i bought the one below off flebay to try. it's from a honda gl 500 silverwing. haven't mounted it up yet. i may get others and keep trying. ideally i'd like an xr400 cooler setup. i have a clarke 4.0 tank, fyi.

2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 AM   #49640
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,222
Big fins would be a great solution... but I think I can fabricate some air scoops for less $$

I couldn't find anything online so if someone gets a good air scoop setup then post up some pics!

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #49641
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
THanks Buddy. I was on my phone last night, and just clicked through and bought it, delivery to the store.... It's the same exact cooler I have that i took to the tecate hare scramble today. Glad I like it so much!!
Should I have to take the valve cover off? I did....

And ship USPS right?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.

beechum1 screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 08:11 AM
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #49642
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
All in jest my friend, I think you'll love what that fork brace does for the handling.
I can't wait That should be the final piece of the puzzle to make her turn more like I'd like
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #49643
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
to do that sierra you need more than a brace...youll see...you need to play with oil weights, levels, springs and fork tube height in the clamps...

a simple trick to do before doing any mods is precisely my last comment

raise or lower your forks in the clamps in say 3mm increments or something like a 1/4 inch lower then higher. up to about an inch inch and a half up in the forks(thats kind of the limit for offroading)

see what works best in turns or carving...see what pushes the front end and makes it wash out then take note...of UTMOST importance is to set perfect REAR SAG

FIRST!

the most important thing to do on any bike is SPRINGS for your weight...then play around.

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #49644
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Question I need longer pegs than the stockers to fit my size 13 boots on

Anybody know of some pegs that stick out a little farther to give me more room for my size 13 feet? I know some companies make wider pegs front-to-back, but I need some that are longer side-to-side so I can move my feet abit more on the pegs while standing. The stockers are just to narrow and cramped for my big ole feet
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 AM   #49645
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Anybody know of some pegs that stick out a little farther to give me more room for my size 13 feet? I know some companies make wider pegs front-to-back, but I need some that are longer side-to-side so I can move my feet abit more on the pegs while standing. The stockers are just to narrow and cramped for my big ole feet
Hey, Sierra,

Spud Rider introduced these to me; I have had them for about 6 months, and they are far better than the stock foot pegs. They cost me about $15 with shipping! (There are a few rust spots on them now; I will have to paint them or something. Otherwise, very solid.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-CR80-X...sories&vxp=mtr

PD
Old 12-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #49646
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Sierra,

Spud Rider introduced these to me; I have had them for about 6 months, and they are far better than the stock foot pegs. They cost me about $15 with shipping! (There are a few rust spots on them now; I will have to paint them or something. Otherwise, very solid.)
PD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Or go with the bling ($$$) here or here...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:18 AM   #49647
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Just for the gals!

Hey girls!
Been wondering what to get that Adventure Rider stud in your life for Christmas?
How about THE prefect gift, a riding suit?
Yes, FRITZCOINC of Houston anounces an exclusive pre-release to XRL owners sign in members!

Areo Stich 48L Road Crafter, black, two pc suit, in excellent condition $450 plus shipping
Hein Gericke leather two pc suit, jacket XL, pants 34 waist with no hem at cuff yet. As new, not worn. $225 plus shipping. WOW what a deal!!!

I am 6'1" at 225 pounds and both fit me well. The Areo has room for sweater and the long pant insures no HI-WATER look while on your bike. The Hien Gericke has room for sweater when used without the linner. The jacket has two jippers so you can get the fit a leatrher suit should have, sexy tight or lose and cool.

The Aero Stich is the sport contour but is comfortable for upright riding position too. Reflective stuff and jippers are 100%. Suit has only foam pads at elbows and sholders.Other types of pads can be put in.
The Hein Gericke suit is of extraordianary quality and looks WAY cool. Jacket has a jip in linner pants do not. Jacket has foam covered plastic pads at sholder and elbows. Pants have none. Pants have accordian joints for great flexibility.

LIMITED TIME OFFER... ACT NOW!.... I CAN'T DO THIS ALL DAY.... POSTING IN FLEA MARKET SOON!

PM NOW! DON'T WAIT!

Why am I selling? Have you ever been to Houston? If not, you just don't need this much outer wear here.

Link to more photos:http://fritzcoinc.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-gear/21633608_2ZNjjz#!i=2241074991&k=xrNmrr8

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 11:24 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:48 PM   #49648
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Hey girls!
Been wondering what to get that Adventure Rider stud in your life for Christmas?
How about THE prefect gift, a riding suit?
Yes, FRITZCOINC of Houston anounces an exclusive pre-release to XRL owners sign in members!

Areo Stich 48L Road Crafter, black, two pc suit, in excellent condition $450 plus shipping
Hein Gericke leather two pc suit, jacket XL, pants 34 waist with no hem at cuff yet. As new, not worn. $225 plus shipping. WOW what a deal!!!

I am 6'1" at 225 pounds and both fit me well. The Areo has room for sweater and the long pant insures no HI-WATER look while on your bike. The Hien Gericke has room for sweater when used without the linner. The jacket has two jippers so you can get the fit a leatrher suit should have, sexy tight or lose and cool.

The Aero Stich is the sport contour but is comfortable for upright riding position too. Reflective stuff and jippers are 100%. Suit has only foam pads at elbows and sholders.Other types of pads can be put in.
The Hein Gericke suit is of extraordianary quality and looks WAY cool. Jacket has a jip in linner pants do not. Jacket has foam covered plastic pads at sholder and elbows. Pants have none. Pants have accordian joints for great flexibility.

LIMITED TIME OFFER... ACT NOW!.... I CAN'T DO THIS ALL DAY.... POSTING IN FLEA MARKET SOON!

PM NOW! DON'T WAIT!

Why am I selling? Have you ever been to Houston? If not, you just don't need this much outer wear here.

Link to more photos:http://fritzcoinc.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Motorcycle-gear/21633608_2ZNjjz#!i=2241074991&k=xrNmrr8

Let the Village People jokes begin...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #49649
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
What am I missing here?????

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRAME-YES-I-...d9ebde&vxp=mtr
Old 12-03-2012, 01:09 PM   #49650
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,679
the crack
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote