Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:05 PM   #51466
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulyses View Post
...Am I jacked up?...
Here is a diagram of a chain drive and swing arm - with a line between the sprocket centerlines passing through the centerline of the swingarm pivot.

To realize this is the tightest the chain will ever get, over the suspension travel, imagine the rear moving up or down from this aligned position. Since the swingarm pivot is between the sprocets, you can see that the distance between the sprockets (labelled 24" in the above image) will decrease to less and thus the chain will become more slack.

Hence, if the chain slack is set to a minimum acceptable value, just loose enough to not be under tension, in this case about 1/2" of play in the center of span, at the longest distance between the two sprockets, as above, then the chain will be properly tensioned for full suspension travel. It should be not sloppy but not under any tension in this position of max tightness.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #51467
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph

Oddometer: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
I think the service manual measurement is for an unladen bike. Sounds like it would be too lose the way you are doing it. Could be the reason for your swing arm guide wear. OFFandON had the right idea, but I don't think it is as easy as he makes it sound Although it may be easier if you throw all your gear on the bike, then lean over the seat, grab the swing arm and compress the suspension until the swing arm is straight back from the CS sprocket. It should not be guitar string tight but shouldn't have any slack. Once you set it at that point you can check the slack measurement when you are off the bile and you will know where to set the slack when you are not compressing the suspension.
Another way is to pull the shock out of the bike. Send it out for new oil and a service, then move the swingarm through it's arc (with the tire and chain installed of course) and measure it as described above. After shock is reinstalled, put the bike on the stand and push the bottom of the chain up towards the bottom of the swingarm. Take a photo of the resulting distance and stick it in your owner's manual.
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #51468
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Another from the top. Got kinda freaky while we were up there.

John

Hey, for you guys riding in Colorado in the summer, it wouldn't hurt to read up on a bit of lightning safety. This paper on backcountry lightning risk management is excellent:
http://www.nols.edu/nolspro/pdf/Ligh...rintmaster.pdf

For example, did you know that 40-50% of lightning fatalities are due to ground current and only 3-5% a result of a direct strike?

When hiking July and August you generally want to be off the summits by noon. There's more leeway when riding because you can get down a lot faster or sometimes go around bad looking clouds, but you're still exposed like a hiker.

When you're above 11,000 feet and the lightning starts... hooooollllyyyyy shit!
Old 01-10-2013, 09:19 PM   #51469
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Jeff, You might think about redoing the seat on the XRL to something a bit more comfortable for the long haul.
When michael.brat came through, he had a pad on his seat that made him more comfortable. He also got me one kindly. Denis used something that involved jugs of water... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494589
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-10-2013, 09:27 PM   #51470
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
...OFFandON had the right idea, but I don't think it is as easy as he makes it sound ...
Sorry if I made it sound too easy, but most everything is easier to read about than do.

I get on the right side of the bike, pull it up off the stand and balance it, press my chest into the seat, with my left hand grab the swingarm near the bolt, pull up on the swingarm while putting my weight on the seat through my chest, and checking the tension/play with my right hand.

I can do it a little easier now than the first time I tried it...
Old 01-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #51471
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,466
[QUOTE=Lonestar2112;20442469]I just bought a copy. I cracked it open and I was reminded of being in college again. Darn there is a bunch of information in there.

True, except that you never studied anything that cool, except of course fermented beverages and female anatomy.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #51472
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Jeff,

You might think about redoing the seat on the XRL to something a bit more comfortable for the long haul.

+100 My buddy and I both have them on our Ls and after 10 hours in the saddle we are okay and the other guys are HURTING! As my wife says, "Renazco, where your ass go."
Old 01-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #51473
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,772
[QUOTE=mendoteach;20452144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I just bought a copy. I cracked it open and I was reminded of being in college again. Darn there is a bunch of information in there.

True, except that you never studied anything that cool, except of course fermented beverages and female anatomy.
True, but those two almost caused me to fail out!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #51474
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I just received an email indicating the Harbor Freight ATV/Motorcycle Lift is on sale this weekend for $69.99. The regular price is $119.99.

The Harbor Freight website lists the price as $89.99, but my coupon indicates the price is $69.99. This motorcycle lift is heavy; it almost weighs 70 pounds. However, if you have the shop space to store it, you might enjoy buying this motorcycle lift this weekend, and saving $50 off the regular price.

Spud
You're not making me spend anymore money Spud, because I already have one (BTW, my tire changing stand showed up yesterday). I bought a Craftsman like this a few years ago and it is identical the HF one. I like it a lot, though, as you say, it is a heavy mofo.
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #51475
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
You're not making me spend anymore money Spud, because I already have one (BTW, my tire changing stand showed up yesterday). I bought a Craftsman like this a few years ago and it is identical the HF one. I like it a lot, though, as you say, it is a heavy mofo.

I'm sure you will enjoy your tire changing stand, Teach. Here's another nice video on tire changing by Jay Clarke.

The tire changing stand allows you get up off your knees, and stand on your hind legs, like a man. That stand might be the best $85 you will ever spend.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 02:47 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 AM   #51476
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm at about 5000ft up in elevation, and ride up to 8000ft sometimes, and am running a 58 pilot (a little big for my elevation) and 155 main jet (keihins).

I'm probably late to the party, (been at work all day) but reading this I wanted to share that at 300ft stock pipe/UNI/snorkel removed I tried a 58 pilot and it was so rich that when I slowed down to make a turn to another street and pulled in the clutch, the bike would die, so am surprised yours can run so well at such a high elevation maybe your pipe is really making up the difference?
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:38 AM   #51477
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
We were with several locals and had been warned. One of the bikes was having issues and we got stuck for several hours up there. Never saw any lightning but I was very worried. The sky was black right over us and I was glad to get going for sure!

John
Old 01-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #51478
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Hey, for you guys riding in Colorado in the summer, it wouldn't hurt to read up on a bit of lightning safety. This paper on backcountry lightning risk management is excellent:
http://www.nols.edu/nolspro/pdf/Ligh...rintmaster.pdf

For example, did you know that 40-50% of lightning fatalities are due to ground current and only 3-5% a result of a direct strike?

When hiking July and August you generally want to be off the summits by noon. There's more leeway when riding because you can get down a lot faster or sometimes go around bad looking clouds, but you're still exposed like a hiker.

We were dodging that stuff the whole time we were in Colorado last time. Afternoon storms can really come up quick out there.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #51479
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,826
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
+100 My buddy and I both have them on our Ls and after 10 hours in the saddle we are okay and the other guys are HURTING! As my wife says, "Renazco, where your ass go."
I have the Seat Concepts foam and cover and couldn't be happier!

My ass thanks me too!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #51480
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I have the Seat Concepts foam and cover and couldn't be happier!

My ass thanks me too!
That looks pretty good and affordable.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote