Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #51556
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
666? Was that the USS Diablo?...
Indeed! If I lived in that town, I would demand at least one, or all of those numbers were changed to an eight.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:51 PM   #51557
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
What's the best way to clean out a carb jet (pilot, not installed in the carb)???

I have a smaller pilot jet I'd like to try out, but the reason I removed it was because it was clogged (engine kept wanting to die at idle but fine at higher rpm). Can I spray it out with carb cleaner? Soak it in something?
Try an ultrasonic cleaner. They work amazingly well for getting junk out of the smallest orifices.
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #51558
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Might try a plastic bristle off a brush cuz that won't sratch the brass. Copper, steel or some other metal may scratch the inside and make the flow different than intended.
Good thinking! I hadn't even thought of that. I had the carb apart because my pilot (which was a 52) was clogged, and while it was apart I did Dave's mod and stuck the 55 pilot in. Now that I'm having a "rich at idle" issue I figured I would try the 52 again since I have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Try an ultrasonic cleaner. They work amazingly well for getting junk out of the smallest orifices.
Hmm... I'll have to find someone nearby who re-loads ammo. Or take it to Kay Jewelers! haha
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM   #51559
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Hmm... I'll have to find someone nearby who re-loads ammo. Or take it to Kay Jewelers! haha
Here is a thought. I know a dentist who rides and who hooked me up with his dental equip parts supplier. This dental parts guy had older, used dental ultrasonic machines that he could not sell. I picked up one that has a bath big enough for an entire carb, for $150. It is amazing at cleaning out places you could NEVER get to otherwise, without even tearing them apart. I love it when rebuilding older bikes that have carbs completely fouled. And it will never hurt rubber gaskets or seals (unlike carb cleaner)

oh, and my wife's jewelry has never looked better......

jeff

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #51560
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Munn View Post
Here is a thought. I know a dentist who rides and who hooked me up with his dental equip parts supplier. This dental parts guy had older, used dental ultrasonic machines that he could not sell. I picked up one that has a bath big enough for an entire carb, for $150. It is amazing at cleaning out places you could NEVER get to otherwise, without even tearing them apart. I love it when rebuilding older bikes that have carbs completely fouled. And it will never hurt rubber gaskets or seals (unlike carb cleaner)

oh, and my wife's jewelry has never looked better......

jeff
That sounds like it would be awesome! I'll have to keep an eye out...
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #51561
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
[QUOTE=Brown Falcon;20474542]
Hmm... I'll have to find someone nearby who re-loads ammo. Or take it to Kay Jewelers! haha[/QUOTE

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #51562
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

You've got to love Harbor Freight. The first unit Walter posted is on sale for $29.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ultraso...aner-3305.html

The second unit is larger, and has five different cleaning cycles. It is on sale for 74.99.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-lite...ner-95563.html

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-13-2013, 05:09 PM   #51563
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
Hey men!

Just catching up on the thread.... Lots of cool pictures from Spud!

3girls Dad... Looks like a great time putting all the goodies on! I'd like to ride with ya when and if I'm in Austin... Maybe we could have a group ride?

I received my old "L" back from CycleWizard this last week. Holy cow that is a talented man! That motor RIPS!!!!! He swapped the NX 2nd and 5th gears and am running 15/45 gearing, which is way too tall now. In fifth barely above idle I am rolling at 65-70 and there is most of the throttle to go. I'm gonna swap to a 14 front and see how that does... I may go ahead and order a 48 rear as well so I can swap them around and get te right gearing.

CW put a Flat Track cam, big valves and I think it's 724 now... All I could possibly ask for!

I have one issue that maybe the knowledgeable here could help with. I have a CRF front end, raised way up in the trees until the forks are almost hitting the bars and I think they may eed to go higher...I'll find some spacers and try to get another 1/2" or so.

In the rear, I have a stock shock with a lowering link. I usually run an Ohlins for a 600R, but it's still at Kyle racing. The 600R shock with a lowering link nets the same ride height as the 650L.

The problem is, at 68MPH the bars are swapping so bad it scares the crap out of me. I am guessing I have the stink bug action going on. I'd like to find a stock wishbone if anyone wants to trade for a Devol lowering link, I'd pay shipping for all of it. I have a Red one with no Zerk Grease fittings and a mill finish with the fittings... Take your pick. Both have fairly new bearings pressed in and are in great shape.

I am hoping the link and raising the forks will get rid of the headshake... I'd LOVE to see top speed with this gearing before I change it out.

Thanks for any input and assistance!

Braaaaap
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #51564
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Hey men!

3girls Dad... Looks like a great time putting all the goodies on! I'd like to ride with ya when and if I'm in Austin... Maybe we could have a group ride?

I'd like to find a stock wishbone if anyone wants to trade for a Devol lowering link, I'd pay shipping for all of it. I have a Red one with no Zerk Grease fittings and a mill finish with the fittings... Take your pick. Both have fairly new bearings pressed in and are in great shape.
wattner, just yell when you come to austin there are some great riding spots around the area. be more than happy to show you around.

also, i have a spare swingarm with stock dogbones. i don't know the history of it/them, but they seem to be in great shape. i'll pm you.
2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:18 PM   #51565
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Here is a photograph I discovered of a stripped countershaft on a bike without a cush drive. However, this bike is a Husaberg.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=1448

Rad hubs with cush drives are very expensive. I'm glad the XR650R C/S sprocket works so well for our XR650L bikes.

Spud
Old 01-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #51566
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,412
Quote:
Hey men!

I received my old "L" back from CycleWizard this last week. Holy cow that is a talented man! That motor RIPS!!!!! He swapped the NX 2nd and 5th gears and am running 15/45 gearing, which is way too tall now. In fifth barely above idle I am rolling at 65-70 and there is most of the throttle to go. I'm gonna swap to a 14 front and see how that does... I may go ahead and order a 48 rear as well so I can swap them around and get te right gearing.

CW put a Flat Track cam, big valves and I think it's 724 now... All I could possibly ask for!

I have one issue that maybe the knowledgeable here could help with. I have a CRF front end, raised way up in the trees until the forks are almost hitting the bars and I think they may eed to go higher...I'll find some spacers and try to get another 1/2" or so.

In the rear, I have a stock shock with a lowering link. I usually run an Ohlins for a 600R, but it's still at Kyle racing. The 600R shock with a lowering link nets the same ride height as the 650L.

The problem is, at 68MPH the bars are swapping so bad it scares the crap out of me. I am guessing I have the stink bug action going on. I'd like to find a stock wishbone if anyone wants to trade for a Devol lowering link, I'd pay shipping for all of it. I have a Red one with no Zerk Grease fittings and a mill finish with the fittings... Take your pick. Both have fairly new bearings pressed in and are in great shape.

I am hoping the link and raising the forks will get rid of the headshake... I'd LOVE to see top speed with this gearing before I change it out.

Braaaaap
I think you're going the wrong way.. you want to lower the forks in the trees for more hi speed stability.. mine have just a few mm sticking up as per factory connection

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #51567
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Hey men!

Braaaaap
You are going the wrong way.Lower the forks to raise the front and try it.Steep rake is quicker turning and less stability.Raked out {think chopper] isslow turning and stable,
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #51568
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey men!

Braaaaap
You are going the wrong way.Drop your forks down and raise the front.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:53 PM   #51569
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,177
Quote:
I think you're going the wrong way.. you want to lower the forks in the trees for more hi speed stability.. mine have just a few mm sticking up as per factory connection
Even with the CRF front end? The bike is WAY tall! When you raise the forks in the trees it lowers the bike....

Thanks!
Wattner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #51570
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey men!

Braaaaap
Quote:
Even with the CRF front end? The bike is WAY tall! When you raise the forks in the trees it lowers the bike....

Thanks!
You either have to make the front higher or the back lower.