Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 AM   #51796
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,620
Ben, this is the relay I got at autozone...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tridon-4-pin-40-Amps-12-Volts-accessory-relay/_/N-4bb1?itemIdentifier=203873_0_0_

And of course the dimmer link, thanks to Spud!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/140813968248...84.m1497.l2649

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
This is what I wanted but NY State is too oppressive to allow you to do the conversion, there are some around already done before the DMV blacklisted the bikes and I now hear that DMV has started to revoke previously titled black listed bikes. Could be a rumor but seeing I need to be able to run on the road I was not willing to take the chance. I really liked the XRR that I tested out.
I think it was in The Perfect line...or was it Jo momma, someone from NY mentioned that NY was doing that.

bwalsh screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 09:15 AM
bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #51797
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
The slider wear is probably from a chain being too loose. I had to replace mine awhile back. Wasn't worn thru but it was worn.

It is easy to see that a smaller countershaft sprocket would move the chain closer to the swing arm and increase the wear on the slider by some amount. And of course proper adjustment of the chain minimizes the contact of the chain to the slider. Also and maybe more importantly, a larger sprocket reduces the wear of the chain because the chain deflects less around a larger radius sprocket. Granted not a huge difference but the chain makes a bunch of laps around the sprockets and a little difference either way adds up quickly. Reducing the ride height moves the chain further away from the top of the swing arm and you can see that there is a bunch of clearance between the chain and the bottom of the swing arm even at stock ride height.

Changing the counter shaft sprocket to affect finial reduction is quick and easy but keeping as large as possible counter shaft sprocket and installing larger wheel sprockets is better in the long run. Additionally, placing the reduction as close as possible to the point of load is most mechanically efficent ( ie. big sprocket on the wheel ).

PS: I just put my 48 T rear sprocket back on for Comming Attractions in the Big Bend of Texas and the difference in the chain snail adjuster to the stock 45 T spprocket was 24 ( 45 = 29 and 48 = 5 ) both with a 110 link chain.

and your point is?

V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V V

Ur a hater.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 08:15 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #51798
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Is that road rash on the side of the fairing?
Yes, BUT it is above minimum thickness as measured by a certified BMW fairing/body panel thickness gage.
Really pretty amazing, the bike took a bad fall and big slide and not one tab or mount on the fairing broke!

I got your road rash right here! Here's the saddle bag cover from that slide.

So what happened to our Gun Control debate!
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 08:20 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #51799
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
You may think so; I don't. It may be a touch loud, but it's not outrageous, and mine can walk around any other XRL I've twisted throttles against, including the FMF. It's very lightweigh too. Robust - it's been dumped on a time or two - sticker's gone now from landing in the rock gardens - and it looks nice, even scratched up.

But thanks for the explanation of the discs... If I ever see where they are, I'll understand!

If you don't want yours....
If you haven't found them you've been looking in the wrong place

The darker area between the chrome tip and the aluminum body is made of up several discs, 10 is stock I think. Had one on an XR400 ended up running about 6 discs to get the best combination of performance and not obnoxious. The less discs the more restriction, more discs less restriction. With less restriction often comes noise.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #51800
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post

It is easy to see that a smaller countershaft sprocket would move the chain closer to the swing arm and increase the wear on the slider by some amount. And of course proper adjustment of the chain minimizes the contact of the chain to the slider. Also and maybe more importantly, a larger sprocket reduces the wear of the chain because the chain deflects less around a larger radius sprocket.
I've always used a 15t sprocket. I've got a 14 but have never used it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
Reducing the ride height moves the chain further away from the top of the swing arm and you can see that there is a bunch of clearance between the chain and the bottom of the swing arm even at stock ride height.

My bike has a Kouba link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc

Ur a hater.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:48 AM   #51801
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
More discs equals more noise. You can try taking them out one by one until you get to a level of noise that's acceptable....
Thanks... Yes you are correct... I was wrong in my original post (asking how to make my White Brother E Series exhaust more quiet). With more research I found the following info:

Less discs = less noise = less top end = more low end torque
More discs = more noise = more top end = less low end torque

Aside from removing discs I believe a Quiet Core Insert was sold when White Brothers was still in business. Perhaps acquiring one of these is what I need. If I can't acquire one of these then I'll soon be in the market for a FMF Q4 or maybe trading my White Brothers for a used stocker (anyone interested??).

I didn't even know about the discs until I started researching them... Mine currently has no discs... And is, in my opinion, still too loud. Even a local, long time HareScramble racer/mechanic recently told me that my exhaust is terribly loud.

More research has revealed that White Brothers are apparently notorious for blowing out their packing which can contribute to increased noise levels. I'm going to look into this next. From what I've read repacking consists of drilling out the the factory rivets, replacing the packing, and installing new rivets.

I like for an exhaust to be as quiet as possible... I prefer to not draw attention to myself when riding. There are only two occasions that I think excessive noise is beneficial:
1. If the noise makes you more "visible" on the road.
2. When standing around drinking beer and showing off the bike to friends... especially non-riders. There seems to be a direct correlation between perceived cool factor and the amount of noise the bike creates... The louder it is the bigger my non-rider friend's "seal-of-man-toy-approval" seems to be! Kind of comical...

If anyone stumbles across a White Brothers Quiet Core Insert, has a spare stock pipe you'll let go for cheap, has a used FMF Q4, or is interested in trading a White Brothers for a stocker let me know.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #51802
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
If you haven't found them you've been looking in the wrong place

The darker area between the chrome tip and the aluminum body is made of up several discs, 10 is stock I think. Had one on an XR400 ended up running about 6 discs to get the best combination of performance and not obnoxious. The less discs the more restriction, more discs less restriction. With less restriction often comes noise.
Thank you for posting the pic... I believe you are correct in your assessment of the restriction/noise correlation.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #51803
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
A lady I work with says camping is when there's no room service.
Interesting, my GF says it's when she stands real close to the window at the Four Seasons...
Old 01-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #51804
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Thank you for posting the pic... I believe you are correct in your assessment of the restriction/noise correlation.
Interesting things on the E series was there were two different "end caps" (that chrome part". The one that shows in the picture I posted is not open on the end. It's kind of dished out but all the exhaust gas exits between the discs not out the end. White Bros had a straight through end cap where you didn't need disc. Using it would be like running an open pipe.

This picture shows the different end caps. The one on top and on bottom are closed. The middle one is straight through.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #51805
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
More research has revealed that White Brothers are apparently notorious for blowing out their packing which can contribute to increased noise levels. I'm going to look into this next. From what I've read repacking consists of drilling out the the factory rivets, replacing the packing, and installing new rivets.
I have run a couple of supertrapps on bikes and they blew out the packing pretty quickly... and would get really obnoxious. I would explore the FMF premier packing kit. They will last a lot longer than a standard glass packing kit. Back in the day, I repacked my supertrapp with pink fiberglass insulation. It would last about one ride, but it was CHEAP.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #51806
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
So what happened to our Gun Control debate!
Still trying to figure out how to mount this on my F150. After all my right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed... This thing gives BRAAAAAP a whole new meaning!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #51807
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,345
[QUOTE=Sierra Thumper;20505761]
Quote:
I talked to one of the guys at the local honda shop a few days ago about street legalizing the crf450x.....he said its super easy, they do it all the time for customers. He said they do the inspection after either you or they stick on a dual sport kit, fill out a form, send it to the dmv and you get a plate and sticker....and BAM! your on the road.
I live in Nevada, and street legalized my 84 xr500r many years ago....it was a cinch, but I heard things had changed since then.....but the dealer service guy said they'd loosened the laws back up again. I might seriously look at picking up a lightweight enduro with lights and converting it to street to go along with the xrl
what state are you in? I'm going to do my xr600r here in NV when I get all settled across the border.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:48 AM   #51808
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,345
Quote:

That's what I want to do, but run a direct hot for the full and add a DPDT push button switch, if I can find one, like this:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...22PB-ND/611171

but this one is 14V2A. I think it would handle the grips, but it would be close....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #51809
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Quote:
...Alright Spud, you made me do it!!

Here's how I've been talking about wiring the dimmer without the switch.

I'm afraid that wiring won't work, BWalsh. The PWM device as two input wires and two output wires. The grip heaters must be wired in series with the PWM device. Therefore, you must feed a ground connection into the input side of the PWM device, and you must also feed the ground wires from the grip heaters into the output side of the PWM device. This following wiring diagram will work.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #51810
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Still trying to figure out how to mount this on my F150. After all my right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed... This thing gives BRAAAAAP a whole new meaning!
Hmmm GAU-8, 30mm of depleted uranium justice for the bastards doing 10 under the speed limit while talking on the phone in the fast lane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sALiuWg_I1k