Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #51766
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
More discs equals more noise. You can try taking them out one by one until you get to a level of noise that's acceptable... but you might not get there with that pipe, if it's the E2 that my L came with I know it was noisy as hell, and after removing enough discs to make it about the same level as a stock muffler, it was way too restrictive. Piece of crap.
Speaking of which, do you (you all) have any idea how to make a Pro Circuit T4S quieter? I don't think that there are disks inside (like the Super Trapp).

The thing drives me crazy. The bike came with the Pro Circuit piece, but I would rather go back to stock, if I had a chance. Maybe there is someway to quiet it down??
Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 PM   #51767
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
More discs equals more noise. ... if it's the E2 .... Piece of crap.
You may think so; I don't. It may be a touch loud, but it's not outrageous, and mine can walk around any other XRL I've twisted throttles against, including the FMF. It's very lightweigh too. Robust - it's been dumped on a time or two - sticker's gone now from landing in the rock gardens - and it looks nice, even scratched up.

But thanks for the explanation of the discs... If I ever see where they are, I'll understand!

If you don't want yours....
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #51768
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Speaking of which, do you (you all) have any idea how to make a Pro Circuit T4S quieter?
Take the spark plug out.

RZ Rob
RZRob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #51769
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It's not the cold as much as it is the layer of ice on the roads. Of course, I am an old pussy so I wouldnt be riding even if the roads were clear. I spent too much of my life being wet and cold for a living ... I'll be damned if I'll do it for FUN. That's also why I seldom go camping anymore. Sleeping on the ground? in a tent? Ah... no thanks
A lady I work with says camping is when there's no room service.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #51770
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
[QUOTE=Ben99r1;20504792][QUOTE=bwalsh;20503872]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post

It is REAL easy to replace this with the signal flasher. Cut the two wires going into the resistor, attach a female connector to the two wires and plug them into the two prong flasher. Zip tie it in place, Done!
THIS IS WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW. Thanks
I knew we could talk you into doing the mod. LOL
Hell, if you're really going to do this just get that dimmer and the relay and do away with the resistor and the switch. The dimmer, shipped, is cheaper than the flasher.

bwalsh screwed with this post 01-16-2013 at 09:52 PM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #51771
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,984
[QUOTE=bwalsh;20505260][QUOTE=Ben99r1;20504792]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

I knew we could talk you into doing the mod. LOL
Hell, if you're really going to do this just get that dimmer and the relay and do away with the resistor and the switch. The dimmer, shipped, is cheaper than the flasher.
Crap! Your probably rt. Can you send me a link. Ill order it as soon as I get it.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #51772
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Crap! Your probably rt. Can you send me a link. Ill order it as soon as I get it.
Ben, here's a link to the pulse width modulation (PWM) device I bought.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140813968248...84.m1497.l2649

Here's the way I am going to wire the PWM device. I am going to substitute this PWM device for the 2-ohm resistor which reduces power for the low setting on my Tusk grip heaters. This PWM device is fully adjustable from zero power to full power. This dimmer is also small enough to fit easily behind the headlight shroud; it has the following dimensions.

Length: 2-5/8 inches
Width: 1-5/16 inches
Height: 1-5/16 inches

This PWM device is rated for 5 amps current, and 60 watts power. The Tusk grip heaters draw a maximum of 3 amps current, and 36 watts power.

My Tusk Grip Heaters are currently wired in the following manner.

I am going to buy a DPDT, center-off switch from Radio Shack to replace my current switch.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=2062518#

Then I am going to remove the 2 ohm resistor, and wire my PWM device in the following manner.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:32 AM   #51773
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
I am just in a bitchy mood I HATE cold weather...
Good gawd... no politics! If someone starts up about gun control or health care reform
The mangina gets sore when I cant ride... Too cold in the garage to even work on the bike
I'm right there with you....I've been a little edgy ever since our brutal winter weather has locked me in
My way of protesting is putting a heat dish on each side of my bike in the garage, and working on it anyway....SCREW WINTER ....if I can't ride I can still mod, and get the bike ready for spring
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #51774
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Here's my vote:

And Fritz comes through for us again
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #51775
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=bwalsh;20503872]
Quote:

It is REAL easy to replace this with the signal flasher. Cut the two wires going into the resistor, attach a female connector to the two wires and plug them into the two prong flasher. Zip tie it in place, Done!

