Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 10:18 PM   #49891
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
So I know a few folks have posted their Lithium battery swap projects. At the IMS motorcycle show last weekend, I visited the Shorai booth and a few others. One company claimed their battery was better because it had it's own cell management system built-in - but it was more expensive. Another claimed it was cheaper because they used "matched cells" however the competitor claimed that wasn't enough to offset management.

All of the companies had limited form factors and universal battery terminal posts, each of their own design. I'm thinking the lighter weight battery in the stock spot would help save my subframe and lighten my load. No reason to try to go the extreme route of inside the airbox.

Comments?

RZ Rob

Rob,

I am no mechanic (totally lost with the recent technician vs. engineer thread), but even I could do the Shorai battery relocation (many thanks to Spud Rider, of course). If your objective is weight loss/better handling/reduction of sub-frame stress, then relocate the battery to above the air box. It is really simple, and just removing that silly battery box will save you a lot of weight.

Just my personal opinion, but battery relocation doesn't qualify as extreme modification.

PD
Old 12-10-2012, 10:21 PM   #49892
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Rob,

I am no mechanic (totally lost with the recent technician vs. engineer thread), but even I could do the Shorai battery relocation (many thanks to Spud Rider, of course). If your objective is weight loss/better handling/reduction of sub-frame stress, then relocate the battery to above the air box. It is really simple, and just removing that silly battery box will save you a lot of weight.

Just my personal opinion, but battery relocation doesn't qualify as extreme modification.

PD
Rob, by the way, how was the show this year?

I was so disappointed last year (Seattle show), I told myself that I wouldn't go back again. The show had shifted to a new venue, and the number of vendors was down by 30%? 40%?

I guess that the answer is city specific, but what was your impression? (Seattle's show is later this week.)

PD
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 PM   #49893
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,498
Quote:
So I know a few folks have posted their Lithium battery swap projects. At the IMS motorcycle show last weekend, I visited the Shorai booth and a few others. One company claimed their battery was better because it had it's own cell management system built-in - but it was more expensive. Another claimed it was cheaper because they used "matched cells" however the competitor claimed that wasn't enough to offset management.

All of the companies had limited form factors and universal battery terminal posts, each of their own design. I'm thinking the lighter weight battery in the stock spot would help save my subframe and lighten my load. No reason to try to go the extreme route of inside the airbox.

Comments?

RZ Rob
here's a really good thread on lifepo batts.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770364
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.

beechum1 screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 12:10 AM
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #49894
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Damn... All weekend around here... nothing... and then all of a sudden there's a full on Fritz gang tackle!
An here I was off working and shit! I missed all the fun
Ah, I deserved it. You guys know I'm a shit.
Hello my name is Fritz, and I'm a turd. A big fat turd.
BUT
You can call me all the names you want, I have most likly earned that. But dont insult my beer. Thats getting personal. I don't drink skunk beer. I drink the National Beer of Texas!

Did someone post that the best beer was chilled in yellow snow or something? Who dun it?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #49895
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,479
Seriously: non XR related

You know being a turd, I have this peoblem with my work computer. I have some kind of program that brings up a tool bar at the bottom of my screen that has links to suggested sites. It also highlites and double underlines key words and phases, makes them look like a link. Like right now it has buttons for Physician Opportunities, Primary Care Physicians, Americian Medical, and alike.It's like a search engine. This thing comes on when ever I log in and is screwing up the normal operation of the site for me. The Icon is a "T" in a box. For example I can't use the "Quick Links" tab at all with this thing on
Ins't there some program you can get to keep these types of programs at bay or is it just something a turd has to live with?
Please, help your local turd.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:51 AM   #49896
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Man, I'm drinking shitty beer too... Must be a conspiracy!

At least I'm drinking shitty beer in the Keys

One Corona Light with supper.....
In the Keys, Corona Light, owns the coolest 650L on the planet, It figures you and fritz would be buddies

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:54 AM   #49897
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Ah, I deserved it. You guys know I'm a shit.
Hello my name is Fritz, and I'm a turd. A big fat turd.
BUT
You can call me all the names you want, I have most likly earned that. But dont insult my beer. Thats getting personal. I don't drink skunk beer. I drink the National Beer of Texas!

Did someone post that the best beer was chilled in yellow snow or something? Who dun it?

Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #49898
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,007
Quote:
You know being a turd, I have this peoblem with my work computer. I have some kind of program that brings up a tool bar at the bottom of my screen that has links to suggested sites. It also highlites and double underlines key words and phases, makes them look like a link. Like right now it has buttons for Physician Opportunities, Primary Care Physicians, Americian Medical, and alike.It's like a search engine. This thing comes on when ever I log in and is screwing up the normal operation of the site for me. The Icon is a "T" in a box. For example I can't use the "Quick Links" tab at all with this thing on
Ins't there some program you can get to keep these types of programs at bay or is it just something a turd has to live with?
http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Sear...-10122137.html
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:01 AM   #49899
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Control Panel/add-remove programs. Then see if there is a program there that looks unfamiliar that fits what you are describing or go to Internet Options add/remove toolbars and see if there is anything there that would relate to what you are seeing.

Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 07:03 AM   #49900
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
That's a good one too.

Steve
Old 12-11-2012, 07:08 AM   #49901
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:

Comments?

RZ Rob
How important it is for a motorcycle I don't know, but individual cell management is the way to go. Most good RC batteries do this,but it's a performance thing in that world. Also, the battery is safer and charges more completely. How much more $?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:10 AM   #49902
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,372
Quote:
Turd karma. You earned it.... deal with it
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:36 AM   #49903
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
North Carolina was too flat
Too flat? You were on the wrong side of the state.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #49904
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Bluhduh Can't win for losing...

I got around to swapping triple clamps and the fork brace this weekend.

If you remember, I had Pro Taper risers on the stock triple and they would hit the tank before full lock.
Now, the RSW triple hits the tank too...

I could probably grind off a little material from the bottom of the triple but would rather not. I can live with it but I thought(was hoping) this would take care of the situation.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #49905
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
In the Keys, Corona Light, owns the coolest 650L on the planet, It figures you and fritz would be buddies
Steve, I don't doubt your judgement, but there are some really cool bikes on this forum. "The coolest 650L on the planet" is quite the call. This I would like to see.

Attn: Mr. Corona Light. Please show yourself (well, your bike).

PD