Well that don't be looking good at all.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #51827
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicRider View Post
Look what was found when changing the oil in the BRP.
This was attached to the XR's Only magnetic oil plug (crankcase plug).
Any ideas as to what this part might be?

Mileage is about 4400. Year 2000 XR650L
Bike is running fine. I'm hesitant to do exploratory surgery unless necessary.

Link to pics:
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...Aasm7lw5aNWLiA

If it's magnetic, it's ferrous. Perhaps it's a gear tooth? Do you hear any noises, or encounter any difficulties while shifting?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-17-2013 at 03:59 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #51828
nic579
x

Oddometer: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
If it's magnetic, it's ferrous. Perhaps it's a gear tooth?

Spud
Is it this little tab off the rocker

nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #51829
nic579
x

Oddometer: 353
Another view
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #51830
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
...Alright Spud, you made me do it!!

Here's how I've been talking about wiring the dimmer without the switch.

This is how I encouraged Spud to do his, when he first started talking about it, and the way I'd do it. The only thing missing from this diagram, that I would put in, is an inline fuse next to the battery in the wire leading to the relay, say 20 amp for 12 gauge wire in the power circuit.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #51831
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Is it this little tab off the rocker

Engine would be hard to start if that tab was missing. The decom would not work.

Hey!! Thats MY finger.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #51832
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Just ride on down to Oregon and you can have my XR600 muffler and I'll take that T4 off your hands.
I'll see your proposal, and raise you. I will ride down to Corvallis, and give you my T4 with the rest of the XL attached, and your give me your stock muffler with the XR attached.

BTW: Have you seen my XL?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #51833
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
I've read from a few guys in VA that have plated dirt bikes that the biggest issue is that if the title says "dirt bike" in the body style you're f'd. SO what you do is take that title to the DMV with a buddy and "sell" it to him but when you fill out the paperwork for the new title you put motorcycle in the bodystyle block then he sells it back to you. It's about 60-80 bucks in the title transfer fees but it will let you get it on the road. YMMV. Another way is to get a bike from out of state and do the the same thing as above but without having to "sell" it. When you apply for the VA title make sure you put motorcycle in the body style block.

-Barron
The paper work you speak of is on the back of the title. It has to be turned into the DMV. If there is anything wrong with the title, erasure marks, lines scratched over with ink, missing signatures, etc. it is considered invalid, then you are really F'd.
With a Certificate of origin(COO), I assume there is no signing off by the PO but you have to turn that paper in as well. AFAIK they all say "off road only".
I've heard of a couple folks getting by the regs but you have to turn in your old title to the DMV rep. Occasionally a rep will not catch the "off road only" on a COO but not often.
There is a local inmate who just bought a used 2 stroke figuring on titling it. I'll ask him if he has done it yet and get back to you.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #51834
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,617
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Engine would be hard to start if that tab was missing. The decom would not work.

Hey!! Thats MY finger.
It's got a 3:1 compression ratio, you'd never notice.

From the tales of those who bump up the comp and install a cam with no decomp, it would probably light right off w/o the decomp.

Looks like could be part of the rockers to me as well.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #51835
RicRider
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Nic576,
That 2nd pic looks pretty close to the mystery chunk o steel. May have to pop the valve cover off and take a look.
Could that tab travel down to the crankcase?
RicRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #51836
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
I'll see your proposal, and raise you. I will ride down to Corvallis, and give you my T4 with the rest of the XL attached, and your give me your stock muffler with the XR attached.

BTW: Have you seen my XL?
Hmm, I don't recall seeing your XL... but NO, you can't have the XR! I've got a stock 600R muffler on my XRL with the insert removed. Currently fabbing up a turn-down for it.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #51837
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
...It is easy to see that a smaller countershaft sprocket would move the chain closer to the swing arm and increase the wear on the slider by some amount. .... Also and maybe more importantly, a larger sprocket reduces the wear of the chain because the chain deflects less around a larger radius sprocket. ......Changing the counter shaft sprocket to affect final reduction is quick and easy but keeping as large as possible counter shaft sprocket and installing larger wheel sprockets is better in the long run. Additionally, placing the reduction as close as possible to the point of load is most mechanically efficient ( ie. big sprocket on the wheel )...
Precisely why I opted to go to 15/50 from the popular 14/47. So far, so good.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #51838
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

This is how I encouraged Spud to do his, when he first started talking about it, and the way I'd do it. The only thing missing from this diagram, that I would put in, is an inline fuse next to the battery in the wire leading to the relay, say 20 amp for 12 gauge wire in the power circuit.
I knew I forgot something in the diagram. Well a couple things. I told ya'll I don't do diagrams.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #51839
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
If you haven't found them you've been looking in the wrong place

The darker area between the chrome tip and the aluminum body is made of up several discs, 10 is stock I think. Had one on an XR400 ended up running about 6 discs to get the best combination of performance and not obnoxious. The less discs the more restriction, more discs less restriction. With less restriction often comes noise.
I HAVE been looking in the wrong place, alright; mine is quite different. This is the best shot I can find at the moment:

It even had the sticker on then. Too bad we can't really see it.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #51840
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,463
In case anyone is curious, this is what the inside of the exhaust insert for a XR600R looks like. There was another tube on the inside originally restricting it to less than 3/4" and leaving an air gap between the inner baffle and the baffle which is the inner edge on the picture.

I cut the cap off of the insert in order to make a turn-down for my muffler. If I need to quiet it down any more than the turn-down does I'll probably weld a washer on the inside of the cap with a smaller hole, or make my own re-packable baffle similar to the Thumper Racing insert which is no longer made.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote