Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2012, 05:50 PM   #49756
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
Isn't the KTM 300 close to that range of power to weight ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Its lighter, around 230lbs and the horse power is ~40ish which is fairly smooth for a smoker.
I'd love a street legal 300......230lbs and 40hp would be fine by me

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Sorry, I doubt 2- stroke dual sports are in the near future...

Just drink the kool-aid and get a 2013 KTM 500 EXC. About 60rwhp and weighs about 250#'s less fuel.

The problem is the amount green the kool-aid costs....
I'd LOVE to drink some used kool-aid and pick up something like a KTM 500 and dual sport it, just too many obstacles in the way. My state use to be very easy to dual sport a dirt bike in, but they've made it harder over the last few years, and I doubt even here I'd be able to plate a 2 stroke. Plus pre-mixing everytime you filled up would be a pain.....I'd want oil injection like all my old 2 stroke street and dual sport bikes had.
What sucks is they have some sweet 2 stroke dual sports in other parts of the world....just not here. They also have a factory dual-sported xr650r......but do WE get it?? Nooooooo
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #49757
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
I miss my old Suzuki TS185 2 stroke sometimes. wheelie machine!
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #49758
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Laugh Put on XR's only tank decals to hide the yellowing of my white tank..worked great!!

I just finished putting the XR's only IMS tank decals on my IMS tank, they really look good on the white tank, and hide the light tan color the tank has developed over the years very well. I was tired of trying to keep the white tank looking semi-white.....so I was going to try the decals before buying a new red tank. The decals cover the majority of the tank sides where it was yellowing, and make the bike look great. Way cheaper than a new tank
The decals are super thick, and have a seriously heavy duty adhesive on them, so I highly doubt they'll be peeling off any time soon

I would highly suggest to anybody with a white tank, especially an IMS, to pick up a set of these decals and stick them on.....it'll be way better than watching your white tank turn yellow
Old 12-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #49759
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,621
Sierra,

Let us know in about a months time if the tank stickers have started to bubble.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #49760
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
To this day I am still amazed I did this a long time ago ( age 16 or 17 ). I rode a TS 185 with rusted stiff, frozen solid rear shocks off road for most of the day once and at high speeds. The rear end was jumping back and forth like a cats tail. I could have been killed. Ah those were the days.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #49761
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I miss every 2 stroke I've ever owned (except my suzuki GT550...it was a dog).....I loved my 2 strokes. I've owned over 100 machines, and the majority of them were 2 strokes, street and dirt bikes. I think the 2 stroke engine was the best design ever invented, I wish I could stick a 2 stroke engine in my XR-650L......that would make me one happy camper.

In fact I think I might research it a bit, we don't have bike inspections of any kind in my state, so as long as the frame is street legal and plated, they don't care what engines in it.
CR-500L anybody?
Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #49762
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Sierra,

I've got my fingers crossed
Before I put the decals on, I cleaned the hell out of the tank with soft scrub, then soaked it with Bleche White whitewall tire cleaner and scrubbed more...the tank looked better than it has in years I think. I found out through experimentation that if you wax the tank and stop it from breathing, it'll start turning yellow bad within weeks. You need to keep the tank surface cleaned.....the better it breathes, the more gas fumes come out through the tank, instead of being trapped in the plastic.

I've never had a white tank from new, so I don't know if regular cleaning with soft scrub or Bleche White would keep the tank white, or just slow down the yellowing process tho.
The XR's only decals are perforated with holes all over and very close together...pretty much swiss cheese from my experience with similiar type decals in the past, they handle the gas fumes through plastic very well. One guy on thumper talk said his XR's decals were going on 4 years with no issues, and his pics looked great.

I will keep you guys informed tho
Old 12-06-2012, 08:53 PM   #49763
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'd love a street legal 300......230lbs and 40hp would be fine by me

I'd LOVE to drink some used kool-aid and pick up something like a KTM 500 and dual sport it, just too many obstacles in the way. My state use to be very easy to dual sport a dirt bike in, but they've made it harder over the last few years, and I doubt even here I'd be able to plate a 2 stroke. Plus pre-mixing everytime you filled up would be a pain.....I'd want oil injection like all my old 2 stroke street and dual sport bikes had.
What sucks is they have some sweet 2 stroke dual sports in other parts of the world....just not here. They also have a factory dual-sported xr650r......but do WE get it?? Nooooooo

The KTM500EXC is a 50 state legal dual sport.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #49764
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
The KTM500EXC is a 50 state legal dual sport.

Say whaaat?? Its not a 2 stroke is it? With about 60rwhp and weighing about 250#'s less fuel? And its a dual sport?? HOT DAMN!!!! I obviously haven't been keeping up with my bike info I have no clue how a gem like that slipped by me

Sounds like one of my street bikes will be going bye bye this spring to make way for something orange

I'll never get rid of the xrl tho

Old 12-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #49765
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Say whaaat?? Its not a 2 stroke is it? With about 60rwhp and weighing about 250#'s less fuel? And its a dual sport?? HOT DAMN!!!! I obviously haven't been keeping up with my bike info I have no clue how a gem like that slipped by me

Sounds like one of my street bikes will be going bye bye this spring to make way for something orange

I'll never get rid of the xrl tho

I give some serious props to the EXCs. especially the 500EXC. a few months ago I rode with a guy who had one brand new bone stock. surprisingly very quite bike too for all the ass he was haulin on that thing!
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #49766
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
You guys....why'd you go and have to add common sense and logic to my ranting ....funsuckers
You guys made very valid points........one being I imagine its true that most dual sports see more "dual use" than the 90% dirt mine see's. I used to consider my L heavy as a dual sport went, but since lightening it about 20lbs, and seeing where most of the other dual sports are weighing in at anymore, its starting to look like one of the lighter machines out there
I still think a 320lb dirt bike is too heavy tho.........
When are they going to bring 2 stroke dual sports back to the U.S.? They have'em in other parts of the world, the makers need to get them approved here, and get them to us
Like Fritz said, if you want light weight with good power, a 2 strokes the ticket. I'd be fine with a 270lb wet weight, 60rwhp 500cc 2 stroke dual sport

I get a funny feeling in my stomach every time I think about a CR500 dual sport. Someday...
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:45 PM   #49767
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
Well after allot of trial and error I found out something interesting!
The person working on this motor is not the only thing that's retarded .

cam card

Intake 104 deg Exhaust 105.5deg

reality

Intake 108 Exhaust 96.5

looks like this is contributing to my less then ideal exhaust valve clearance now I need to advance the cam, tryed one tooth forward on the cam sprocket but seemed too much (frogot to write numbers down) i guess its time to slot the cam sprocket unless any one has any ideas.
Moving the cam gear a whole tooth is too course. Maybe Cycle Wizard can weigh in on clearances for you. He's a Michigan guy too. We need to convince him to make a trick, adjustable sprocket. As is you have to slot it. Get a good carbide bit and have at it.
Old 12-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #49768
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

All the mags say the 500EXC is incredible. Amazing even. I see it more as a dirt bike with blinkers, than a small adventure bike. The problem is how comfy will it be after days or weeks of riding? The L fills a very special spot for me as the largest, comfiest bike that can ride single track easily. Anything bigger is a super pig and anything smaller is too strung-out, hyper, cramped etc. Also, it ain't gonna be an L when it comes to maintenance. You can have a Wattner level L for less money and they are way more rare and cool! Just depends on what you're shooting for. To connect trails or ride to OHV areas without a pick-up, hell yes! It's your machine. For multi day dirt biking adventuring?..not so sure.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #49769
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,102
500EXC IS amazing. If you ride tight fast whoopy stuff. I rode one in Colorado Springs. Just on, EFI, brakes like a slutty Christian, suspension like a fat chick.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #49770
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Sierra,

I have the same ones on mine-it came to me that way. They don't bubble because the stickers are perforated. Only the edge has lifted a little isn't even enough to be trimmed. I've had the bike almost 3 years now and they didn't look new when I bought it.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote