Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #50011
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Nope, I noticed after my second post but didn't have time to add a picture.... The wife was too close...

Here ya go. .

Yeh know, looked at her and was blissful.

Then i seen the condition of those header tubes seeing the service there getting I'm sure mine wouldn't be any better
Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #50012
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,481
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Say what???? . . . . Hit a hammer with a hammer??? . . .

What have you been smoking?

Wow I'm speechless...
Yeah, old Sargent Schultz is drinking that Bear Wiz beer again!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #50013
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post

Then i seen the condition of those header tubes seeing the service there getting I'm sure mine wouldn't be any better
Header tubes??? What header tubes??? I see headlights... But they look good to me

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:28 AM   #50014
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post

Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 AM   #50015
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
This gage is availabe from an industrial hose supplier Sea Fast.Their part number PT1550. The stem length is 5". And this is quick and easy to make something close to what Spud did. Just drill a tight fitting hole for the stem in the OEM filler plug. When you get bored with the gage just pull it out and put a screw in the hole. The colored dots are reflective tape and were cut with a leather punch. They represent the normal temp. ranges I see here in Houston for my 96 XR. A good addition would be an LED light so you can monitor the gage at night.

Spud made a cool gage but the BEST I have ever seen was made by LexLeroy. But you need some metal lath time to copy his.

PS: more to follow on oil temps. soon. I've been testing ???????????

Thanks Fritz!!! You know for all of the hell you catch on here for being an asshole you've given some fair, reasonable, and non-bitchy responses with good info!!!!

Preciate it... Keep drinking that Texas beer too! If Texas beer is good enough for Robert Earl Keen to mention in songs (Bluegrass Widow) and good enough for Hank Hill and crew to regularly consume then it's good enough in my book too! For the record I prefer a good IPA... but like the women I met before my wife I'm not known to cull much!
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #50016
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
We all do dumb shit and don't realize it until either some one is kind enough to point it out or things don't go as planed, with that said and seeing the hogans hero clip I have the urge to go up to Frankenmuth (http://www.frankenmuth.org/)for a Stine of German inspired greatness and a chicken dinner.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #50017
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Thanks Fritz!!! You know for all of the hell you catch on here for being an asshole you've given some fair, reasonable, and non-bitchy responses with good info!!!!

What Fritz an asshole??? Not...

Twisted?????? well uh...

Does Howdy Duty have woody balls??? Do bears $hit in the woods??? Can Pigs fly???

Yes. No doubt about it. Ya. Most definately. For sure. Positively. Yup. Affirmative.

Thats my answer for all off the above questions but one(and I'm not checking that one)... You guess which one....

Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #50018
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Yes, I know. I was making a joke, AudioGuy.

Spud

are you sure?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 AM   #50019
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
If you have a stock battery that isn't giving problems, why change. My bike is a 2006. I bought it in January of 2006. It has never been on a charger or battery tender, ever. Two winters ago I broke my bike in late September, didn't get it put back together again until the next 4th of July, the OEM battery started it right up, after sitting for 9 plus months. Last winter I had to split the cases to fix a shifting problem. Again the battery sat for several month, although not as many. It still started the bike. The battery is almost 7 years old now. The stock batteries are tough, why change?

Walter
My battery hasn't died... yet... but it spins over pretty slow on cold mornings (below 50*). So I have no doubt it will need to be replaced soon. As long as I'm replacing it, I want something more powerful and lighter weight, and the battery relocations looks like a good mod to me.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #50020
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,512
I made my own temp gauge setup for mine using the stock dipstick and a digital cooking thermometer ($8 at Bi-Mart). So far it works great, doesn't leak. The only problem is on really rainy days it fogs up a little inside the screen, and it turns off after a while.

So far the highest temp reading I've had was 202* with my Clark 4 gallon tank.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:27 AM   #50021
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
are you sure?
About what?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #50022
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Hey Spud (or anyone else) about a month or so ago you did a write up on replacing the dipstick with a cheaply constructed oil temperature gauge using a cheap Harbor Freight gauge and a nut from Ebay (I think?)... Do you happen to still have that information handy or know the page/thread number from where you posted that info? You still happy with this cheap mod?

I'm ready to do this mod. I recently de-winged my XRL and will be adding a larger tank at some point next year so I want to start monitoring the temp. After installing this gauge what temp is considered to be too hot?

I know the digital gauge provides a much more accurate reading but at this point I'm not ready to add any additional electronics.

Thanks!
Whatever you do, don't buy an XRs Only Temperature Gauge, Clint. A fellow inmate loaned me an XRs Only, dipstick thermometer; I don't think they are very acccurate, or very easy to read. Also, the lens fogs up, and these thermometers occasionally leak oil. For less than $20, I suggest you make a digital thermometer so you can monitor the bike's oil temperature.

I purchased an aluminum, oil cap bolt on eBay from the following vendor; it was $12.95, delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-FILL-CAP...sories&vxp=mtr

After drilling a hole through the aluminum bolt, I inserted a Harbor Freight, digital thermometer.

This dipstick thermometer is very accurate, and it does not leak oil. It costs less than $20, and is very easy to fabricate. In addition, it is very easy to read. If this digital thermometer ever fails, you can easily find an inexpensive replacement at any Harbor Freight store. I fabricated this thermometer to compare oil temperatures between the oil reservoir and the temperature probe location for my TTO Temperature Gauge.

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer is frequently on sale, and accurately measures temperatures to one-tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 12-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #50023
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
My battery hasn't died... yet... but it spins over pretty slow on cold mornings (below 50*). So I have no doubt it will need to be replaced soon. As long as I'm replacing it, I want something more powerful and lighter weight, and the battery relocations looks like a good mod to me.
Pull apart your starter and clean and check the brushes. Hard starts are the precursor to walking along way in gear.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #50024
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
About what?

Spud
Making a joke.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #50025
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post

Your mention of bliss and dirty headers reminds me. Shop Girl Laurie says you can help prevent rust on your header pipes if you clean your motorcycle regularly.

Spud