Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #51286
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultz! View Post
If Barron cannot or wishes not to get a NX5th sales business going or if you want one now I used this guy recomended by another inmate here.

http://www.motobike.jp/

Was hassle free, just asked him if he could procoure part number 23491-MW-2-780 (NX5th)

He replied yes asked for payment to his PayPal account and my address.

So 9400 yen (approx $110.00) later and less then a week and i had a nx 5th gear and couldn't of been happier with the experience.
Good to know! Tagged.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:18 PM   #51287
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,396
XRL Puts Out

So I took my trusty old XR650L out yesterday to some back mountainbike roads. We're talking exceptionally technical riding with treacherous, rutted hill climbs, slippery mud and potential deadly consequences for failure. I can't believe how competent the XR really is. As long as you don't stop and keep it pointed in the right direction, it will climb anything - I proved it yesterday.

Yessirrie folks, the XR took me to the top. The guy with the hat was a hiker. The other guy was my neighbor friend. Hard to say who was crazier - him for wandering out that far on foot, or us for wandering these kind of trails on a bike.

The bar was high - and so were the stakes (brand new KTM500)

Just to give you an idea of the trails. The stuff dreams are made of

It really was America the Beautiful

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:32 PM   #51288
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
If you look at the chart you'll see the 5 speed NX650 euro gears are wider then many good 6 speeds are.... No compromise needed. ....
The best you can do with what I've seen so far is go from 2.66 -> 0.84 to 2.66 -> 0.80. That's a 5% difference in the top gear ratio. Going from 15/45 to 14/48 final is in excess of 14% difference (for all gears including top). So upping 5th to NX euro doesn't get even halfway back to stock, and I'm looking for higher than stock.

For me, I'd like the equivalent of at least a 14/48 change for first and would opt for a 14/50. That's over a 19% change. So now I need at least a 19% change in top to get back to stock ratio. And I'd like a little more on top, say 5%. So if first gear is 2.66 then 5th would be .84/1.24 or 0.68 (I said 0.69 before).

That sets the overall ratio of the transmission ratios from low to high at 2.66 / .68 or ~3.91. The next thing to be determined would be the intermediate gears. I'd want them feeling closer near low gear. If it's six total steps from low to high then that allows the steps to be closer than if there are five. If maximum acceleration were the primary goal then upon change at redline the next gear will pick up on the back side of the power curve near the peak torque. In my case, for this dual sport machine, I'd want more precise speed control in 1,2,3 and sacrifice best acceleration in 3-4 and 4-5 transition (and 5-6 if I could have it). Top gear would be for highway cruising, anyway.

From an engineering standpoint, every decision requires compromise. To illustrate, consider these three desirable characteristics: I want it good, fast, and cheap -- now, pick two.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #51289
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
If you look back at any of my ride reports my riding is 90% off road. Did Kane Creek in Moab with this gearing, a fairly tough trail.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #51290
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
So I took my trusty old XR650L out yesterday to some back mountainbike roads. We're talking exceptionally technical riding with treacherous, rutted hill climbs, slippery mud and potential deadly consequences for failure. I can't believe how competent the XR really is. As long as you don't stop and keep it pointed in the right direction, it will climb anything - I proved it yesterday.

Yessirrie folks, the XR took me to the top. The guy with the hat was a hiker. The other guy was my neighbor friend. Hard to say who was crazier - him for wandering out that far on foot, or us for wandering these kind of trails on a bike.

The bar was high - and so were the stakes (brand new KTM500)

Just to give you an idea of the trails. The stuff dreams are made of

RZ Rob
awesome pics Rob! super jealous. ain't got nuttin like that around here in the austin tejas area....
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:01 PM   #51291
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,839
Eh? Went to lowes and learned Spanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You can get the correct shims for the carburetor at Lowes. Buy a 12-pack of Arendelas #4S washers, part #491431.

Spud
I went in to Lowes this evening to pick up a pack of those washers. I got to the Hardware section and an employee asked if he could help.

Me: Yes, I'm looking for, I believe the name of the manufacturer is Arendelas, #4 washers.

Him:

Me: I have a part number. So I gave him the number.

Him: Hmmm, we don't have that number in our system.

Me:

Him: Lets see what we have.

So we go to the washers section and start looking.

Him: This guy here will know where they are, pointing to another employee walking our way.

About that time I found a pack of Arendelas #6 washers.

Me: Here they are.

Employee #2: what are you looking for.

So I told him.

Employee #2: Arendelas is spanish for washers.

Me: Doh!

Bottom line, they don't have #4 washers of any kind at the local Lowes.

But I may sign up for Spanish lessons there...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #51292
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
...most of my trail work is 1-2.
That's interesting, Red! I'm probably in first about 1% of the time.
The only time I use first is taking off, crossing water, climbing over logs and stuff. Most of my trail work is in second or third. I don't shift any more often than necessary and take advantage of the very wide range of speed each gear offers on this machine. In fact, if I'm taking off downhill, I often simply pop it up into second and go.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #51293
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I went in to Lowes this evening to pick up a pack of those washers. I got to the Hardware section and an employee asked if he could help.

i can mail you one. pm me if you want it.
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #51294
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:

Me: Yes, I'm looking for, I believe the name of the manufacturer is Arendelas, #4 washers.

Him:

Me: I have a part number. So I gave him the number.

Him: Hmmm, we don't have that number in our system.

Me:

Him: Lets see what we have.

So we go to the washers section and start looking.

Him: This guy here will know where they are, pointing to another employee walking our way.

About that time I found a pack of Arendelas #6 washers.

Me: Here they are.

Employee #2: what are you looking for.

So I told him.

Employee #2: Arendelas is spanish for washers.

Me: Doh!

But I may sign up for Spanish lessons there...

See if Home Depot has Hillman #4S washers, part #491431. Can't Lowes order the washers for you?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #51295
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
So I took my trusty old XR650L out yesterday to some back mountainbike roads. We're talking exceptionally technical riding with treacherous, rutted hill climbs, slippery mud and potential deadly consequences for failure. I can't believe how competent the XR really is. As long as you don't stop and keep it pointed in the right direction, it will climb anything - I proved it yesterday. ...Just to give you an idea of the trails. ...

Absolutely gorgeous, Rob! Where is this heavenly place... do you have GPS coordinates?

"As long as you don't stop and keep it pointed in the right direction..." That is so true!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #51296
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
That's interesting, Red! I'm probably in first about 1% of the time.
The only time I use first is taking off, crossing water, climbing over logs and stuff. Most of my trail work is in second or third. I don't shift any more often than necessary and take advantage of the very wide range of speed each gear offers on this machine. In fact, if I'm taking off downhill, I often simply pop it up into second and go.
You just confirmed gearing up will benifit you. Low gear more useable
AZ TOM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #51297
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...Employee #2: Arendelas is spanish for washers. ... I may sign up for Spanish lessons there...
That's a funny story, Bob! But I think I'd look elsewhere for those lessons porque washers en español quiere decir arandelas (no arendelas).
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM   #51298
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
You just confirmed gearing up will benifit you. Low gear more useable
So, you're suggesting that since I need the low first only a small percentage of time I should simply do without? That's one way to skew the compromise. It's just not how I prefer it. It seems you are oversimplifying the problem and ignoring the fact that "gearing down" also brings second and third into a more useful range for me. But that's okay, I've tried the various combinations and compared them; that gives me a bit of an advantage of knowing what works for me in actual experience.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM   #51299
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
At Lowes you can get the POP rivet washers for shimming the needle.

Quote:
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #51300
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
See if Home Depot has Hillman #4S washers, part #491431. Can't Lowes order the washers for you? Spud
Don't you have a decent hardware store in Front Royal? Edinburgh? Stevens City? Rocking R in h'burg would have them. I'm pretty sure I can find one at home. I can mail you one, also. LMK by PM