Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #50041
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I'm just sitting back enjoying my wife playing a Zumba workout on the Wii in front of me. In her underwear...

Pics or it didn't happen!!!!

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:43 PM   #50042
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,663
Screw the pic's. We want VIDEO...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #50043
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
See post two up ^

I couldn't safely scroll until minute or two so ago....

Gotta go Red Alert....

Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #50044
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Screw the pic's. We want VIDEO...

x 2!!!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:51 PM   #50045
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Thanks Fritz!!! You know for all of the hell you catch on here for being an asshole you've given some fair, reasonable, and non-bitchy responses with good info!!!!

Preciate it... Keep drinking that Texas beer too! If Texas beer is good enough for Robert Earl Keen to mention in songs (Bluegrass Widow) and good enough for Hank Hill and crew to regularly consume then it's good enough in my book too! For the record I prefer a good IPA... but like the women I met before my wife I'm not known to cull much!
Thanks the kind words. I really needed some encouragement. With the rush of the holidays, end of year at work, and you know someone here said I was a "turd". That comment really weighed heavely on me.
I went to my psychiatrist and told him " I keep thinking about suicide." He told me from now on I have to pay in advance.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:54 PM   #50046
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,683
Quote:
I'm just sitting back enjoying my wife playing a Zumba workout on the Wii in front of me. In her underwear...
Man you are one lucky guy. Ya see, I'm not a sexy guy. I went to a hooker. I dropped my pants. She dropped her price.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #50047
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
I think there's a Honda back there somewhere...

Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #50048
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Cool2

Damn... Fly by time again. Sure looked good on the Fly thou...

Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM   #50049
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
I think there's a Honda back there somewhere...

Dang, I'm gonna have to sit here with my computer on my lap for another minute. Things just don't last like they used to.
junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:40 PM   #50050
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Whatever you do, don't buy an XRs Only Temperature Gauge, Clint. A fellow inmate loaned me an XRs Only, dipstick thermometer; I don't think they are very acccurate, or very easy to read. Also, the lens fogs up, and these thermometers occasionally leak oil. For less than $20, I suggest you make a digital thermometer so you can monitor the bike's oil temperature.

I purchased an aluminum, oil cap bolt on eBay from the following vendor; it was $12.95, delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-FILL-CAP...sories&vxp=mtr

After drilling a hole through the aluminum bolt, I inserted a Harbor Freight, digital thermometer.

This dipstick thermometer is very accurate, and it does not leak oil. It costs less than $20, and is very easy to fabricate. In addition, it is very easy to read. If this digital thermometer ever fails, you can easily find an inexpensive replacement at any Harbor Freight store. I fabricated this thermometer to compare oil temperatures between the oil reservoir and the temperature probe location for my TTO Temperature Gauge.

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer is frequently on sale, and accurately measures temperatures to one-tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.

Spud
Thanks Spud... I ordered that oil cap bolt today off of ebay and picked up the Harbor Freight digital thermometer tonite while I was there doing some Christmas shopping. For the record... Harbor Freight is a great place... while their tools may not be the highest of quality I can appreciate any tool store that sells nose hair clippers alongside socket sets and power tools! Thanks for the tip on steering clear of the xr's only gauge... The price of $39 for essentially a meat thermometer was enough to send me looking elsewhere.

So it looks like around 300 degrees is the official "turn off the engine and drink a beer" marker... right?
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #50051
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Thanks Spud... I ordered that oil cap bolt today off of ebay and picked up the Harbor Freight digital thermometer tonite while I was there doing some Christmas shopping. For the record... Harbor Freight is a great place... while their tools may not be the highest of quality I can appreciate any tool store that sells nose hair clippers alongside socket sets and power tools! Thanks for the tip on steering clear of the xr's only gauge... The price of $39 for essentially a meat thermometer was enough to send me looking elsewhere.

So it looks like around 300 degrees is the official "turn off the engine and drink a beer" marker... right?
You're welcome, Clint. Yes, I wouldn't ride the bike with oil reservoir temperatures exceeding 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

The oil in the reservoir is probably the coolest oil in the system. Oil coming right off the piston skirt is probably at least 50 degrees, or more, hotter than oil in the reservoir. Non-synthetic motor oil probably starts to degrade around 400 degrees Fahrenheit, so you want to stay comfortably below that temperature.

Also, I have noted my oil temperature seems to approach "critcal mass" as it approaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit in the oil reservoir. In other words, the temperature seems to want to continue to climb, even if I reduce speed. However, with my Spud Cooler installed, engine temperatures rapidly go down if I stop the bike for even a short period of time after oil temperatures approach 300 degrees. Therefore, it's wise to let the bike cool off, rather than watch oil temperatures continue to rise to dangerous levels.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #50052
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome, Clint. Yes, I wouldn't ride the bike with oil reservoir temperatures exceeding 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

The oil in the reservoir is probably the coolest oil in the system. Oil coming right off the piston skirt is probably at least 50 degrees, or more, hotter than oil in the reservoir. Non-synthetic motor oil probably starts to degrade around 400 degrees Fahrenheit, so you want to stay comfortably below that temperature.

Also, I have noted my oil temperature seems to approach "critcal mass" as it approaches 300 degrees Fahrenheit in the oil reservoir. In other words, the temperature seems to want to continue to climb, even if I reduce speed. However, with my Spud Cooler installed, engine temperatures rapidly go down if I stop the bike for even a short period of time after oil temperatures approach 300 degrees. Therefore, it's wise to let the bike cool off, rather than watch oil temperatures continue to rise to dangerous levels.

Spud

I like 275 degrees as a limit myself. A cooler is very smart addition.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM   #50053
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
I like 275 degrees as a limit myself. A cooler is very smart addition.

I don't think my oil temperature has exceeded 290 degrees Fahrenheit since I installed my Spud Oil Cooler. My XR650L will only approach that oil temperature when I am ascending very long, steep mountain trails, or riding WOT down the freeway for 35 miles, or more. However, it's not hard to exceed 275 degrees while climbing 2,500-4,000 vertical feet in the Rocky Mountains. If you can keep oil temperatures below 275 degrees, that's great. However, I think 300 degrees is a very practical, maximum temperature which will still prevent heat degradation of the engine oil.

If you remove the stock air scoops, and ride the bike hard, an oil cooler is a very wise investment. The oil cooler not only reduces oil temperatures while riding; it also cools the oil much more rapidly after you stop the engine. My oil cooler not only radiates heat from the cooler itself and its external oil lines; as the external oil cools it also reduces the oil temperature in the reservoir to which it is connected. At any given time, a large amount of the engine oil resides in the oil reservoir and downtube. Therefore, an oil cooler will greatly reduce operating oil temperatures after you restart the bike, and the much cooler, external oil is returned to the engine.

If anyone is interested, here's a link to the installation thread for my Spud Oil Cooler, which costs less than $100 to fabricate.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781962

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-13-2012 at 11:28 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #50054
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
My battery hasn't died... yet... but it spins over pretty slow on cold mornings (below 50*). So I have no doubt it will need to be replaced soon. As long as I'm replacing it, I want something more powerful and lighter weight, and the battery relocations looks like a good mod to me.
One thing to consider is that the battery box provides some support to the back of the subframe. Not saying it's essential, but it's something to consider.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:56 PM   #50055
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
"Venezuela. Coloooombia...." I am really starting to hate that thing.

Oh. And no underwear.