Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 AM   #50071
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Something else I plan to take care of in the next month or so is assembling my trail tool kit... What essential items (aside from an emergency oversized can of Foster's beer) do you all carry in your tool kit that you've found especially helpful and perhaps specific to the XRL? List 'em out.... Thanks!

Also... Anyone have experience with one of these? It's cheap... Looks like it has potential to earn it's keep in the garage or trailside.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380877

absoluteclint screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 07:54 AM
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 07:53 AM   #50072
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post

So my point is this. Adding an oil cooler may be a band aid on a more serious problem. That of a worn oil pump.
Thanks... I've been under the assumption that folks are opting for the oil cooler because of rising temps related to the removal of wings/air scoops due to the swap for an oversized tank, because they are riding in hot environments, and/or because they frequently sit with the engine running for an extended period of time (ie... sitting in traffic or poking around in the woods). I currently don't notice my XRL burning any oil but if/when I do I'll inspect the oil pump as you've suggested.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:01 AM   #50073
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Something else I plan to take care of in the next month or so is assembling my trail tool kit... What essential items (aside from an emergency oversized can of Foster's beer) do you all carry in your tool kit that you've found especially helpful and perhaps specific to the XRL? List 'em out.... Thanks!

Also... Anyone have experience with one of these? It's cheap... Looks like it has potential to earn it's keep in the garage or trailside.
Here you go.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #50074
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I did. I didn't take pics, but I used 5/8" steel dowel to insert into the frame where it was cracked; on both sides. I drilled ~1/4" holes perpendicular through the frame so that after I inserted the dowel, I could weld the holes of the frame, to the dowels inside the frame.
Let us know how rosette welding those 5/8" dowels worked. I was thinking of something like that just the other evening as a pretty easy way to cut & internally reinforce that section of the frame with DOM tubing even before the cracks start.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:30 AM   #50075
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
I see we are talking about oil tempratures, again. Here is some preliminary information I would like to share.My bike used alot of oil. I have a routine I go through and check it in the same manner often. The bike is well maintianed and both screens have been cleaned several times. The engine was steadly using more oil. So the research phase begain, that means a cold Lone Star beer and a read of the service manual. Under trouble shooting nothing seem to be amiss till the last item " poor oil pump performance". I have seen this before on my Harley which also has a dry sump system. So, I repalced the oil pump. Low and behold the initial checks showed no oil usage and antother benefit of increasing the oil flow in the engine was decreased oil temprature. Something like a 20 DF reduction.

Tearing down the old pump and performing dimensional inspection per the servicwe manual I found two of the four schavenger pump section lobes near high limit for wear and both were nicked and scratched badly as was the outer ring. The pressure side was not scratched or nicked but three of the four lobes were at mid tolerance indicating some significent wear. My bike has some 33K miles on it.I am the second owner and bought it with 2500 miles on the clock. I have changed oil regularly at around 2500 to 3000 miles.

Apearently the pump was in such bad shape it could not get enough oil out of the engine and this excess oil was getting blasted past the rings and consumed by the combustion process at a steady rate. Also the oil was not moving to the frame where it is cooled. On the pressure side the pump was moving less oil and this usually means higher engine temps. Both contribute to increased oil temp and comsumption.

So my point is this. Adding an oil cooler may be a band aid on a more serious problem. That of a worn oil pump.

It's probably would be a band-aid in your case. I'm sure you use lots of band-aids...

The idea is to prevent the boo boo from happening. In your case it already did.

fritz you sure unique...

But sometimes kinda Clueless...

I will say we seem to fit in sometimes

But we may tend to walk the line...

But fritz you don't lack any confidence

All I know is you lost the contest Laurie won by landslide....

(Picture not add for those at work)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=50034

I think we all came to the same conclusion...

The...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM   #50076
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

This is going to get placed as a screen saver on a certain co workers computer
Old 12-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #50077
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Thanks Beech... Hadn't run across that thread yet... That should keep me occupied for the remainder of the workday!
Old 12-14-2012, 09:06 AM   #50078
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,173
who has the wheel bearing rebuild thread bookmarked. Besides Fritz.