What about this...

2013 Honda CRF450 Rally

Quote:
And while the racer looks like a solid rig, the greatest thing about the factory motorcycle is that its rally parts will be commercially available in kit form, much in the same way Honda has sold go fast bits through their race division, HRC.
"The pricing and distribution of the rally kit are still in the planning stages," American Honda rep Kevin Aschenbach told me over email. But whatever the cost (and the assumed non-legality of road use), how cool would it be to own a clone of a factory Dakar Rally race bike?!

http://motorcycles.about.com/b/2012/...rally-bike.htm

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/fi..._crf450_rally/

I wonder if you could slap a dual sport kit on that puppy from the dealer and ? One of those and a Giant loop bag and you'd be good to go...anywhere!

Did I miss the discussion about this or are all you FF's slacking? I'd damn near give my right arm and left testicle for that bike!
I talked to one of the guys at the local honda shop a few days ago about street legalizing the crf450x.....he said its super easy, they do it all the time for customers. He said they do the inspection after either you or they stick on a dual sport kit, fill out a form, send it to the dmv and you get a plate and sticker....and BAM! your on the road.
I live in Nevada, and street legalized my 84 xr500r many years ago....it was a cinch, but I heard things had changed since then.....but the dealer service guy said they'd loosened the laws back up again. I might seriously look at picking up a lightweight enduro with lights and converting it to street to go along with the xrl
Old 01-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #51776
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
EXACTLY! Pitiful Mangina Syndrome
Old 01-17-2013, 02:18 AM   #51777
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
I'm happy so far with my Primary Drive 48 tooth sprocket, and RK 520EXW X-ring chain. Got both for good prices from Rocky Mountain ATV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I also enjoy my Primary Drive, 48T rear sprocket and RK 520EXW drive chain. On the countershaft I employ a 14T, XR650R C/S sprocket from either PBI, or Moose Racing.

Spud
Thanks guys. Hey Spud, I've read here a few times that the 14 tooth will lead to premature wear of the chain slipper what's your experience? That was the main reason i was going to go with the XRR 15tooth front, but if it's no biggie I could put in the 14 for a little more wheelie time

How many links is your chain for the 14/48 combo? Would I need another link or two to make it to 15/48 or will the snails on the back take up the slack? I know a lot of guys do it and talk about swapping front sprockets but I don't remember seeing anything about adjustments...

-Barron
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 AM   #51778
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Thanks guys. Hey Spud, I've read here a few times that the 14 tooth will lead to premature wear of the chain slipper what's your experience? That was the main reason i was going to go with the XRR 15tooth front, but if it's no biggie I could put in the 14 for a little more wheelie time ...
I haven't had any problems with premature wear of the chain slider. I am still using the original chain slider with 40,000 miles on my bike's odometer. Besides my current, 14T sprocket, I have also used a 13T C/S sprocket for many of those 40,000 miles.
Quote:
...How many links is your chain for the 14/48 combo? Would I need another link or two to make it to 15/48 or will the snails on the back take up the slack? I know a lot of guys do it and talk about swapping front sprockets but I don't remember seeing anything about adjustments...

-Barron
I am running a 110-link drive chain with my 14T/48T sprocket combination. I have also switched to a 15T C/S sprocket with the same, 110-link drive chain.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 01-17-2013, 02:53 AM   #51779
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I haven't had any problems with premature wear of the chain slider. I am still using the original chain slider with 40,000 miles on my bike's odometer. Besides my current, 14T sprocket, I have also used a 13T C/S sprocket for many of those 40,000 miles.

I am running a 110-link drive chain with my 14T/48T sprocket combination. I have also switched to a 15T C/S sprocket with the same, 110-link drive chain.

Spud
Thanks man, just what I was looking for

-Barron
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 AM   #51780
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks man, just what I was looking for

-Barron
You're welcome. I know many riders are having problems with excessive wear of the chain slider. For whatever reason, I don't have any problems whatsoever, and I frequently check the condition of my chain slider. I always keep my chain properly adjusted. I have installed a Performance Design Lowering Link. I also installed a chain roller in place of the stock, chain slipper. Perhaps one, or all of these factors have helped to preserve my chain slider.

Spud