Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 AM   #50731
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post

But you'll have to get past these guys first.

F250, Suburban (don't remember exactly), three beautiful bulldogs, motorbikes, all in the city of SF. Steve, you are the man. Very impressed.

PD
Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 AM   #50732
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Pictures are always easier...
You guys and your diagrams are killing me.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, how about some more video from Big Red Productions? Here is some competition for you:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501881

PD
Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #50733
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
F250, Suburban (don't remember exactly), three beautiful bulldogs, motorbikes, all in the city of SF. Steve, you are the man. Very impressed.

PD

2 F350's, F100, Excursion. No Chevy's. And the bed warmers.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #50734
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
Have run many back tires, all sizes & keep coming back to the 130/18 606. Works well everywhere, floats well in sand & when worn down is still desent all around. The 120 for me wants to dig a trench in soft sand. Run about 14,15 lbs on or off road.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #50735
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memnok View Post
I grew up with Boxers, they are just big softies. All they want to do is be your friend. I keep telling my wife our next dog will be a boxer, but she wanted a Lab. Labs are just too emotionally needy for me.
Clearly you have not witnessed a boxer that has decided someone or something was a threat.

Boxers are what you explain 99.99% of the time and once you have one as a house member its hard to consider any other pup. I have rescue fostered 13 in the last year and a half.

CRF450 front end bits should be here next week to boggle my mind into putting the bike back on the road.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #50736
XR650L
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
Might I inquire what some of you are running for a rear tire ? I tried to order a D606 140 from cycle gear and they replied it was no longer available . So, do I run the D606 130, or is there another 140 that I should look into? On another note note, just installed the Easton EXP freestyle bars, not sure yet how I like them, really like the height when on the bike, very tall when trying to get on the bike. They do not have much pull back, which makes standing up nice, but may be a little much while sitting. Anyway, let you know, as I get some more miles on it.
Pirelli MT21, 140, worked great for me, I got about 4500km out of it. Putting a D606 130 on now just because I have it, but next one Pirelli 140 again
Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #50737
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
You guys and your diagrams are killing me.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, how about some more video from Big Red Productions? Here is some competition for you:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=501881

PD
Wow... that video puts my hack jobs to shame. ThumpnRed Productions is on hiatus for a bit... any videos I put up now would involve shoveling snow or something equally boring.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #50738
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Had a productive day today!

My buddy came over with his XRL on a trailer. We checked his valves, and all seemed good. Then we tore into mine.

One exhaust valve and one intake valve seemed okay, the other two were not great. Adjusted my valves (starts SO much easier now), put in my Tusk clutch kit, slapped on my fork skins (after modification), and adjusted my suspension.

My race sag when I started was a little under 3". Got it dialed in to 4" race sag, and ended up with about 1-1/4" free sag. So the spring rate is pretty close to what it should be from what I understand.

Now I need to decide what I want to buy next. Tires? Skid plate? Or a RSW fork brace... My Avon's have a good amount of tread left which should get me through the winter and spring, so tires can wait. I'll be getting something knobbier for the summer. I'm thinking that a skid plate will be the next mod. More protection first, then the fork brace later on. I'm not riding trails much until the weather improves...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #50739
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Clearly you have not witnessed a boxer that has decided someone or something was a threat.

Boxers are what you explain 99.99% of the time and once you have one as a house member its hard to consider any other pup. I have rescue fostered 13 in the last year and a half.

CRF450 front end bits should be here next week to boggle my mind into putting the bike back on the road.
They are great dogs, but have the cancer gene in the worst way. I worked with dogs for years and have seen more old boxers with tumors of one type or another. You have to be vigilant about checking them for lumps and bumps.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #50740
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
...at least i should be able to ride dual sports and other motorcycles again
Sucks that you got hurt, but it's fantastic you'll be back in the saddle again!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:17 PM   #50741
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
I have said this before, and I enjoy reading about all of the experimentation everyone does, but my stock carb with Daves mods works absolutely perfect on my bike. 1300-12000 ft. Bike gets a little weak over 11,000 but It's amazingly smooth. Unless I was going to go full boar CW motor, I can see no reason to mess with it. Of course that's just my personal experience..
Ditto!
It's hassle enough to fix it when it's broke! But when it's working just fine?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #50742
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
...Beer and a Dremel tool is the recipe for some great fun! ...

A Dremel came in handy to smooth out and to open up the ports a little bit on my XRL head when I had it apart...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #50743
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
... I was looking at the dremel 4000 about a month ago...
Hey amigo, I just buy the simplest cheapest ones, where you could buy at least a couple for the price of a fancy one. As handy as they can be, they aren't the most robust tools in the chest. Only if I needed a very small hand piece would I find it worth getting the one with the motor at the opposite end of a long flexible drive shaft. Dremels are easily burned out by letting them get too hot inside. Roto-zip makes a tool that's like a big industrial strength dremel; they take a lot more oomph. Those air motors are pretty cool, too - I don't believe those can be overheated...
Old 12-29-2012, 07:40 PM   #50744
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Steve has mentioned this before, but if you riding the L off-road and want the best for that, but still want security and a smooth ride on the street you can't beat a 606 rear and a M21 front.

While we're talking rotary tools (I've have two variable speed Dremels I've had for twenty years BTW), when I had Jewery my senior year of high school (right after advanced auto), we used these:

http://www.foredom.net/

They kicked ass!

Someday, I may kick down for one. I bet professional port-ers use them.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 PM   #50745
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
...you'll have to get past these guys first.

Right on, Steve! Ours: