Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #51481
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
+100 My buddy and I both have them on our Ls and after 10 hours in the saddle we are okay and the other guys are HURTING! As my wife says, "Renazco, where your ass go."

Yesterday I Google'd Honda XR650l seat and guess what showed up??

My Renazco Racing seat. Woo hoooo

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #51482
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Yesterday I Google'd Honda XR650l seat and guess what showed up??

My Renazco Racing seat. Woo hoooo

Not again!! I can't take anymore!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #51483
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post

LMAO...

I just sent this post to James Renazco.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #51484
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
i have the seat concepts foam and cover and couldn't be happier!
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
that looks pretty good and affordable.
+3
Old 01-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #51485
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
I've never got tired of the stock seat...

But then I don't ride it like a street bike all day, either.

Trail riding I'm off the seat often, picking my butt up for large bumps and jumps, pulling the front end up, etc. It's a lot of exercise and my legs are killing me so much I probably wouldn't notice if my butt bothered me anyway. So maybe the seat does suck but it's fine by me. I do know that the rear half of the seat is hard and uncomfortable for passengers. But I'll use the pad if I can ever convince my wife to hop on the back of that bike again...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #51486
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Take what? I don't understand...

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #51487
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Dont cut the airbox,the opening is large enough.The problem is airflow under the seat.The raised lip on top of the airbox where the snorkel was,cut it to about1/4 inch high and cut the rib infront of it on the bottom of the seat.Then see if rejetting is necessary.I left part of the lip on the airbox to deter water.
Thanks for the info Joe I'm going to pull the seat off today (hopefully) as well as start to install the pipe.....I'll check out the underseat clearance, and take your info into consideration while I'm forming a game plan. I also thought the stock hole looked pretty good sized, but I've read alot of posts on guys getting more hp when they opened up the airbox some more. I have to say tho that being buried under the seat like it is can't be the best way to get good air

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
I'm probably late to the party, (been at work all day) but reading this I wanted to share that at 300ft stock pipe/UNI/snorkel removed I tried a 58 pilot and it was so rich that when I slowed down to make a turn to another street and pulled in the clutch, the bike would die, so am surprised yours can run so well at such a high elevation maybe your pipe is really making up the difference?
The po jetted the carb, and he wrote down the jet sizes he put in.....otherwise I prolly wouldn't believe it myself

It runs great with the 58 in it, has awesome instant low end response, and tons of low end grunt, and starts and idles perfectly. Thats where I do most of my riding, and the plug doesn't even look that bad considering......its a little dark, but nothing really even worth worrying over. All it has now is Daves mods, desmogged, desnorkeled, uni filter, and Big Gun silencer with stock header. I'm going to be sticking the powerbomb on later today hopefully

Its strange how different bikes can use such different jetting with similiar set-ups sometimes......I'd like to know how my bike can get away with it at 5000ft and another one can't at sea level?

Bikes are like women.......full of suprises
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #51488
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I've never got tired of the stock seat...

But then I don't ride it like a street bike all day, either.
George, we can only dream of being as good as you.

They call them "dual" sports for a reason...

bwalsh screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 01:29 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #51489
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbl View Post
Take what? I don't understand...
Yeah!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #51490
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Hey, for you guys riding in Colorado in the summer, it wouldn't hurt to read up on a bit of lightning safety. This paper on backcountry lightning risk management is excellent:
http://www.nols.edu/nolspro/pdf/Ligh...rintmaster.pdf
Interesting read, thanks for putting that up, I learned a few things. such as I have put myself in life threatening situations more then once.
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:25 PM   #51491
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
Hey, for you guys riding in Colorado in the summer, it wouldn't hurt to read up on a bit of lightning safety.
Good info and Thanks!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #51492
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
George, we can only dream of being as good as you.

They call them "dual" sports for a reason...
Now thats downright
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #51493
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,468
Still trying to get my air/fuel/jetting figured out. Dave's Mod, de-smogged, de-snorkeled, K&N (which will hopefully be gone soon), and XR600 muffler.Current jets are 55/158. The exhaust smells TERRIBLY rich, and my plug is dark. I started at 2.5 turns out when I put the jets in and went down as far as 2 turns out and the plug was still dark.

Today I tried what Spud suggested for setting the mixture screw. Engine at operating temp, turned the screw in slowly until the idle dropped, then back out until the idle smoothed out. Doing that the idle didn't drop until about 1/2 a turn out and smoothed back out at 1 turn out.

As much I don't want to take the carb back apart, I'm thinking I need to go back down to a 52 pilot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
I'm probably late to the party, (been at work all day) but reading this I wanted to share that at 300ft stock pipe/UNI/snorkel removed I tried a 58 pilot and it was so rich that when I slowed down to make a turn to another street and pulled in the clutch, the bike would die, so am surprised yours can run so well at such a high elevation maybe your pipe is really making up the difference?
I'm at about 300ft, but surrounded by mountains, and I've got a 55 pilot and it seems to be very rich. Dave's Mod, de-smogged, de-snorkeled, K&N (which will hopefully be gone soon), and XR600 muffler.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #51494
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Still trying to get my air/fuel/jetting figured out. Dave's Mod, de-smogged, de-snorkeled, K&N (which will hopefully be gone soon), and XR600 muffler.Current jets are 55/158. The exhaust smells TERRIBLY rich, and my plug is dark. I started at 2.5 turns out when I put the jets in and went down as far as 2 turns out and the plug was still dark.

Today I tried what Spud suggested for setting the mixture screw. Engine at operating temp, turned the screw in slowly until the idle dropped, then back out until the idle smoothed out. Doing that the idle didn't drop until about 1/2 a turn out and smoothed back out at 1 turn out.

As much I don't want to take the carb back apart, I'm thinking I need to go back down to a 52 pilot...
The pilot mixture screw (PMS) doesn't lie. However, you should wait until after you switch to the different air filter before you finalize your carburetor jets.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #51495
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
...he wrote down the jet sizes he put in.... ....Its strange how different bikes can use such different jetting with similiar set-ups sometimes......I'd like to know how my bike can get away with it at 5000ft and another one can't at sea level? Bikes are like women.......full of suprises
Not really. These guys are all very much alike. There's some explanation for it; it's really not black magic nor sloppy tolerances.

One thing to consider is the possibility that what you see written isn't what's in the carb.

Another thing is that there are at least two different manufacturers of jets for these that I know of, Keihn and Mikuni, plus perhaps some aftermarket manufacturers, and the jet # can mean different orifices for each. When I say a "55" from a stock "50", I'm referring to the Honda OEM; I think that's the Keihin on this bike. Check this out for an example of how they can differ.

If the float level is low, it can lean the mixture, if it's high, enrichen.

What if there's an air leak somewhere, like where the carb mounts or the vacuum line? That extra air could offset the extra gas of a rich jet.

Finally, if these bikes were as full of surprises as women, how could they be so popular???
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 01-11-2013 at 05:42 PM
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote