ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Its all about rake and trail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burque magoo View Post
when you're done riding, make sure you rake the trail.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Some feel the need to rake the trail, me, I just ride on the leaves.
Sorry Joe... there's a couple in every crowd!
Facts and figures aren't for everyone...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #51632
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,556
[QUOTE=ONandOFF;20483839]Sorry Joe... there's a couple in every crowd!
Thank God
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:13 PM   #51633
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Even with the CRF front end? The bike is WAY tall! When you raise the forks in the trees it lowers the bike....

Thanks!
I'll measure mine if you like but what every suspension item Ive ever read says that lowering the forks in the tress will make it more stable straight at speed but less happy to turn. Raising the forks in the trees will make it more nimble but at the cost of high speed stability. keep in mind deepending on how much sag you have in the rear shock it will effect the angle too. so if you are running alot of sag you would not need to have the forks as low in the triples..
Think chopper , front end high rear low good at straight and speed but bad at turning slow.. all weight on rear. a reverse chopper would do the opposite.. highly recomend race techs suspension bible
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #51634
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Sorry Joe... there's a couple in every crowd!
Facts and figures aren't for everyone...
Well , you know , some people just stumble through life.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #51635
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Hi Mike,

Can you post a pic of the mounts? are you using the power bomb? or the hi flow header?

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
Not until the garage temp gets above 20 degrees.

I welded a nut on the side of a section of pipe and then used a couple of clamps to hold that n the pipe. the header is a power bomb. It works well with the 41FCR pumper I put on.

Cheers
Old 01-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #51636
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,556
Quote:
Well , you know , some people just stumble through life.
Stumbling not a problem, it's the falling thats the killer
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #51637
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Usually the falling down is easier than the getting up.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #51638
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,053
Actually it's the sudden stop.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM   #51639
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,305
The falling down is easier than the getting up, but it's the sudden stop what gits ya!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #51640
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I'll measure mine if you like but what every suspension item Ive ever read says that lowering the forks in the tress will make it more stable straight at speed but less happy to turn. Raising the forks in the trees will make it more nimble but at the cost of high speed stability. keep in mind deepending on how much sag you have in the rear shock it will effect the angle too. so if you are running alot of sag you would not need to have the forks as low in the triples..
Think chopper , front end high rear low good at straight and speed but bad at turning slow.. all weight on rear. a reverse chopper would do the opposite.. highly recomend race techs suspension bible
Kenny got it right. Let me add though that sometimes if you lower the forks enough (less fork sticking out the top triple) you can take so much weight of the front tire you cause the tire to hunt, causing instability. Though the bike has increased rake and trail which should increase stability, it is actually less stable. This is much more true with dirt bikes than slab cruisers. Lots of sag exacerbates this. A new Dunlop 606 will guarantee it (at least with my set up). Funny though, after a few miles this went away. MT21 for me next time.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #51641
tmaxx222
XR Rider

Oddometer: 4
Anyone have some pics of a xl250l 84-87 with the clutch cover removed?

I took mine off just to replace the leaky gasket but a metal ball, washer, and o-ring were sitting in the bottom of the case and i have no idea where they go. Im hoping it goes in between the clutch and arm that pushes the clutch plate or related to the kick starter spindle.

I've looked at the diagrams but cannot figure out where the parts go(http://www.partzilla.com/parts/searc...VER/parts.html)

Any pics or info would be great
tmaxx222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #51642
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,631
Recently I ordered a small, pulse width modulation (PWM), LED dimmer on eBay for $3.48 delivered. I just received this device, and it is very well manufactured for the price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140813968248...84.m1497.l2649

I am going to substitute this PWM device for the 2-ohm resistor which reduces power for the low setting on my Tusk grip heaters. This PWM device is fully adjustable from zero power to full power. This dimmer is also small enough to fit easily behind the headlight shroud; it has the following dimensions.

Length: 2-5/8 inches
Width: 1-5/16 inches
Height: 1-5/16 inches

This PWM device is rated for 5 amps current, and 60 watts power. The Tusk grip heaters draw a maximum of 3 amps current, and 36 watts power.

My Tusk Grip Heaters are currently wired in the following manner.

I am going to buy a DPDT, center-off switch from Radio Shack to replace my current switch.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2062518#

Then I am going to remove the 2 ohm resistor, and wire my PWM device in the following manner.

After setting the PWM device for the desired heat at the "low" setting, I will secure the adjusting knob with electrical tape, and stash the PWM device behind the headlight shroud. My 3-position, power switch will remain in the same location.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 12:44 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #51643
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

What exactly are grip heaters for?
Old 01-15-2013, 12:01 AM   #51644
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
What exactly are grip heaters for?
Grip heaters are heating elements which attach to the handlebar under the handgrip, and draw current from the electrical system. As current flows through the heating elements, they radiate heat and help keep your hands warm.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #51645
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Here's an interesting video which explains the correct way to tighten the front axle on your motorcycle.

Spud