Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #50986
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Does it have to be on the same piston, top end, OEM transmission and original frame? All mine are gone... I've only got about 20K, but the ODO shows a lot less because I had a Vapor for a while. I'm not even thinking about trying to go for a win, just wondered what some of you guys had to do to get the high numbers.

Walter, that is truly impressive!

-Barron
My bike's odometer is very close to 40,000 miles. However, I rebuilt the top end of the engine at 28,800 miles. The bike was smoking like a 2-stroke when started cold, so I figured I needed to replace the valve stem seals.

I took the top end of the engine apart, and brought both cylinder head and cylinder to my machinist. After inspecting the parts he recommended grinding the valve seats and re-boring the cylinder.

I installed an oversize, OEM piston and piston rings. I also installed new, valve stem seals and a new cam chain. In addition, I dis-assembled the oil pump and inspected it. I also installed a new O-ring for the oil pump, and a new oil seal in the clutch cover.

My engine immediately ran stronger after the rebuild, and has been running smoothly ever since.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #50987
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
just wondered what some of you guys had to do to get the high numbers.

-Barron

Well most you just have to ride. Oh and it helps to be dunb enough to keep fixing the pig when it breaks, instead of dumping it and getting something more reliable.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #50988
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Shit, now you tell my Spud, I've always turned left there.
When you reach the intersection of Wisdom, you must always choose the "right" path, grasshopper.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #50989
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Where did you get the paint from???

Autozone. It is Duplicolor engine enamel. Cast Coat Iron (DE1651). I used Duplicolor's engine primer and then top coated the color coat with clear.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #50990
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
...So, did you adjust the grip heater temp. or bang in some UPS info wilst slipping and sliding around the mountian?
Maybe an oil cooler would have helped!

Is that ICE on the rear tire?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Just add up the speedos readings.
We dont care if you are a lier, we may need you to get us some parts from over there sometime!!!!

Fritz, you're on fire!

P.S. I know you don't see much snow in Texas; both ice and snow are water in its solid state.

Spud
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #50991
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,468
Well, it looks like my rear tire is getting close to the wear bar. I wish I knew how many miles were actually on the tires, but they were on it when I bought it, and I've put about 1,200 miles on it since I got it in July.

I may be buying tires sooner than I thought. Anyone got any discounts for Motorcycle Superstore? haha
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #50992
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Well most you just have to ride. Oh and it helps to be dunb enough to keep fixing the pig when it breaks, instead of dumping it and getting something more reliable.

Walter

You guys are killing me! First, the one-two punch by Fritz, then the knockout punch by Walter!

Spud
Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #50993
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Well, it looks like my rear tire is getting close to the wear bar. I wish I knew how many miles were actually on the tires, but they were on it when I bought it, and I've put about 1,200 miles on it since I got it in July.

I may be buying tires sooner than I thought. Anyone got any discounts for Motorcycle Superstore? haha

I got a 10 off for ya BF , send me a pm for a request , I;ll shoot it 2 ya in the morn ing ,

I'm 1//2 way thre a 2nd botle of Vino , so just remind me .

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #50994
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Funny you should mention ditches!
In the first pic you can see my tracks on the right tire track. That's as far as I made it up that incline. Every time I tried to get going the rear would slide further into the ditch....
Yikes, Bob!
I also discovered these Ls are not good in snow. My friend LJ (not sure if you ever met him) and I went after the valley tag a couple or three years ago - the one Skippii put out on Tilghman. As soon as we hit the part with the snow (where they hadn't plowed), it was no-go! Even with decent knobbies, neither one of us could get our Ls to go. And it was essentially flat. Getting the damn things turned around without dropping them was a trip, too! I was glad to get back on tractive ground - nothing like how I used to ride my little trail bike in the snow frequently when I was a kid.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 PM   #50995
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Awsome Walter Looking forward to seeing you hit 100K
My goal when I bought the bike back in Jan 2006, was to hit 100K in six years time, seven at the most. Well seven years will be up in a little over a week, and I'm not there yet. Maybe I can get there before eight are gone.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #50996
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
I got a 10 off for ya BF , send me a pm for a request , I;ll shoot it 2 ya in the morn ing ,

You're not a cheap drunk are ya?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #50997
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post

Thank you!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #50998
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Yikes, Bob!
I also discovered these Ls are not good in snow. My friend LJ (not sure if you ever met him) and I went after the valley tag a couple or three years ago - the one Skippii put out on Tilghman. As soon as we hit the part with the snow (where they hadn't plowed), it was no-go! Even with decent knobbies, neither one of us could get our Ls to go. And it was essentially flat. Getting the damn things turned around without dropping them was a trip, too! I was glad to get back on tractive ground - nothing like how I used to ride my little trail bike in the snow frequently when I was a kid.

KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #50999
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
A few months ago six of us did 24 miles of snow. Some very deep. It was very difficult, but I'm getting better at it. I only went down four or five times
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #51000
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Silly Suzuki riders...

Quote: