Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #50116
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBike View Post
I have a buddy here in Portland that has a rightous oil cooler on his pig... I cant post pictures ... any idea how I can get the ability if at all ?
We would love to see some photos. Most of us sign up for Photobucket, or a similar web host for photographs. You can learn how to post photographs on these forums by reading the following thread.

http://chinariders.net/modules.php?n...wtopic&t=11188

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #50117
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 1,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Thank you, Chip. Those are the stock bolts holding the baffle in my muffler. I don't know the size of the bolts, and I can't find the bolt size in a parts diagram, either.

Spud
My guess would be M6 x 1. I'd go check mine but I parked it tail-to-the-wall behind the VStrom so that my spouse could get her car into the garage.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #50118
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
I don't think the stockers on any year are socket-head...
I'm sure you're correct, Dave. I am the third owner of my XR650L, so I can't verify those bolts are stock. I didn't change the bolts, so I assumed they were stock.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #50119
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Hey Spud,

How does the Primary Drive 650R sprocket compare to the Moose Racing?

I want to go to a 14T, and the PD one costs half as much as the Moose...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:56 PM   #50120
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Hey Spud,

The old $.02
In general, you get what you pay for. I recommend an OEM countershaft sprocket but the choice is yours.
Spud has documented much less output shaft spline wear when using the wider 650R sprocket.
There is a slight alignment issue with that sprocket however.
Spuds studies show this not to be an issue.
A smaller countershaft sprocket is the most inexpensive way to more reduction.
But a smaller sprocket increases chain wear, will wear through the chain slider and into the swing arm sooner than a 15T, and having the reduction at the point of load, using a bigger sprocket at the rear wheel, is more efficient.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #50121
prince_ruben
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I am. I also know about 2 or 3 other guys on L's that are going to make it. I have not decided if I am taking my tent trailer or just riding the bike with my gear. If I ride I just install my 15 tooth sprocket, highway pegs, and a seat pad. That makes the L into a touring bike for me. You should check out the carizo plans ride next month. A lot of the guys that do that ride do the DV noob ride. Ill decide on the trailer if I find someone to split the fuel cost with me. Here is the link to the Carrizo ride. http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...hlight=carrizo
I haven't decided if I'm gonna take the XRL or the GS but I'm gonna ride up. I'll look into this Carrizo Plain ride.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM   #50122
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
The old $.02
In general, you get what you pay for. I recommend an OEM countershaft sprocket but the choice is yours.
Spud has documented much less output shaft spline wear when using a 650R sprocket.
There is a slight alignment issue with that sprocket however.
Spuds studies show this not to be an issue.
A smaller countershaft sprocket is the most inexpensive way to more reduction.
But a smaller sprocket increases chain wear, will wear through the chain slider and into the swing arm sooner than a 15T, and having the reduction at the point of load, the rear wheel, is more efficient.
Thanks, I'm just trying to decide whether I want to stick with my 15t front and go with a 48 tooth rear and longer chain, or go to a 14t front with stock rear sprocket and stock length chain.

I've already got the Moose 15t front which is fairly new, but I need a new chain and rear sprocket soon. I can get a good deal on an EK O-ring chain that's 120L long at a local place and get a 48t rear for either $20 online, or $40 from that same shop.
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Old 12-14-2012, 04:06 PM   #50123
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,664
Quote:
Thanks, I'm just trying to decide whether I want to stick with my 15t front and go with a 48 tooth rear and longer chain, or go to a 14t front with stock rear sprocket and stock length chain.

I've already got the Moose 15t front which is fairly new, but I need a new chain and rear sprocket soon. I can get a good deal on an EK O-ring chain that's 120L long at a local place and get a 48t rear for either $20 online, or $40 from that same shop.
I change to 48 for long offroad trips and the standard 110 link chin fits this comb.on my 96.
When buying chains, " you get what you pay for" more dollars, more wear.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #50124
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 293
I was riding to grab some dinner and tight after I blared my horn at some idiot and when I came back off the clutch, a pathetic groan, grind, and Chris is broken down. Tried prayer and running through the gears (the cycled through fine) but when I released the clutch lever, nothing except an unhappy bike groaning and going not forward.

I don't have enough time on my new-to-me XRL to diagnose.

What's your diagnosis, doctors?
Old 12-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #50125
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
I was riding to grab some dinner and tight after I blared my horn at some idiot and when I came back off the clutch, a pathetic groan, grind, and Chris is broken down. Tried prayer and running through the gears (the cycled through fine) but when I released the clutch lever, nothing except an unhappy bike groaning and going not forward.

look down at the front sprocket to see if it is stripped or if the splines are stripped.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 PM   #50126
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Spud,

The PBI/Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets are a little narrower, and have a deeper chamfer than the Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprockets. Therefore, your Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprocket will be easier to install on your XR650L's countershaft. I like the Primary Drive, rear sprockets for the XR650L. However, I don't recommend the Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprocket, because it will require a lot more "persuasion" to install on the XR650L countershaft.

Spud
Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #50127
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
look down at the front sprocket to see if it is stripped or if the splines are stripped.
I agree; I fear you might have stripped the splines off the countershaft.

Spud
Old 12-14-2012, 06:25 PM   #50128
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I prefer to install the Primary Drive, 48T rear sprocket on my XR650L. I usually install a PBI, 14T, XR650R C/S sprocket for normal riding. However, I also have the option to install a 15T C/S sprocket for extended street riding, using the same, 110-link drive chain.

Spud
Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 PM   #50129
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
The PBI/Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprockets are a little narrower, and have a deeper chamfer than the Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprockets. Therefore, your Moose Racing, XR650R C/S sprocket will be easier to install on your XR650L's countershaft. I like the Primary Drive, rear sprockets for the XR650L. However, I don't recommend the Primary Drive, XR650R C/S sprocket, because it will require a lot more "persuasion" to install on the XR650L countershaft.

Spud
Thanks Spud. I think it was the Primary Drive rear 48 tooth that I was looking at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I change to 48 for long offroad trips and the standard 110 link chin fits this comb.on my 96.
When buying chains, " you get what you pay for" more dollars, more wear.
How much adjustment do you lose with the 110 link chain and a 48 rear?

Quote:
I prefer to install the Primary Drive, 48T rear sprocket on my XR650L. I usually install a PBI, 14T, XR650R C/S sprocket for normal riding. However, I also have the option to install a 15T C/S sprocket for extended street riding, using the same, 110-link drive chain.

Spud
Same question for you then... how much adjustment do you lose using the 110 chain with a 48 rear?
Quote:
Old 12-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #50130
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
...how much adjustment do you lose using the 110 chain with a 48 rear?
With a 14T/48T sprocket combination, the snail adjusters are on mark 10 with a brand new, 110-link drive chain. As the chain stretches, you can easily switch back and forth to a 15T C/S sprocket. I haven't verified it, but I think you could also install a 15T C/S sprocket with a new, 110-link drive chain. Of course, you can always buy a 112-link chain, or longer, and you will be certain the drive chain is long enough.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-14-2012 at 10:26 PM