ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #51661
ONandOFF
-ROAD-
 
ONandOFF's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Shenandoah Valley riding wonderland
Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
...A Pulse Width Modulation device turns the power on and off rapidly. The duration that the power is in the on portion of the cycle is often termed the duty cycle. ...
Nice intro, fellow audio guy. While a PWM controller avoids wasting most of the heat that a series resistor or linear regulator would, it still burns some. The turn-on and turn-off are not instant so during the switching time there is E-I product. When on, there is switch resistance. There is also control circuitry power requirements. The ratio of the power input to the power output to the load is termed the efficiency (times 100 for percent). The controllers exemplified are likely in the 80 to 90 percent efficiency range.

A real advantage of PWM controller would be to regulate the output voltage, in such a way as the control knob telling the circuitry what voltage to make the output - instead of the shortcut where the knob controls the duty cycle. In voltage regulator mode, the pulse width is varied by the controller to keep the output voltage constant regardless of changes of input voltage (within the compliance range). That way the heated gear puts out a constant heat commensurate with the knob setting, instead of varying with the charging system voltage.

Cheers!
__________________
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #51662
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Thumb Welds on my stock headers look pretty darn good

I'm in the process of installing a powerbomb on my bike, once I got the stock header off, I was shocked at how smooth and unobtrusive the header welds were. I haven't even cleaned them off yet, but just looking at how they came off the bike, they're almost as smooth as the FMF welds....very well done. Unless the po already ground them down, which it doesn't look like so far, there's really no reason to grind them imo, at least from looking at my stockers.
In fact there really isn't much TO grind down. Maybe not all stockers got the same weld treatment? Mines an 04.

I will clean them up tho to be sure they actually haven't been ground down.
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:37 PM   #51663
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
...Hey Spud, please don't change
Thank you for the kind words. I hate winter, but I love riding here after the snow melts.



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:43 PM   #51664
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,676


I have tested this PWM device on my 12-volt power source. I'm pleased to report this LED dimmer smoothly regulates the power from zero to 100 percent output. I am also pleasantly surprised with the robustness and quality of this inexpensive, LED dimmer.

I will wait for warmer weather before I modify my wiring with this PWM device. However, since this LED dimmer is so small and lightweight, I am becoming tempted to attach it with velcro to the inside of the upper, left side of my headlight shroud; then I could easily fine tune the "low" heat setting any time I pleased.



Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #51665
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm in the process of installing a powerbomb on my bike, once I got the stock header off, I was shocked at how smooth and unobtrusive the header welds were. I haven't even cleaned them off yet, but just looking at how they came off the bike, they're almost as smooth as the FMF welds....very well done. Unless the po already ground them down, which it doesn't look like so far, there's really no reason to grind them imo, at least from looking at my stockers.
In fact there really isn't much TO grind down. Maybe not all stockers got the same weld treatment? Mines an 04.

I will clean them up tho to be sure they actually haven't been ground down.
Which welds are you referring to? Are they inside the inlet of the pipes, or the outlet?

Just curious because I've heard that some need to be ground down, but was never sure which part of the pipe...
__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #51666
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler
 
ThumpnRed's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Eye Duh Hoe
Oddometer: 2,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm in the process of installing a powerbomb on my bike, once I got the stock header off, I was shocked at how smooth and unobtrusive the header welds were. I haven't even cleaned them off yet, but just looking at how they came off the bike, they're almost as smooth as the FMF welds....very well done. Unless the po already ground them down, which it doesn't look like so far, there's really no reason to grind them imo, at least from looking at my stockers.
In fact there really isn't much TO grind down. Maybe not all stockers got the same weld treatment? Mines an 04.

I will clean them up tho to be sure they actually haven't been ground down.
The welds on the header on my '93 were HUGE. They restricted the diameter of the pipe quite a bit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike :With plastic buy two.
'93 XR650L A few stock parts left...
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:04 PM   #51667
thebigman
bout a dollar 3.98
 
thebigman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: Texas Gulf Coast
Oddometer: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Which welds are you referring to? Are they inside the inlet of the pipes, or the outlet?

Just curious because I've heard that some need to be ground down, but was never sure which part of the pipe...

This








Use this




ends like this

__________________
Marko

08 xr650l ,99 xr650l, 10 HDXR1200X ,84atc200s 85atc200s, 80ct110 ,99xr70, 04xr650l ,

Dumb ass people do dumb ass things
thebigman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #51668
taco250
wannabe adventurer
 
taco250's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: LaGrange, GA
Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post


I have tested this PWM device on my 12-volt power source. I'm pleased to report this LED dimmer smoothly regulates the power from zero to 100 percent output. I am also pleasantly surprised with the robustness and quality of this inexpensive, LED dimmer.

I will wait for warmer weather before I modify my wiring with this PWM device. However, since this LED dimmer is so small and lightweight, I am becoming tempted to attach it with velcro to the inside of the upper, left side of my headlight shroud; then I could easily fine tune the "low" heat setting any time I pleased.



Spud
Do you think this knob will hold its setting on bumpy roads/trails?
__________________
Prov 3:5 & 6

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #51669
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Yep... the turn signal flasher on the low side of my grip warmers is a ghetto PWM device It just has one setting.... 50%
Hey, it works! I have no complaints with mine. The only reason I'm going with the dimmer is to have infinite settings...and I wont have to bolt anything onto the fairing/cockpit area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
You're welcome. Have your received your LED dimmers? I was pleasantly surprised by the robustness and quality of this inexpensive PWM device. You can definitely turn the knob with a gloved finger, but I don't think you could completely turn this switch on and off for many cycles before it would fail. Fortunately, you can effectively reduce the current draw to virtually nothing by turning the knob all the way down, without actually clicking it off. However, for a variety of reasons, I would still recommend keeping the on/off switch. You can easily wire this LED dimmer in series with the stock switch. Just replace the 2 ohm resistor with the PWM device, and route the ground wires from both grip heaters back to the device. Then ground the PWM device to the frame.

Spud
I just ordered them right before I posted. I was waiting on your report. Thanks again!

J/K

I just never got around to it until you mentioned it. It's also been so warm the last couple weeks, since right after I installed them, that I haven't needed them.
I don't see how the guy can sell and ship them for that price. He must get them for 50 cents.
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST



bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #51670
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Ben99r1's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Pomona, Calif.
Oddometer: 2,984
What wire to install it too?

I got the tusk grip warmers. I always have trouble with wiring I just done like messing with it. So I wont be going with any other switches or relays. I just want to use what came with the kit. Can someone till what wire should I splice into? What color is it and where about is it? I need one that will not get power when I turn off the key. Thanks guys
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #51671
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
What exactly are grip heaters for?
I was kidding , I live in west , central florida. It was 80 today.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #51672
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider
 
Mossy-Back's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Corvallis, OR
Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
This








Use this




ends like this

Thank you! I'll check mine out next time the header is off.
__________________
Evan
2013 Husqvarna Strada
'93 XR650L (Gone, but missed)
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #51673
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer
 
bwalsh's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Hell town
Oddometer: 10,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I got the tusk grip warmers. I always have trouble with wiring I just done like messing with it. So I wont be going with any other switches or relays. I just want to use what came with the kit. Can someone till what wire should I splice into? What color is it and where about is it? I need one that will not get power when I turn off the key. Thanks guys
Just run a wire from the battery for hot and use any green wire up behind the headlight for a ground. I don't like drawing current from a wire for another accessory. I would recommend adding an inline fuse on the hot side. If you are going to keep the ceramic resistor put it in a place where it wont touch anything. It gets HOT and can melt plastic...on wires, headlight shroud, etc.

EDIT: One more thing, if you don't use a relay DON'T forget to turn them off!!!
__________________
2004 XR650L / 2001 R1150GS
NWVA TAG NWVA TAG MAP RTE THREAD & IN LIST




bwalsh screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 05:14 PM
bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #51674
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Do you think this knob will hold its setting on bumpy roads/trails?
Yes, I'm confident the knob will hold its setting, even in the roughest terrain. However, if the knob loosens, one can always tape it in the desired position. Also, one can merely replace the entire unit for $3.48, delivered.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #51675
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer
 
Spud Rider's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Idaho
Oddometer: 3,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
...I just ordered them right before I posted. I was waiting on your report. Thanks again!

J/K

I just never got around to it until you mentioned it. It's also been so warm the last couple weeks, since right after I installed them, that I haven't needed them.
I don't see how the guy can sell and ship them for that price. He must get them for 50 cents.


You're welcome. This PWM device is pretty rugged, and fairly water resistant. One could also add a little RTV to the seams if he wished to further increase water resistance. The device is so lightweight, a little velcro will hold it securely to any vertical surface. The only weakness I discovered is the knob will not sustain many on/off cycles before it fails.

Spud
__________________
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014