Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #51886
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
There's hope... Weatherman says temps at or above freezing tomorrow. That'll be a heat wave. High of 36 by mid-week! Tropical!
Yep, we'll be getting a few days in a row coming up that'll be a few degree's above freezing ourselves, hell who knows, it might even melt a 1/4 inch or so of snow
Maybe even expose a slight bit of pavement through the ice sheets here and there

I'd like to be able to find out what effect adding the powerbomb header and cutting an extra hole in my airbox has on my 58/155 jetting at 5000ft up. With Daves mods, slide drilled, uni, airbox cut, powerbomb header and big gun silencer, I'm not sure if my current jetting and stock shimmed needle will be enough or not.....maybe sometime in the next month (mother nature not withstanding) I'll actually get a chance to ride it and find out lol.

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 01-18-2013 at 03:09 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:36 PM   #51887
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
New to this forum, but not XR's...or dirtbikes for that matter

Hey all,
New to ADV and It is quite possible there'll be a Honda XR in my immediate future. I have been dualsportin' harescramblin' and supermoto-ing for years and after a brief hiatus from motorcycling (as I rediscovered my mtnbiking roots) I'm thinking of another go at it and returning to the world of XR's. I had an old '87 XL600r (pictured below) which only wet my whistle for big bore 4strokin'. After that I went to a DRZ400 (meh) and then a long line of YZ's starting with an '01 426 and then two different 450's. Throw a Husky 610SM in the middle of that mix and thats been the story of thumpers from my most recent past. Also pictured below is the '05 XR650L I'm going to look at early next week. If I get it I'll post up and probably have a couple questions. The basic "uncorking" mods have been done to it but I'm sure there'll be some things to improve on or at least tweak to my liking. Looking forward to our future together. Cheers, WMD

My old '87

My more than likely next XR
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:56 PM   #51888
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,829
Weapons of Mass Destruction

Bring it!

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #51889
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Lower right hand corner, you chose number of links. Would go with 120 & cut to fit if you have a chain breaker, if not the 110 should work with wheel forward but not totally sure on that?
Doh! I should have seen that, my attention to detail goes into fail mode when I've been drinking....

Thanks for all the inputs guys! I really appreciate it, when I was going the other way on gears (high top end) I got a 40tooth rear and not only was it too much for the bike- it wasn't cheap!

I like the idea of being able to use all my gears and stay reasonably close to the speed limit... but I didn't want to make 1st useless either. I like the 14/48 combo, I know it's gonna be a big change from 15/45 or the 15/42 I was running. I'll definitely get the longer chain and some extra master links for if/when stuff goes south.

Thanks again for all of your inputs guys! This place is great!

Now just to get the bike legal....

-Barron
Old 01-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #51890
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Make sure to get master links of the same brand.Sometimes different brands dont fit together.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #51891
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Make sure to get master links of the same brand.Sometimes different brands dont fit together.
Yeah, I always do. The spares I have now are for my sidewinder chain which are WAY too big for other chains.

-Barron
Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #51892
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Hey all,
New to ADV and It is quite possible there'll be a Honda XR in my immediate future. I have been dualsportin' harescramblin' and supermoto-ing for years and after a brief hiatus from motorcycling (as I rediscovered my mtnbiking roots) I'm thinking of another go at it and returning to the world of XR's. I had an old '87 XL600r (pictured below) which only wet my whistle for big bore 4strokin'. After that I went to a DRZ400 (meh) and then a long line of YZ's starting with an '01 426 and then two different 450's. Throw a Husky 610SM in the middle of that mix and thats been the story of thumpers from my most recent past. Also pictured below is the '05 XR650L I'm going to look at early next week. If I get it I'll post up and probably have a couple questions. The basic "uncorking" mods have been done to it but I'm sure there'll be some things to improve on or at least tweak to my liking. Looking forward to our future together. Cheers, WMD

My old '87

My more than likely next XR
That 05 looks to be already pretty well modded......I've done the same basic things to my 04, except I'm running the FMF powerbomb header instead of the Hi-Flow on that bike. I haven't got to ride mine yet since adding the powerbomb and cut air box.....but I have ridden a couple of the other machines you've owned to compare. The xr650L when modded is a great bike, lots of low end, and a very tractable power delivery all the way through the rpm's. But its not going to have near the outright power of some of the other machines you've owned. You might want to take a test ride and decide if its going to have enough power to keep you happy after the yz's and husky 610.

I love mine, but with my kind of riding I don't need big peak hp, low rpm and mid-range torque is what I use. For the street I have modded up/turbo'd big cc sportbikes to cure my acceleration needs

If you do pick it up tho, this is an awesome site for xrl owners, anything you will ever need to know about the xrl can be answered by someone here, or already has. And we have an engine Wizard available that can turn your mild xrl into a fire-breathing monster if you want
Old 01-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #51893
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Buy long, trim to size.
and keep the change in the toolkit with an extra master. I've heard.
I used to say "one day" a lot. But then I got scared I would wait one day too long. So I am doing it all now
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #51894
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
and keep the change in the toolkit with an extra master. I've heard.
Yeah man, doing that saved my bacon once when a rock or some other debris made my chain break on the highway. Of course it was dark too so not losing the o-rings for the clips was LOTS of fun. I always keep the chain breaker and the thing to press the links together in my tool bag.

-Barron
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #51895
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post

I like the idea of being able to use all my gears and stay reasonably close to the speed limit... but I didn't want to make 1st useless either. I like the 14/48 combo, I know it's gonna be a big change from 15/45 or the 15/42 I was running.

-Barron
I recently went from 15/45 to 15/48, and honestly I didn't notice as much of a difference as I thought there would be. I can feel that it pulls a little better, but cruising speed/rpm didn't really change very much.

I might try out a 14 front this summer when I hit the trails.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #51896
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
The basic "uncorking" mods have been done
Welcome to ADV and the XRL thread!

It never hurts to pop the carb off to make 100% sure the mods were done correctly/completely. My first "L" was spot on. The second had some off the wall jet sizes installed, the slide had not been drilled and the air box still had the snorkel on it.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #51897
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 356
got to get out and ride a little today

2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #51898
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Did the Kane Creek Trail in Moab 2 years ago on my 70th BD with 14/45 gearing.
Nicely done! I have heard that's a great trail- kinda gnarly with some big exposure, right? Or is that Amasa Back? Haven't ridden it myself, but I would like to.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:55 PM   #51899
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
I recently went from 15/45 to 15/48, and honestly I didn't notice as much of a difference as I thought there would be. I can feel that it pulls a little better, but cruising speed/rpm didn't really change very much.

I might try out a 14 front this summer when I hit the trails.
Did you do anything else to the bike when you switched the gears? When I went to the 42 from 45 I could feel a lot of the torque (at least the feel I understand that nothing changed with the engine) had been robbed for the sacrifice of a better top end. After I put in the NX 5th, I went back to 15/45 and really enjoyed having the grunt back in the lower gears with the longer legs of the 5th. I will say that 3 teeth isn't a crazy change, but if you couple it with dropping a tooth in the front it's like adding 6 in the back which should be very noticeable. I'm looking forward to it and will report back

-Barron
Old 01-18-2013, 08:03 PM   #51900
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
got to get out and ride a little today
Those are some cool trails... nice wheelies too.