Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 09:17 AM   #50656
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
those are not from an 04 - 05 crf450r like i said.

there is a thread of this bikes complete build somewhere on another foreign riding forum somewhere but i was unable to locate it. i will say though that the gas tank on this XR is from aloop and the radiator plastics are from a 2005 CRF450R from what i recall from the build thread.

imo its the best looking XR ive ever seen. and also, if i had to compare 2 bikes, one being extremely beat up, scratched, dirty, and cosmetically in nasty shape, and the other bike being a beautiful, well presented and nice looking bike, i would say hands down that the presentable bike would last wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy longer then the shitty looking one. in 99% of every case, i would be right. regardless what anybody says, a bike owner that does not care about the presentable appearance of his bike obviously also does not care about the mechanical condition of his bike. they go in hand. ex, if this owner is too lazy to replace broken plastic after a hard ride, or wash his bike and keep it clean and looking nice etc is in my eyes too lazy to do other things to his bike like change the oil reg, or replace chain and sprockets and do required maintenance.
The bike in the video has different plastic on the rear end. I saw a thread where someone grafted the rear subframe off of an MX bike onto their XR. I suspect the bike in the video has a CR rear subframe on it.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #50657
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
You just won't know if a set up is optimal unless you try something else and compare.
^^^^ wiser words have never been spoken^^^^^
Old 12-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #50658
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
I put a similar windscreen on mine (not tinted though) and loved it in terms of riding and asthetics, however I would smack my head/helmet on it occasionally when trying to seriously womp, then one good wipe-out and that was all she wrote.

RZ Rob
I've had a Cee Bailey...
Wasn't high enough for my liking
An Aeroflow
That one was nice and tall! It was used and I didn't clean up the edges of the holes where the braces mounted so it eventually started cracking.
and now one like you all have. IMO It sits too low if it is mounted the way it's supposed to be. Lets too much air hit you right in the helmet.
I have it mounted high up on the headlight bezel to keep the wind off my helmet. It's much nicer mounted higher up but looks kinda funky. I don't care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Thanks again Spud. She bought them a few weeks ago and just gave them to me for Christmas, so I hope they will understand that they were a gift and I didn't get to try them out when she bought them. I'll give them a call.
I just went to their website but could not find the disclaimer. Maybe it was one of the reviews I saw that on. They should have no issues with a return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Anything worth doing should require some love with a dremel.
I don't even have a dremel...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #50659
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
The bike in the video has different plastic on the rear end. I saw a thread where someone grafted the rear subframe off of an MX bike onto their XR. I suspect the bike in the video has a CR rear subframe on it.
yeah, its an NX650 frame with a CRF250R subframe.
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:54 AM   #50660
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I have said this before, and I enjoy reading about all of the experimentation everyone does, but my stock carb with Daves mods works absolutely perfect on my bike. 1300-12000 ft. Bike gets a little weak over 11,000 but It's amazingly smooth. Unless I was going to go full boar CW motor, I can see no reason to mess with it. Of course that's just my personal experience..

I agree completely. The stock carb works very, very well and you cannot beat the linear torque curve a CV provides. Period. If I could find a bigger CV carb with a pump to go with my CW motor I would. As a matter of fact I was running a the stock carb with my CW750 motor with a milder cam and less head work and the throttle response was insane. Two stroke fast. It really liked the increased vacuum.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #50661
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Sounds like your jetting is fat. I ran rich for the longest time (on my stock carb and the FCR) and was satisfied with the "soft" power delivery. I decided to get it right this past fall and the power delivery is much crisper. My mpg jumped from around 42 to 50! I can, of course, get the mpg to be MUCH worse if I ride like a teenager and give the AP a workout at every stoplight.
More motor... I am at a point now where I dont think I want much more motor in mine. I do want to get a flywheel lightened and give that a try (project for this winter), but more motor in the woods may just help me wad up the bike and put myself in the hospital.
What jetting did you change to?

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #50662
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I agree completely. The stock carb works very, very well and you cannot beat the linear torque curve a CV provides. Period. If I could find a bigger CV carb with a pump to go with my CW motor I would. As a matter of fact I was running a the stock carb with my CW750 motor with a milder cam and less head work and the throttle response was insane. Two stroke fast. It really liked the increased vacuum.
Yep, it was you and I that talked about that in the past.

Steve
Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #50663
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

More grip heater wiring ideas...

Scroll down, there are two good ideas on how to wire them up without using the resistor...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850635

Old 12-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #50664
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Scroll down, there are two good ideas on how to wire them up without using the resistor...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850635
I am using a turn signal flasher on mine. Works great. I also wired a relay into the on/off circuit so they will not drain the battery if I forget and leave the switch on.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #50665
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
What jetting did you change to?
41mm FCR: NCVT needle. 158 MJ, 42 PJ
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #50666
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
I don't even have a dremel...
WHAT?!
I have burned up about three of them. I can't imagine not having one.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #50667
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
WHAT?!
I have burned up about three of them. I can't imagine not having one.
Yeah, no Dremel is pretty much sacreligous!

Steve
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #50668
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I am using a turn signal flasher on mine. Works great. I also wired a relay into the on/off circuit so they will not drain the battery if I forget and leave the switch on.
Yes, I stole your idea! Thanks again.
The dimmer would be a nice touch..probably too nice for and XR though.

Quote:
Yeah, no Dremel is pretty much sacreligous!

I've been meaning to get one. I just like to do things the hard way.

Old 12-28-2012, 11:23 AM   #50669
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, I stole your idea! Thanks again.
The dimmer would be a nice touch..probably too nice for and XR though.

I've been meaning to get one. I just like to do things the hard way.
When I burned up my last one, I tried to get by with files, the drill and lots of cussing... It took about a month to get fed up enough to go buy a new one. Beer and a Dremel tool is the recipe for some great fun! Sometimes I even end up with no bloodied, bandaged body parts
Old 12-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #50670
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,642
Quote:
I installed my Tusk Grip Heater Kit with the supplied resistor, and the grips work great. However, I'm going to ditch the resistor, and install either a turn signal relay or the LED light dimmer.

Have you measured the power output when you switch your heated grips through the turn signal relay? If not, how much power do you estimate the grips are getting, relative to full power, when you switch them to the signal relay circuit? Did you install a thermal, or an electronic signal relay? I wonder how long a thermal signal relay will last when installed with the grip heaters?

I like the idea of the LED dimmer switch, but the dimensions are pretty big; it measures about 4" x 2" x 2-3/8".

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote