Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM   #51676
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Finished installing my FMF powerbomb header mated to my Big Gun silencer..no ride yet

I just finished bolting up my powerbomb to my Big Gun silencer, just wanted to share the info on how it went. First off, the powerbomb is VERY well made, pretty much what I expected tho from their reputation. Like ThumpnRed mentioned, the powerbomb headpipes arent any bigger at the head than the stockers, but they're smooth as silk weld wise, and have much thicker flanges. Plus they feel several lbs lighter, and look spectacular on the bike, really modernizes the look, and will be WAY easier to keep looking nice than the stock unit. The cool factor is off the charts.
The headers fit very well to the engine, but it took a fair amount of fiddling/adjusting to get the bomb to fit well with the Bug Gun silencer, but in the end it all fits together well, and clears everything
Thumpn said he didn't expect any performance gain, but was pleasantly suprised by a nice improvement in the midrange (similiar to what I've read elsewhere), which is exactly what I'm looking for.
I'm going to open up the top of the airbox a little more, and trim around the base of the seat to let more air underneath.

I'll let you guys know how it runs when I can get a ride in.....right now its sheets of ice and snow for roads, and been below freezing all day every day for way too long.........I really hate winter
Old 01-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #51677
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Just run a wire from the battery for hot and use any green wire up behind the headlight for a ground. I don't like drawing current from a wire for another accessory. I would recommend adding an inline fuse on the hot side. If you are going to keep the ceramic resistor put it in a place where it wont touch anything. It gets HOT and can melt plastic...on wires, headlight shroud, etc.

EDIT: One more thing, if you don't use a relay DON'T forget to turn them off!!!
That's why I want it to be connected to the key switch some how. Knowing me like I do I will forget to turn it off. I guess I better just wait and figure out this whole resistors and switches thing some of the guys are talking about. (spud rider hurry up and install yours so I can barrow/ steal the way you installed yours.) I really hate wiring sh!t up.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #51678
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,822
Sierra,

Cutting up the top of the air box is a waste of time if you have a stock motor. You will not find any difference in performance.

Now if you had a CW motor with a monster cam then yes, opening the air box might be of some help.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #51679
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,323
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855866

Old 01-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #51680
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
word, not to mention the fact that you are going to be letting in a bunch of dirt and dust from cutting up that perfectly designed honda seat lip that prevents just that...

anywhoooooooooo

if you do decide to go that route you need to coat all the inside faces and airbox intake with grease....youll be surprised who much cleaner your filter lasts
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #51681
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post

He'll be sorry...

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #51682
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Sierra,

Cutting up the top of the air box is a waste of time if you have a stock motor. You will not find any difference in performance.

Now if you had a CW motor with a monster cam then yes, opening the air box might be of some help.
I found that not to be the case when going with the 41FCR and FMF muffler. It does make a difference.

Cheers
Old 01-15-2013, 06:30 PM   #51683
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Sierra,

After inspecting my bike with the seat on, I realized there is VERY little room around the entire seat/airbox area for any air to actually get in......its really VERY restrictive looking. I just can't help but feel that with all the breathing mods done on my bike from the intake/carb/exhaust, that a little more air would help. On other machines I've had good luck opening up the airboxes some I'm not going crazy, just wanted to cut another slot next to the stock airbox hole, and open up the seat area some. In my online research I read of guys having good results with some minor air flow improvements. Its hard for me to stick on a higher velocity, better flowing header and leave the airbox trying to breathe through the tiny, wiring obstructed slots under the seat.
In the end you'll prolly be right tho

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
word, not to mention the fact that you are going to be letting in a bunch of dirt and dust from cutting up that perfectly designed honda seat lip that prevents just that...

anywhoooooooooo

if you do decide to go that route you need to coat all the inside faces and airbox intake with grease....youll be surprised who much cleaner your filter lasts
Believe me I DON'T want to cut anything, I'm inherently lazy, and would love to just put the bike back together with the new exhaust installed......but I can't, knowing that a little trimming could possibly complement the new exhaust nicely, and give me some added performance. I know, its a sickness
And thanks for the grease trick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike View Post
I found that not to be the case when going with the 41FCR and FMF muffler. It does make a difference.

Cheers
Thats what I've read in my research, I figure its worth a shot
Old 01-15-2013, 06:42 PM   #51684
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 596
If you want to let the air in, simply pull out the factory snorkle that goes in the top of the airbox. Then, look at the bottom of your seat and find the plastic fins that go across the forward section of the seat pan. They are strengthening ribs that you can drill a few holes in to allow more air to flow without weakening anything.

Pop a UNI filter in there and you will be golden.
1983 XL100S
1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #51685
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,744
They

Are normally jetted so lean, cutting holes in the air box will just make them run leaner.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #51686
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Thats why you rejet.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #51687
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
... I was shocked at how smooth and unobtrusive the header welds were. ... there's really no reason to grind them imo, ... Mines an 04. ...
Fascinating! I found the same thing on my '04! No real obstruction, just a hint of splatter in a couple spots, easily cleaned up with the dremel grinder. Didn't look anything like the fat ones Marko put up.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #51688
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
...since this LED dimmer is so small and lightweight, I am becoming tempted to attach it with velcro to the inside of the upper, left side of my headlight shroud; then I could easily fine tune the "low" heat setting any time I pleased. ...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #51689
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
I got the tusk grip warmers. I always have trouble with wiring I just done like messing with it. So I wont be going with any other switches or relays. I just want to use what came with the kit. Can someone till what wire should I splice into? What color is it and where about is it? I need one that will not get power when I turn off the key. Thanks guys
That's like the tire repair man asking around "what wrench should I use to take the tire off"!
Seriously, Ben, do yourself a favor and have somebody who knows what they are doing do it for you!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #51690
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I was kidding , I live in west , central florida. It was 80 today.