Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 05:03 PM   #51541
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
What's the best way to clean out a carb jet (pilot, not installed in the carb)???

I have a smaller pilot jet I'd like to try out, but the reason I removed it was because it was clogged (engine kept wanting to die at idle but fine at higher rpm). Can I spray it out with carb cleaner? Soak it in something?
If you don't have solvent use pine sol to soak it in,

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
Speaking of suspension linkages, I've noticed some Ls have zerk fitting and some don't. Was it a year thing? While I'm asking, since my RM250 doesn't have them does any one see any compelling reason that I couldn't drill put them on that bike? I've never seen a pure MX bike with them. Why?
yup, a year thing...was it 2005? last year? someone else can chime in on that,
others have drilled/tapped them on the XRL and put in zerks no Idea on the RM?, I plan on putting some on mine the next time I tear into it.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #51542
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Speaking of suspension linkages, I've noticed some Ls have zerk fitting and some don't. Was it a year thing? While I'm asking, since my RM250 doesn't have them does any one see any compelling reason that I couldn't drill put them on that bike? I've never seen a pure MX bike with them. Why?
At some point, Honda must have chosen that as a money-saving improvement.
I added fittings to my '04 at all link joints. It's quite time-consuming to disassemble those things and grease them.

Sorry, can't speak for RM250 Should be similar, though.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:15 PM   #51543
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockPointer View Post
It's going to look cool with that CB antenna on the back!
i didn't include the pink tennis ball that will go on the cb whip antenna
2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone but not forgotten)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #51544
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 313
dammit! forgot to soak new clutch plates in oil overnight
2011 Beta 450 RR - plated (gone. had my sexy italian fling)
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone but not forgotten)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #51545
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
dammit! forgot to soak new clutch plates in oil overnight
I soaked mine for a couple days before I installed it. I put in the Tusk clutch kit and EBC heavy springs a few weeks ago. Ended up going with 2 heavy springs and 2 stock springs and it feels good to me. So far it has performed well, but time will tell. My old clutch still had a little material on it, but the friction material was really glazed.
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #51546
junkyardroad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You can't get fuel in Atomic City for a few years now. I don't think they still have a post office, either. However, you can still obtain liquid refreshment.

Spud
Is this still there?

junkyardroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #51547
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,206
2003 last year for zerks I believe?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #51548
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 681
paging mendoteach

I tried an XR600R throttle with the Mikuni HSR45 carb. This is without the CycleWizard intake spacer that should be on its way to me soon. That CycleWizard is a great guy. So the carb will move back about a half inch once that is installed.

The only thing I don't like about this is that the carb end of the cables aren't screwed in and the return cable at the handlebar end had to be adjusted out 11mm, and it's not supposed to be adjusted there. Just a few more turns and it will fall out of the throttle.

You may notice how the pull fitting at the carb looks a little chewed up- I did that trying to make more room for the cable end, but it didn't help. Don't do that.

Anyway it's close. These are crusty old cables and it's snapping back closed like it should. Better than the L throttle and cables. I'm really happy about using the XR600 throttle, because it's much easier to reassemble and it has the nice pulley. Fitting all the controls on the bars may be harder because it takes up more space than the L throttle, but I can live with that.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:45 PM   #51549
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkyardroad View Post
Is this still there?

Of course, submarine parking is still available!

Number Hill is still there, also.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:33 PM   #51550
ShooterDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
I tried an XR600R throttle with the Mikuni HSR45 carb. This is without the CycleWizard intake spacer that should be on its way to me soon. That CycleWizard is a great guy. So the carb will move back about a half inch once that is installed.

The only thing I don't like about this is that the carb end of the cables aren't screwed in and the return cable at the handlebar end had to be adjusted out 11mm, and it's not supposed to be adjusted there. Just a few more turns and it will fall out of the throttle.

You may notice how the pull fitting at the carb looks a little chewed up- I did that trying to make more room for the cable end, but it didn't help. Don't do that.

Anyway it's close. These are crusty old cables and it's snapping back closed like it should. Better than the L throttle and cables. I'm really happy about using the XR600 throttle, because it's much easier to reassemble and it has the nice pulley. Fitting all the controls on the bars may be harder because it takes up more space than the L throttle, but I can live with that.

If you have trouble with the cables reaching try this before replacing them. In the weeks before I took off on my 8 month trip around the country I was disassembling and assembling my bike constantly. I got fed up with routing the cables so I just simply took them from the throttle body to the carb. It didn't go thru the triples or the headlight. In fact the only thing it went under was the tank. If you looked under the tank you could see their entire path, completely unimpeded. I had it this was from mile 1700 all the way up to mile 47,000 when I sold it with no problems. It also alowed for all the play needed for the turning of the handle bars. Just something you might try before you go spend money on new cables.

ShooterDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #51551
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Yesterday I Google'd Honda XR650l seat and guess what showed up??

My Renazco Racing seat. Woo hoooo

I think I would like to one of these seats. But I have a 31 inch inseem. I had to shave my stock seat so I could touch the floor with the ball of my feet. With my stock seat being shaved down I don't have to lower my suspension.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #51552
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Of course, submarine parking is still available!

666? Was that the USS Diablo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I think I would like to one of these seats. But I have a 31 inch inseem. I had to shave my stock seat so I could touch the floor with the ball of my feet. With my stock seat being shaved down I don't have to lower my suspension.
Damn, one thing I forgot to mention about the Seat Concepts seat. My seat is now at 38". I get nose bleeds going over speed bumps.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #51553
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
What's the best way to clean out a carb jet (pilot, not installed in the carb)???

I have a smaller pilot jet I'd like to try out, but the reason I removed it was because it was clogged (engine kept wanting to die at idle but fine at higher rpm). Can I spray it out with carb cleaner? Soak it in something?
Might try a plastic bristle off a brush cuz that won't sratch the brass. Copper, steel or some other metal may scratch the inside and make the flow different than intended.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #51554
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,057
Quote:
Honda quit installing the zert fittings along with the fork oil drain bolts on the XR600 in the mid 90's. This was a labor/ cost savings issue. I got a set of '96 XR600 forks for Christian that didn't have the drain bolts. I just drilled and tapped the holes and installed the bolts.

I forget which year Honda quit doing the zert fittings for the XRL linkage. My '02 has them. The early XRL forks has the drain bolts.

On your RM250 since it's a RACE bike they don't come with them. If you drilled and tapped the linkage for them the problem is that there is no where for the grease to go. On the Honda XR/XRL the collar inside has a groove machined to accept the grease.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #51555
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterDave View Post
If you have trouble with the cables reaching try this before replacing them. In the weeks before I took off on my 8 month trip around the country I was disassembling and assembling my bike constantly. I got fed up with routing the cables so I just simply took them from the throttle body to the carb. It didn't go thru the triples or the headlight. In fact the only thing it went under was the tank. If you looked under the tank you could see their entire path, completely unimpeded. I had it this was from mile 1700 all the way up to mile 47,000 when I sold it with no problems. It also alowed for all the play needed for the turning of the handle bars. Just something you might try before you go spend money on new cables.
Actually I think the cable length overall is good, but yeah I've seen that done and can't see any problem with doing it as long as they don't snag.