Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #50761
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Your boy in the middle seems bored with the whole picture taking bit. Good looking crew you have there.
Hehe They are a rambunctious bunch! Needless to say, it's a bit of a challenge to get all four to sit quietly and smile for the camera. That was the "best" of something like a dozen my daughter took as she coaxed them to cooperate. At least she's got the knack for working with them.

Mine lean more to....

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:08 AM   #50762
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOFNAR View Post

I've got a trip planned to Death Valley sometime in late Feb or early March and I've got a few questions about my XRL.

- Do I need to install an oil cooler? Again, I'm going to keep the speeds below 60 mph and the air temperature should be pretty cool that time of the year.

- Recently, I've started to experience difficulty coming out of 1st gear if I'm stopped i.e., trying to shift into Neutral from 1st gear while stopped. Seems to shift fine once I'm moving and shift from 1st to 2nd although I have to rev pretty high to get a smooth shift.

Thanks for any advice you guys may have.

No need for a oil cooler.

You need to replace your clutch assembly.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #50763
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.brat View Post
Hey guys. Long time! ...started making a scraping noise when being started. ...
Hey Mike, mine's back together and running like a champ, workin' those forest "roads"!
Well, in better weather, anyway...

So I can't get that video to play on this computer here right now... but if Steve says the starter... when mine went bonkers (with noise) I simply took it all apart, cleaned up the dried black stuff, and put new high-grade grease in there. Been cranking smoothly and quietly ever since. Just take note of your brushes and commutator when you're in there. (and don't let the grease get on any of those... you know the drill)

As you can see, we've had a couple of new additions to the "family" since you've been here!
Woof woof
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #50764
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:

Or make sure your cable/lever has some free play
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:14 AM   #50765
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Quote:

You are suggesting the basket assembly correct?

ie:
http://www.ktm495.mxbikes.com/clutch/
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #50766
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
You are suggesting the basket assembly correct?

ie:
http://www.ktm495.mxbikes.com/clutch/

Replace the clutch plates and steel's

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/.../xr650l+clutch

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project

mcma111 screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 09:33 AM
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #50767
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome. In my experience, the D952 rides better on pavement than the D606, and also performs better off road. I also get longer wear from the D952 rear tire. However, the D952 is not DOT approved.

Based upon your intended riding, you might consider the Kenda K270 and Shinko 244, rear tires, as long as you don't ride in any mud.

Spud
I ground up my 952 very quickly this year. It is a great tire... hooks up well, but I did not get the wear out of it that I did from the 606. At about 1000 miles the knobs were rounded and the tire had worn down past the split in the middle of each knob. I got closer to 2000 miles out of my 606 before I junked it. The 606 was shot when I canned it though. Surprisingly though the 952 did quite well on the last trail ride of the fall. I could probably get another couple hundred miles out of it, but will likely chuck it in the spring (no use doing the best riding of the year on a half worn out tire).
I am still undecided what I will put on the back come springtime.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:30 AM   #50768
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I ground up my 952 very quickly ... about 1000 miles the knobs were rounded and the tire had worn down past the split in the middle of each knob. I got closer to 2000 miles out of my 606 ...
I don't know what's considered 'normal', but I'm typically getting 1500 miles on a rear, and that's to where the knobs in the center are even with the tire casing. On the rocky terrain here, and the penchant for wanting to get through it, it doesn't seem to be more or less with different brands - and they all look quite used after the first ride (about 100mi). If I rode on asphalt and the occasional fire road, I expect I'd get much further on one. I still have a D606 that ShooterDave changed out here, which he assured me had just shy of 10,000 miles on it! Almost exclusively smooth asphalt, the knobs are worn off but still with perfectly square profiles!

I don't expect to get any better wear from the Scorpion Pro, but I love how it slides predictably and gives consistent traction. I have a friend who discovered trials-type rears and is thrilled with them... I'm hoping to give that a shot and see if I can be as enthusiastic.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #50769
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I don't know what's considered 'normal', but I'm typically getting 1500 miles on a rear, and that's to where the knobs in the center are even with the tire casing. On the rocky terrain here, and the penchant for wanting to get through it, it doesn't seem to be more or less with different brands - and they all look quite used after the first ride (about 100mi). If I rode on asphalt and the occasional fire road, I expect I'd get much further on one. I still have a D606 that ShooterDave changed out here, which he assured me had just shy of 10,000 miles on it! Almost exclusively smooth asphalt, the knobs are worn off but still with perfectly square profiles!

I don't expect to get any better wear from the Scorpion Pro, but I love how it slides predictably and gives consistent traction. I have a friend who discovered trials-type rears and is thrilled with them... I'm hoping to give that a shot and see if I can be as enthusiastic.
I have thought about trials tires as well. Never pulled the trigger though... They suck in the mud and are less than stellar on nasty downhills. Two places where I like my tires to work well.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 AM   #50770
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,677
You get whay you pay for in tires. Bike or car/truck.
It's the decision of the purchaser weather to buy inexpensive tires and change ofter or pay more and ride on.

I am about to pull my Metzler Unicross 90/90-21 front and Karoo 140/80-18 rear, 4280 miles so far, from my XRL. That would be the most I have ever goten from a front and that includes a IRC GP 110. I hope to get a little more next week riding them as far as I dare back and forth to work. Best of all though, the Unicross front did not produce any head shake like other knobbie tires I have tried all the way up to my bikes top speed of 95 MPH. The handling of the Metzlers on dirt and pavement has been stellar. Very noisy though. I ride agressively and brake hard.

Going on will be the Metzler Desert 90/90-21 front and Desert Race 140/80-18 rear. Since my middle name is " Diamond Jim" I consider these a reasonably priced tire set. Thats not to say they are cheap. I would rather ride on then change tires often.

For my riding style, the longest life rear I have experienced is the Dunlop 908 RR at 7200 miles. This tire is now $200. The 908 front was rubbish and bought the farm at 2200 or so miles.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #50771
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Now I need to decide what I want to buy next. Tires? Skid plate? Or a RSW fork brace... My Avon's have a good amount of tread left which should get me through the winter and spring, so tires can wait. I'll be getting something knobbier for the summer. I'm thinking that a skid plate will be the next mod. More protection first, then the fork brace later on. I'm not riding trails much until the weather improves...
Since your tires are good and you're not going to do much in the way of trails till spring, I'd go for the fork brace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
While we're talking rotary tools (I've have two variable speed Dremels I've had for twenty years BTW),
They just don't make em like they used to.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #50772
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Hey amigo, I just buy the simplest cheapest ones, where you could buy at least a couple for the price of a fancy one.
I have some grout work in my future and the tool that comes with the 4000 looks like the ticket..but I can buy it separately.

Quote:
I have installed a Shinko 244 on the rear wheel of my XR650L, and the front wheel of my 200cc trail bike. The Shinko 244 will perform well on pavement and dry surfaces off road. However, the Shinko 244 is useless in mud.
I don't do any hard core trails, just gravel, dirt and forest service roads and am happy with the Michelin T63 front tire. I also get 8,000 miles out of one! I also flip it to even out the wear when I switch out rear at around 4,000 miles. It's doesn't do mud very well, but neither do I! I hate mud!
The rear T63 is a good tire and is comparable to the D-606. It's 3/4 the price of a D-606 and gives 3/4 the miles of a D-606. I don't mind changing tires but for the same price point I'll stick with the D-606 rear.

Another option that has given me about 7,500-8,000 miles are the Metzeler Enduro III's. Great all terrain tire(though not in mud) and priced(now) a little less than double the D-606 prices.

Quote:
I found a small, pulse wave modulation (PWM), LED dimmer on eBay for $3.48 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140813968248...84.m1497.l2649
Oh man, I'm glad I didn't drill holes in the headlight shroud. I'll be ordering one of these! I like the idea of multiple heat settings verses two.

bwalsh screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 11:59 AM
Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #50773
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
I ground up my 952 very quickly this year. It is a great tire... hooks up well, but I did not get the wear out of it that I did from the 606. At about 1000 miles the knobs were rounded and the tire had worn down past the split in the middle of each knob. I got closer to 2000 miles out of my 606 before I junked it. The 606 was shot when I canned it though. Surprisingly though the 952 did quite well on the last trail ride of the fall. I could probably get another couple hundred miles out of it, but will likely chuck it in the spring (no use doing the best riding of the year on a half worn out tire).
Thanks for reporting your experience, Red. The D606 is a great tire. As always, different riding styles, different inflation, and different terrain will yield different results for different tires and different riders. However, we certainly agree the D952 keeps hooking up until it is completely worn out, and the D952 costs less than the D606.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #50774
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Replace the clutch plates and steel's
and heavy duty springs too?

Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #50775
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Had a productive day today!

My buddy came over with his XRL on a trailer. We checked his valves, and all seemed good. Then we tore into mine.

One exhaust valve and one intake valve seemed okay, the other two were not great. Adjusted my valves (starts SO much easier now), put in my Tusk clutch kit, slapped on my fork skins (after modification), and adjusted my suspension.

My race sag when I started was a little under 3". Got it dialed in to 4" race sag, and ended up with about 1-1/4" free sag. So the spring rate is pretty close to what it should be from what I understand.

Now I need to decide what I want to buy next. Tires? Skid plate? Or a RSW fork brace... My Avon's have a good amount of tread left which should get me through the winter and spring, so tires can wait. I'll be getting something knobbier for the summer. I'm thinking that a skid plate will be the next mod. More protection first, then the fork brace later on. I'm not riding trails much until the weather improves...
Marko (therealbigman) still has some new xrl RSW fork braces way cheaper than straight from RSW....I was going to get one from him but I found one locally even cheaper yet (I love cheap).