Made this tool to pull the bearing retainer. some 1/2" square tubing, and 1/4" round dowel.

Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #50079
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post

Example of Honda XR650L tool kit.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:12 AM   #50080
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
This is going to get placed as a screen saver on a certain co workers computer

This might work too...

Old 12-14-2012, 09:16 AM   #50081
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Example of Honda XR650L tool kit.

Well done. Nice choices.

At least your bike is prepared... Are you???

Old 12-14-2012, 09:24 AM   #50082
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
It's probably would be a band-aid in your case. I'm sure you use lots of band-aids...

The idea is to prevent the boo boo from happening. In your case it already did.

fritz you sure unique...

But sometimes kinda Clueless...

I will say we seem to fit in sometimes

But we may tend to walk the line...

But fritz you don't lack any confidence

All I know is you lost the contest Laurie won by landslide....

(Picture not add for those at work)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=50034

I think we all came to the same conclusion...

The...

Thanks for putting all that work into a post telling me I'm a turd.
But I think you missed my point, because I didn't make it very well. With an oil pump working at 100% the frame tank oil cooling is all you need. Adding more external plumbing for the cooler is also asking for a BOO BOO. Not to mention what COULD happen to a cooler as a result of a crash way out in the waste land. A new pump cost about $75 from Honda.

All the posters you posted were great. I really like the one with the cat and eagle. the cat, you may remember Fritz the Cat movie, is me. I'm going to kick that eagles ass!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #50083
SmokeBike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
I see we are talking about oil tempratures, again. Here is some preliminary information I would like to share.My bike used alot of oil. I have a routine I go through and check it in the same manner often. The bike is well maintianed and both screens have been cleaned several times. The engine was steadly using more oil. So the research phase begain, that means a cold Lone Star beer and a read of the service manual. Under trouble shooting nothing seem to be amiss till the last item " poor oil pump performance". I have seen this before on my Harley which also has a dry sump system. So, I repalced the oil pump. Low and behold the initial checks showed no oil usage and antother benefit of increasing the oil flow in the engine was decreased oil temprature. Something like a 20 DF reduction.

Tearing down the old pump and performing dimensional inspection per the servicwe manual I found two of the four schavenger pump section lobes near high limit for wear and both were nicked and scratched badly as was the outer ring. The pressure side was not scratched or nicked but three of the four lobes were at mid tolerance indicating some significent wear. My bike has some 33K miles on it.I am the second owner and bought it with 2500 miles on the clock. I have changed oil regularly at around 2500 to 3000 miles.

Apearently the pump was in such bad shape it could not get enough oil out of the engine and this excess oil was getting blasted past the rings and consumed by the combustion process at a steady rate. Also the oil was not moving to the frame where it is cooled. On the pressure side the pump was moving less oil and this usually means higher engine temps. Both contribute to increased oil temp and comsumption.

Good information - thanx.

Sounds like you take care of your bike, that said, what would cause the pump lobs to degrade ? My guess is that it only takes a little amount of particulate to this... just a guess.
SmokeBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #50084
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Thanks for putting all that work into a post telling me I'm a turd.
But I think you missed my point, because I didn't make it very well. With an oil pump working at 100% the frame tank oil cooling is all you need. Adding more external plumbing for the cooler is also asking for a BOO BOO. Not to mention what COULD happen to a cooler as a result of a crash way out in the waste land. A new pump cost about $75 from Honda.

All the posters you posted were great. I really like the one with the cat and eagle. the cat, you may remember Fritz the Cat movie, is me. I'm going to kick that eagles ass!

No problem. I know your feelings are hurt unless someone calls you a turd at least once a day....

Just thinkin about your mental health...

My thought on oil coolers is use a XR250 or XR400 cooler. Well protected and issue free if plumbed correctly.

I knew you would like the cat.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #50085
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBike View Post
Good information - thanx.

Sounds like you take care of your bike, that said, what would cause the pump lobs to degrade ? My guess is that it only takes a little amount of particulate to this... just a guess.

Here is one possibility...

Heat buildup can cause the oils shear strength to break down and metal flake to occur on high load surfaces. This metal then damages the pump.