Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 04:04 PM   #50386
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
OK, Since I'm at work and I don't have anything to do.

Along the lines of teaching kids to ride both my son and younger daughter have full size Ford Broncos. Yeah they pay a penalty for the gass bill but on the other hand I chose these vehicles because if they were to be in an accident they most likely would come out of it in better shape. All of my children are now in their late 20's. Correction, daughter #1 just turned 30. Boy time flies. None of them have ever been an accident.

Earlier this year daughter #2 stops in traffic only to have some fella in a BMW rear end her. No worries. Her Bronco has a 6" lift and rides on 35" tires. She got out to take a look. Mr BMW was shitting in his pants. She hopped in the Bronco and said it made a wonderful noise as she pulled off of his hood. Away she drove unscathed.
When I'm not on the bike, I'm driving my '95 F350 Crew Cab Diesel on 33's. About the only thing that's going to mess me up bad in a wreck would be a dump truck, bus, or semi.

I couldn't convince my wife to drive a diesel Excursion. The biggest she would go was a 2010 Escape.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #50387
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
94 F350 Crew 4x4 here. The wife (all 5' nothing of her) gets the Excursion Diesel

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #50388
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
94 F350 Crew 4x4 here. The wife (all 5' nothing of her) gets the Excursion Diesel
Paying California fuel prices to feed those things must put you into the cold sweats. $100 a tank to feed my F150 is bad enough, I couldn't imagine feeding it in California.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #50389
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 333
Quote:

Wow. In San Francisco! I am truly impressed.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #50390
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Paying California fuel prices to feed those things must put you into the cold sweats. $100 a tank to feed my F150 is bad enough, I couldn't imagine feeding it in California.
I installed a larger rear tank on my Powerstroke... so now it has a 19 gallon front and a 38 gallon rear. Filling that beast up makes you're wallet hurt! Over $200 easy. And that is part of the reason that I commute on the XR. That, and Oregon State charges $200 a year for a regular parking pass, but only $65 a year for the motorcycle pass. And the motorcycle parking is WAY better!

I still love it that I can get 19-20 mpg out of this thing when I'm driving all freeway down to SoCal to visit the in-laws though:

Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Old 12-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #50391
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Well I got my new 48t rear sprocket on today, and threw on a new 112 link RK chain. The chain seems like it may be a little little too long, but I still have it up on the bike jack and I haven't properly adjusted it yet. I'm sure once I strap the swingarm up level it will be fine...
I have a 110-link drive chain installed with my 14T/48T sprocket combination. Don't be surprised if you discover you might wish to remove 2 links from your longer drive chain.
Quote:
...Just to be sure (this is actually my first chain install) is there anything I need to do to make sure the "top" section of chain and "bottom" section of chain are even?...
No, you don't need to do anything special; you can't screw it up. The rear sprocket will automatically adjust the drive chain so it is evenly distributed.
Quote:
...Next up will be the new chain roller for right below the C/S per the advice of Spud. I'll probably end up putting rollers at the rear slider as well like he did because it looks to be getting worn down.

Then I'll be putting on my new fork skins to hopefully help my fork seals stay alive longer, since the previous owner ditched the fork boots.
The chain slipper roller will work great for you, PD. However, I don't recommend putting rollers in the chain guide. The impact from the drive chain will eventually cause the plastic chain guide to crack at the bolt holes for the rollers. The stock setup is best for the chain guide, unless you ditch that slider completely, and allow the chain to exit the bottom of the chain guide. I've been riding my bike for over 15,000 miles with the chain guide slider removed. I haven't throw off the drive chain, so I guess I'm not riding hard enough to need to contain the drive chain within the chain guide. Maintaining the drive chain and rear wheel is much easier when the drive chain can exit the bottom of the chain guide.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 04:53 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #50392
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Wow. In San Francisco! I am truly impressed.

The two F350 crew cabs (one has a 11'4" camper) and F100 are parked round the corner. Love playing musical trucks on street sweeping days.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:47 PM   #50393
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Any chance anyone has a clutch kit or even good used clutch plates laying around?
I've been commuting on my Vstrom for the last 2 months and today when I rode the XR, the clutch slipped when I gunned it in 4th to pass a 4 wheeler on my way home. I tested again in 4th and 5th to be sure and just like my old VW, when the engine hit torque peak in a high gear the doggone clutch slipped. There is good slack in the cable, so thats not it.
We were planning a 6 day Mexico run, leaving on the 26th, so this really bites.
I'll call all the shops in Austin, S.A. and Houston tomorrow, but I bet nobody keeps it in stock.
35000 miles so I guess I cant bitch too much, But I really wanted to do this trip.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:51 PM   #50394
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JThompson View Post
Any chance anyone has a clutch kit or even good used clutch plates laying around?
I've been commuting on my Vstrom for the last 2 months and today when I rode the XR, the clutch slipped when I gunned it in 4th to pass a 4 wheeler on my way home. I tested again in 4th and 5th to be sure and just like my VW, when the engine hit torque peak in a high gear the doggone clutch slipped. There is good slack in the cable, so thats not it.
We were planning a 6 day Mexico run, leaving on the 26th, so this really bites.
I'll call all the shops in Austin, S.A. and Houston tomorrow, but I bet nobody keeps it in stock.
35000 miles so I guess I cant bitch too much, But I really wanted to do this trip.
Pretty sure Rockymountainatv.com is having a free 2-day shipping day today... and the Tusk clutch kit is only $50 from them.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...prings?ref=gmc
Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #50395
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
The stock setup is best for the chain guide, unless you ditch that slider completely, and allow the chain to exit the bottom of the chain guide. I've been riding my bike for over 15,000 miles with the chain guide slider removed. I haven't throw off the drive chain, so I guess I'm not riding hard enough to need to contain the drive chain within the chain guide. Maintaining the drive chain and rear wheel is much easier when the drive chain can exit the bottom of the chain guide.

Spud
Looks like Rocky Mountain has the slider available for $10, so I'll probably just pick up a new one. I'll get it all adjusted and decide whether I want to cut two links off the chain or not.
Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #50396
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Pretty sure Rockymountainatv.com is having a free 2-day shipping day today... and the Tusk clutch kit is only $50 from them.

You beat me to the punch, BF. Several people have made good reports on the Tusk clutch kit, and you can't beat the customer service from Rocky Mountain ATV/MC.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 12-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #50397
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Looks like Rocky Mountain has the slider available for $10, so I'll probably just pick up a new one. I'll get it all adjusted and decide whether I want to cut two links off the chain or not.
Is RM ATV/MC selling the OEM, chain guide slider for $10, or the slider for their specific chain guide? The RM slider won't fit the Honda chain guide.

Spud
Old 12-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #50398
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Is RM ATV/MC selling the OEM, chain guide slider for $10, or the slider for their specific chain guide? The RM slider won't fit the Honda chain guide.

Spud
It's listed under their Honda OEM parts for $10.

Did you remove the whole chain guide? Or just the slider?
Quote:
Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #50399
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
It's listed under their Honda OEM parts for $10.

Did you remove the whole chain guide? Or just the slider?
I wasn't sure RM ATV/MC was still selling OEM parts. However, I found the link. The chain guide slider is selling for $9.66.

I kept the chain guide installed; it helps to prevent sticks and other objects from getting caught between the drive chain and the rear sprocket. The chain guide slider encloses the bottom of the chain guide, and helps to prevent the drive chain from departing the rear sprocket. However, many motorcycles don't enclose the drive chain within the chain guide. Honda put a slider in the chain guide because the XR650L has a lot of suspension travel, and a very aggressive rider might ride hard enough to throw the drive chain off the rear sprocket. I don't ride hard enough to worry about that scenario, so I decided to ditch the chain guide slider. I have since ridden over 15,000 miles without having the drive chain depart the rear sprocket. However, as always, YMMV (your mileage might vary).

Removing and installing the rear wheel is much easier when the drive chain can exit the bottom of the chain guide. However, if one jumps the bike and rides very aggressively, it's far safer to spend the $10, and keep the slider installed in the chain guide.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 12-20-2012 at 05:29 PM
Old 12-20-2012, 05:36 PM   #50400
JT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

Thanks, but ended 3PM MST.

I may still order thru them when I call tomorrow. We'll see.
Thanks