ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #50641
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!
 
Sub Zero's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Check out this link....

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...F-tank-shrouds

CRF plastics with a stock tank.... .

Hmmmmm...



those are not from an 04 - 05 crf450r like i said.

there is a thread of this bikes complete build somewhere on another foreign riding forum somewhere but i was unable to locate it. i will say though that the gas tank on this XR is from aloop and the radiator plastics are from a 2005 CRF450R from what i recall from the build thread.



imo its the best looking XR ive ever seen. and also, if i had to compare 2 bikes, one being extremely beat up, scratched, dirty, and cosmetically in nasty shape, and the other bike being a beautiful, well presented and nice looking bike, i would say hands down that the presentable bike would last wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy longer then the shitty looking one. in 99% of every case, i would be right. regardless what anybody says, a bike owner that does not care about the presentable appearance of his bike obviously also does not care about the mechanical condition of his bike. they go in hand. ex, if this owner is too lazy to replace broken plastic after a hard ride, or wash his bike and keep it clean and looking nice etc is in my eyes too lazy to do other things to his bike like change the oil reg, or replace chain and sprockets and do required maintenance.
__________________
1994 Yamaha WR250-Z | 1995 Kawasaki KX500 | 1998 Kawasaki KLX300 | 2004 Honda CRF450R (Motard) | 2009 Kawasaki KX450F | 2001 Honda XR650R | 1992 Yamaha WR200R

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem

Sub Zero screwed with this post 12-27-2012 at 10:20 PM
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #50642
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
...a bike owner that does not care about the presentable appearance of his bike obviously also does not care about the mechanical condition of his bike. they go in hand. ex, if this owner is too lazy to replace broken plastic after a hard ride, or wash his bike and keep it clean and looking nice etc is in my eyes too lazy to do other things to his bike like change the oil reg, or replace chain and sprockets and do required maintenance.
I'm sure there are exceptions. However, in most cases, I think you're right.

I hope you are healing well, Zero. What's your prognosis?

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 PM   #50643
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!
 
Sub Zero's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I'm sure there are exceptions. However, in most cases, I think you're right.

I hope you are healing well, Zero. What's your prognosis?

Spud
actually, I got back from a docs appointment yesterday (27th) with the doc and surgeons who worked on my knee and wrist. they were happy with the progress ive been making on my knee therapy (Im up to 55 degrees range of motion in my knee. 90 degrees would be bending your leg in a perfect L shape, 0 would be perfectly straight). they want to ramp up the intensity of the therapy and have me do "out patient therapy" which is going to a therapist "X" many of days a week and having him train me and do therapy a few hours each day i go.

I have a shit load of scar tissue built up in my knee and the muscles in my thigh are SUPER stiff and weak, but the thearpy should help break up that scar tissue, fix my muscles, and get me more range of motion. docs are expecting me to have 90 to 100 degrees range of motion. though they say it will NEVER be perfect or like my other knee. at least i should be able to ride dual sports and other motorcycles again
__________________
1994 Yamaha WR250-Z | 1995 Kawasaki KX500 | 1998 Kawasaki KLX300 | 2004 Honda CRF450R (Motard) | 2009 Kawasaki KX450F | 2001 Honda XR650R | 1992 Yamaha WR200R

"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?!?!?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #50644
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,601
I'm glad you are making good progress, Zero. Keep working hard at the physical therapy; range of motion is everything. I will remember you in my prayers.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:25 AM   #50645
Jud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jud's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: N.E. Ga. USA
Oddometer: 1,982
Recently installed a used Mikuni 42. It was supposedly jetted for around 3K feet at that "shoulda" been close enough for my normal 1.5K feet and I regularly ride at 3K+. But when installed it carburated like crap, way too rich. Would not accept WOT at all. I was working 70+hrs a week so I gave it to a local mechanic that I trust to rejet. He stated the jets that came in it were different that what he thought were OEM Mikuni, he thought they might have been Dyno-jet jets because he had to make a huge jump in jet size. I forgot the jets he installed but it is way better now but still it honestly sucks compared to my OEM CV. It still bogs at WOT and there are times when the idle hangs. I adjust the idle at say 1K rpm and one minute it's fine and the next it's spinning along at 2K rpm.

In any event, do any of you have a 42mm Mikuni pumper and what would you recommend for my 1.5-4K altitude? Will need main jet and I suppose the idle jet sizes.
__________________
Pics- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...eon/?start=all
Places visited on two- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...0two%20wheels/
Endeavor to Persevere
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:19 AM   #50646
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Recently installed a used Mikuni 42. It was supposedly jetted for around 3K feet at that "shoulda" been close enough for my normal 1.5K feet and I regularly ride at 3K+. But when installed it carburated like crap, way too rich. Would not accept WOT at all. I was working 70+hrs a week so I gave it to a local mechanic that I trust to rejet. He stated the jets that came in it were different that what he thought were OEM Mikuni, he thought they might have been Dyno-jet jets because he had to make a huge jump in jet size. I forgot the jets he installed but it is way better now but still it honestly sucks compared to my OEM CV. It still bogs at WOT and there are times when the idle hangs. I adjust the idle at say 1K rpm and one minute it's fine and the next it's spinning along at 2K rpm.

In any event, do any of you have a 42mm Mikuni pumper and what would you recommend for my 1.5-4K altitude? Will need main jet and I suppose the idle jet sizes.

Look here: http://www.sudco.com/mikuni.html
They are the Mukuni distb. here.
I think you should start with the stock jetting for that carb.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 AM   #50647
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer
 
sc-razor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,746
I have said this before, and I enjoy reading about all of the experimentation everyone does, but my stock carb with Daves mods works absolutely perfect on my bike. 1300-12000 ft. Bike gets a little weak over 11,000 but It's amazingly smooth. Unless I was going to go full boar CW motor, I can see no reason to mess with it. Of course that's just my personal experience..
__________________
2009 XR650L

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:20 AM   #50648
Jud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jud's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: N.E. Ga. USA
Oddometer: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I have said this before, and I enjoy reading about all of the experimentation everyone does, but my stock carb with Daves mods works absolutely perfect on my bike. 1300-12000 ft. Bike gets a little weak over 11,000 but It's amazingly smooth. Unless I was going to go full boar CW motor, I can see no reason to mess with it. Of course that's just my personal experience..

I bought the carb anticipating a future big bore, cam and head work.

Saying that,,,,,, if this doesn't get better quick, I'll be poking the stocker back on.
__________________
Pics- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...eon/?start=all
Places visited on two- http://s563.photobucket.com/albums/s...0two%20wheels/
Endeavor to Persevere
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #50649
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I have said this before, and I enjoy reading about all of the experimentation everyone does, but my stock carb with Daves mods works absolutely perfect on my bike. 1300-12000 ft. Bike gets a little weak over 11,000 but It's amazingly smooth. Unless I was going to go full boar CW motor, I can see no reason to mess with it. Of course that's just my personal experience..

+100
But, I ran the Daves Mod thing for many miles. Mileage was poor and performance was so-so.I changed back to stock jetting and mileage improved and performance is MUCH better. On a trip to the high passes of Colorado I needed to reduce jet size for best performance.
Of course that's just my personal experience.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:30 AM   #50650
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer
 
sc-razor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
+100
But, I ran the Daves Mod thing for many miles. Mileage was poor and performance was so-so.I changed back to stock jetting and mileage improved and performance is MUCH better. On a trip to the high passes of Colorado I needed to reduce jet size for best performance.
Of course that's just my personal experience.
I might try the jetting trick. My mileage isn't that great. 40 ish. Performance is just ok. But it is soooooo much better than it was stock.
__________________
2009 XR650L

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #50651
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer
 
sc-razor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: NW Arkansas
Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I bought the carb anticipating a future big bore, cam and head work.

Saying that,,,,,, if this doesn't get better quick, I'll be poking the stocker back on.
I would love a bigger badder motor for sure!
__________________
2009 XR650L

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #50652
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8
 
fritzcoinc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Cypress, Tx
Oddometer: 6,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I might try the jetting trick. My mileage isn't that great. Performance is just ok.
You just won't know if a set up is optimal unless you try something else and compare.
__________________
Regards
Fritzcoinc
96 XR650L, 96 Guzzi Sport, 07 BMW K1200GT,
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #50653
taco250
wannabe adventurer
 
taco250's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: LaGrange, GA
Oddometer: 1,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I would love a bigger badder motor for sure!
Me too but I don't have enough disposable income to justify it. I also don't ride enough either. If my motor does take a crap, its going in a cooler to San Fran so Steve can put a big jug in it. I don't desire a CW motor nor do I need it. I'm also not interested in doing the work myself. I'd rather have it done by someone who can do it right the first time because it costs less in the end.
__________________
Prov 3:5 & 6

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #50654
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I don't get it.....

Does this look better than stock? Better than the standard mods? (Clarke tank etc)

Who looks at the bike? Only when I'm working on mine do I look at it... and others only get to look at it when helping me get it back upright or when stopping for a break, but we're usually checking out the view, and the mechanical condition, not the artistic lines of the bikes...

Aesthetics are about the last of the priorities I'm concerned about for my dirt bike.
Moto Plastic surgury. Some turns out well and some doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideAbout View Post
Love mine.... Mine are over Cycra's and the other bike has Acerbis Hand-guards. They work well with both... with slight modifications.
I was thinking of buying the Tusk brand, hand warmers when I got the heated grips until I saw the disclaimer that said they may not fit over "some" brands of bark busters.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM   #50655
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I might try the jetting trick. My mileage isn't that great. 40 ish. Performance is just ok. But it is soooooo much better than it was stock.
Sounds like your jetting is fat. I ran rich for the longest time (on my stock carb and the FCR) and was satisfied with the "soft" power delivery. I decided to get it right this past fall and the power delivery is much crisper. My mpg jumped from around 42 to 50! I can, of course, get the mpg to be MUCH worse if I ride like a teenager and give the AP a workout at every stoplight.
More motor... I am at a point now where I dont think I want much more motor in mine. I do want to get a flywheel lightened and give that a try (project for this winter), but more motor in the woods may just help me wad up the bike and put myself in the hospital.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014