Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2012, 08:21 AM   #49906
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Steve, I don't doubt your judgement, but there are some really cool bikes on this forum. "The coolest 650L on the planet" is quite the call. This I would like to see.

Attn: Mr. Corona Light. Please show yourself (well, your bike).

PD
Allow me to present............drumroll please

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=656909

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #49907
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 441
I didn't peg Wattner for a Corona Light kinda guy... Perhaps I missed something somewhere along the multi-page ride here. That bike is certainly way up on my best L builds list! Makes me wish for disposable income.
pngaudioguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #49908
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
here's a really good thread on lifepo batts.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770364
That's an excellent thread. Thanks for posting the link once again, Beech.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM   #49909
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
So I know a few folks have posted their Lithium battery swap projects. At the IMS motorcycle show last weekend, I visited the Shorai booth and a few others. One company claimed their battery was better because it had it's own cell management system built-in - but it was more expensive. Another claimed it was cheaper because they used "matched cells" however the competitor claimed that wasn't enough to offset management.

All of the companies had limited form factors and universal battery terminal posts, each of their own design. I'm thinking the lighter weight battery in the stock spot would help save my subframe and lighten my load. No reason to try to go the extreme route of inside the airbox.

Comments?

RZ Rob
My Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 battery has been performing flawlessly for over 30,000 miles. I'm very glad I bought my Shorai battery, and relocated it to the top of the air box. However, if I were going to purchase another LiFePO4 battery today, I would seriously consider the Antigravity 8-Cell battery, based upon the research conducted in the thread linked by Beechum1.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770364

Although they have never failed me, the Shorai battery terminals are pretty flimsy. The LFX09A2-BS12 battery only costs $105. However, the stronger battery terminals, stronger case and higher output obtained from the same size, Antigravity 8-Cell battery might be worth an extra $65.

Removing the battery box and relocating the battery to the top of the air box sheds another 4 pounds of highly placed weight from the bike. The XR650L is also more svelt with the "battery tumor" removed. In addition, I believe the CDI unit is subjected to far less vibration inside the air box, where it is also being cooled by air entering the carburetor.

I haven't had any problems whatsoever resulting from my Shorai battery relocation; neither have I heard of anyone else experiencing any problems after copying my Shorai battery relocation. Nevertheless, I understand why others might prefer to retain the stock battery box, and mount a lighter, LiFePO4 battery inside it. Relocating the battery or keeping the stock battery box is purely a matter of personal preference.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=666195

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 11:08 AM
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #49910
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I got around to swapping triple clamps and the fork brace this weekend.

If you remember, I had Pro Taper risers on the stock triple and they would hit the tank before full lock.
Now, the RSW triple hits the tank too...

I could probably grind off a little material from the bottom of the triple but would rather not. I can live with it but I thought(was hoping) this would take care of the situation.

Go ahead and grind it. I had to do the same thing. RSW did not think about aftermarket tanks when they designed this upper clamp piece. After some grinding and polishing, my set worked with my Acerbis 5.8 tank.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #49911
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
whats the addy brian ill send ya a sixer of Labats
Cool...i`m in....

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #49912
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,355
Shorai experience

There's been some chatter about Shorai batteries. I though I'd share my recent experience. I rolled the bike out of the garage on the day after Thanksgiving for one last ride before the snow flies. The bike fired right up and then died. hmmm... whazzup? Checked the choke, fuel was on, crank, crank, crank... nothing. After a few tries, the starter began slowing down and I thought I was going to have to try to kickstart it. I stopped to double check everything and hit the button again and the starter spun like crazy. I finally figured out that my sidestand safety switch died on me, but the take away is that these batteries really do wake up as they get warm.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #49913
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
There's been some chatter about Shorai batteries. I though I'd share my recent experience. I rolled the bike out of the garage on the day after Thanksgiving for one last ride before the snow flies. The bike fired right up and then died. hmmm... whazzup? Checked the choke, fuel was on, crank, crank, crank... nothing. After a few tries, the starter began slowing down and I thought I was going to have to try to kickstart it. I stopped to double check everything and hit the button again and the starter spun like crazy. I finally figured out that my sidestand safety switch died on me, but the take away is that these batteries really do wake up as they get warm.
Thanks for posting the good information, Red.

My LFX09A2-BS12 battery has always cranked strongly. My engine starts easily, even when the engine is cold. Once the engine is warm, my bike starts with only a quick touch to the starter button. Did you install the stronger, LFX14A2-BS12 battery? It only costs about $39 more than my LFX09A2-BS12 battery. However, the Antigravity 8-Cell battery has an even higher, cca rating than the LFX14A2-BS12 battery.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 11:56 AM
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #49914
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Here's a comparison of the three, LiFePO4 batteries which will fit on top of the XR650L air box.

Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 Battery
Cost: $105, delivered
9 Amp Hours PbEq
135 cca
Weight: 1.27 pounds

Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 Battery
Cost: $144, delivered
14 Amp Hours PbEq
210 cca
Weight: 1.68 pounds

Antigravity 8-Cell Battery
Cost: $170, delivered
9.7 Amp Hours PbEq
240 cca
Weight: 1.7 pounds

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 12:29 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 11:55 AM   #49915
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfixit54016 View Post
Go ahead and grind it. I had to do the same thing. RSW did not think about aftermarket tanks when they designed this upper clamp piece. After some grinding and polishing, my set worked with my Acerbis 5.8 tank.
Thanks for the reply!
I'm not going pulling the triple clamp again at least until spring!
I was also thinking of just heating the tank with a hair dryer or a heat gun(just a little bit!) and pushing the handlebars full lock against the tank and holding it there until it cools.

In my search for insulation for the left grip heater I scored a free(broken, and fixed ) throttle tube off a CRF(?) from the local dealer, for the left handle bar for the heated grips. I had to use a rubber mallet to get it onto the knurled end of the bar. I thought I was going to break it before it got all the way on.

One things for sure...it's not gonna come loose!

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #49916
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Here's how the stock, lead-acid battery in the XR650L compares to the much lighter, smaller, LiFePO4 batteries. The Yuasa YTX9-BS battery has the following specifications.

Yuasa YTX9-BS Battery
Cost: $65, delivered
8 Amp Hours
135 cca
Weight: 6.9 pounds

Your bike will weigh about 5.2-5.6 pounds less if you switch from the stock, lead-acid battery to one of the lighter, LiFePO4 batteries. You can shed another 4 pounds from the bike if you remove the stock battery box and relocate a LiFePO4 battery to the top of the air box. Installing a LiFePO4 battery is the easiest, least expensive way to remove the greatest amount of weight from the XR650L.

Spud
Old 12-11-2012, 12:22 PM   #49917
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

As you can see below, the "weakest" LFX09A2-BS12 battery has the same, 135 cca as the stock, lead-acid battery. However, the LFX09-BS12 battery has a higher rating of 9 amp hours, compared to the 8 amp hours of the stock, YTX9-BS battery.

Yuasa YTX9-BS Battery
Cost: $65, delivered
8 Amp Hours
135 cca
Weight: 6.9 pounds

Shorai LFX09A2-BS12 Battery
Cost: $105, delivered
9 Amp Hours PbEq
135 cca
Weight: 1.27 pounds

Shorai LFX14A2-BS12 Battery
Cost: $144, delivered
14 Amp Hours PbEq
210 cca
Weight: 1.68 pounds

Antigravity 8-Cell Battery
Cost: $170, delivered
9.7 Amp Hours PbEq
240 cca
Weight: 1.7 pounds

The remaining LiFePO4 batteries are rated much stronger than the stock, lead-acid battery.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-11-2012 at 12:36 PM
Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #49918
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,260
Which one is LiFePO4?

Whick one is the "LiFePO4" you keep mentioning? I'm going to go ahead and plan this change.

I was never afraid of the effort required for the relocation, but more a matter of compromise and deviation from stock - or the ability to return to stock if I should ever so desire.

On my last dual sport outing it became apparent to me that weight is not your friend in the dirt. Big difference between a CRF and an XR with saddlebags, tent etc.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #49919
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
whats the addy brian ill send ya a sixer of Labats

Its pronounced bluh
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #49920
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Its pronounced bluh

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote