Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #51391
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc-razor View Post
Those pictures of you were at "the steps" right? That place sounds very intimidating to me. Not sure I want to attempt that one. This was a little deal from last year on Webster/Red Cone pass. I was a little puckered and never really right after this little episode!

My photos are the north side down from here. Telluride Col. is in the backround.

I guess they look sort of like steps.

Another high pass. Smaller jets sure helped this assent.

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #51392
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
My photos are the north side down from here. Telluride Col. is in the backround.
Yep, that's what I've always heard them called. Supposedly the only "hard" spot on Black Bear. Lots of internet hype about it. Do you remember what size jets you ran? Some other buddies that were up north with us rode Imogene after we headed back. I's really pretty down there.

Steve

sc-razor screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 12:24 PM
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #51393
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Want to report that I have successfully mounted up my 07 CRF450R forks with the All-Balls 99-3540-5 bearings as per their conversion chart. There was a bit of guessing with their spacers + this will be a welder removal for the outer races when the time comes.

Stock unmodified CRF450R triples & stem.

Still need to modify XRL steering stops.

nic579 screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 02:40 PM
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:21 PM   #51394
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Those pictures of you were at "the steps" right? That place sounds very intimidating to me. Not sure I want to attempt that one. This was a little deal from last year on Webster/Red Cone pass. I was a little puckered and never really right after this little episode!
Steve, you have some valuable buddies there! I saw how they ran back to help you up after passing the Jeep and the truck. Great ride, great memories, to be sure.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:24 PM   #51395
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Steve, you have some valuable buddies there! I saw how they ran back to help you up after passing the Jeep and the truck. Great ride, great memories, to be sure.
Yeah that's for sure!

Steve
Old 01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #51396
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Do us a big favor, slap on the Powerbomb and go for a ride and report back to us before you cut open the air box, I'm sure I'm not the only one who is curious to If just the pipe is going to make a difference,
I'll see what I can do, but I'm snowed/iced in right now, prolly won't be able to take the bike out for a ride for another couple of weeks....I might get antsy and just want to do it all at once

I did quite abit of reading on the net, and here, about folks opinions on the powerbombs performance gains, the majority said they noticed a worthwhile diff, especially in the low and midrange. A pipe isn't going to give the xrl KTM power, but you combine it with good jetting/Daves mods/drilled slide/desnorkeled/cut airbox/desmogged/filter/free-flowing muffler/slightly lower gearing etc, and the difference becomes big. Everything you do adds to the overall effect. I've done the same general mods to most every machine I've ever owned, and in the end the difference between the modded bike and stocker is huge.

It does take a little work and money to make the transformation, but the changes sneak up on you, once you ride a stock bike again it feels like a scooter compared to your modded machine. After I did those same type mods to my busa, then rode a stocker again, the stocker felt pig slow to me........and this was a hayabusa!!

It really is the combination of mods, not any one mod, that gives you the overall improvement you're looking for

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 02:09 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #51397
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
My hat is off to you sir!
It is a great thing you do leading a group of Girl Scouts on a trail ride ike that.

Serriously though, won't you spend almost as much changing gears in a XRL as you would buying a good used 250 or 350 Enduro bike?
I mean you are not just going to split the cases and replace the gears. You will end up spending $1000 or more on the engine rebuild!
For a few dollars more you can have a much more capable bike to handle this kind of off road.
Thats my typical type of riding, and oftentimes quite a bit worse I'm getting pretty good at trials riding the brp.....I actually like the challenge

But I am contemplating a smaller bike for the REAL gnarly stuff
Old 01-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #51398
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,760
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Thats my typical type of riding, and oftentimes quite a bit worse I'm getting pretty good at trials riding the brp.....I actually like the challenge

But I am contemplating a smaller bike for the REAL gnarly stuff
If Rekluse comes through with the auto clutch you won't need a smaller bike.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #51399
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,666
Quote:
Yep, that's what I've always heard them called. Supposedly the only "hard" spot on Black Bear. Lots of internet hype about it. Do you remember what size jets you ran? Some other buddies that were up north with us rode Imogene after we headed back. I's really pretty down there.
Agree, that is the only place you want to get off the bike and walk it through but up the south side there are several miles of single track where an error would result in a very long rock slide. After this bad spot it is pretty smooth sailing over baseball sized rocks down to Telluride.

To get ready for this trip I took the sage advice of a punk at the local Honda shop. I asked him how do you adjust jet size to compensate for altitude, he said " call a dealer in the area you are going to ride".
So I called eight different dealers in Col..
Thier advice was pretty uniform, reduce main jet size one size for every 1000 foot increase in elevation and decrease pilot jet size one size per 2500 foot elevation increase above 2500 from where you are. I ran 145 main and 48 pilot. I was planning on a 10K elevation change and sure enough at about 11,500 the engine suffered. Except for the passes most of the riding was at 5000 to 8000 feet. I pulled the plug when I got home and it looked rich.

Oh yeah, wet rocks are fun:

I liked this one best, Cork Screw Pass. This one will test your jet and gear selection!

Be ready for most anything!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #51400
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Be ready for most anything!
We've been really fortunate on weather but it was extremely dusty last year. I'm pretty sure we are doing Telluride this year.

Steve
Old 01-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #51401
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,527
Quote:
We've been really fortunate on weather but it was extremely dusty last year. I'm pretty sure we are doing Telluride this year.
N37 55.352 W107 45.555 is roughly where the steps start, if you rode BJEC you'll be fine, all the hype is from the jeep crowd.

katbeanz screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 04:37 PM
katbeanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #51402
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:

Out of curiosity, what did you shoot the video with?
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #51403
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
The forks should be more progressive with more oil, because when they compress, the compressed air adds to the spring force as it's compressed (and with more oil you have less room for that air, so the air pressure rises faster). The force from the air pressure increases in a non-linear manner as the forks compress, whereas the spring force increases in a linear manner as the forks compress unless you have a progressive spring. More progressive is not necessarily better though. Can you tell I have been a good boy reading the Race Tech Suspension Bible? I'm hoping to get my suspension totally dialed this year.
I am very proud of you flyingwombat. The RT Suspension Bible is the best $ you can spend on your bike Additionally, if you have more than one bike the price per bike goes down as this one hop-up fits them all. I've said several times before, but it's a must own. It is a beautiful quality book to boot. Ask flyingwombat.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #51404
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Want to report that I have successfully mounted up my 07 CRF450R forks with the All-Balls 99-3540-5 bearings as per their conversion chart. There was a bit of guessing with their spacers + this will be a welder removal for the outer races when the time comes.

Stock unmodified CRF450R triples & stem.

Still need to modify XRL steering stops.
Thanks for sharing. I did not know this was an option! Maybe the way to go for those now converting. You will love the USDs!
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #51405
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,598
Quote:
My hat is off to you sir!
It is a great thing you do leading a group of Girl Scouts on a trail ride ike that.

Serriously though, won't you spend almost as much changing gears in a XRL as you would buying a good used 250 or 350 Enduro bike?
I mean you are not just going to split the cases and replace the gears. You will end up spending $1000 or more on the engine rebuild!
For a few dollars more you can have a much more capable bike to handle this kind of off road.
Yes, I think once you go in for the gear change you're going to be rebuilding a top end too. I've pretty much decided to live with how it's setup, although these "roads" would have been nicer with 14/48 gearing. These were the worse spots pretty much, heck my buddy was on a KLR (he was ready to shoot me for getting him there though). the new gearing to me is more of a wish list to get me closer to what I feel would be a more versatile "dual sport". I would love to ride Black Bear and the other pass around Silverton, Teluride, and Ouray. They are on my bucket list.