Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #51961
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Can you explain, bwalsh, the "drilling" yer refering to on the carb slide?
I'm not familiar with that mod.
It's part of "Daves Mods"...

From here...

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

The reason I said to check is some folks buy the Dyna jet kit and just replace jets, sometimes the wrong size jets, and don't do anything else. You know the old saying, "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself". It applies here too.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #51962
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Thanks guys. I ride in sub freezing temps all winter so an AGM its gonna be
Don't forget the battery tender....very easy to install the pigtails at the same time as the battery. Keep it plugged in when not riding and you'll prolly sell the bike before you need another battery
Plus the pigtails can also run other accessories....like a tiny 12 volt tire pump like the one that came in my slime kit I have tenders and pigtails on all my bikes, and carry the slime kit in my backpack with tire plugs and slime for both tube and tubeless tire repairs
You can also plug cigarette style outlets into them for charging/running devices like gps, phones etc. The Schumacher style tenders come with a nice thick gauge wire too
Old 01-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #51963
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
It's pronounced frah-ken-SCHTEEN
Igor: Dr. Frankenstein...
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: "Fronkensteen."
Igor: You're putting me on.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No, it's pronounced "Fronkensteen."
Igor: Do you also say "Froaderick"?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: No... "Frederick."
Igor: Well, why isn't it "Froaderick Fronkensteen"?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: It isn't; it's "Frederick Fronkensteen."
Igor: I see.
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You must be Igor.
[He pronounces it ee-gor]
Igor: No, it's pronounced "eye-gor."
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: But they told me it was "ee-gor."
Igor: Well, they were wrong then, weren't they?

on a different note, I put on my Stealth fuel mixture screw on my FCR today...a word of advice don't think your going to save any time by trying to put it on without pulling the seat,side covers,tank,carb...DAMHIK
KyoXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #51964
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Spud,

Do you have good pics of your chain roller install handy? The big one behind the CS. I have the 600R roller you told me about but I'm not sure how it would mount up. It almost seems too wide and I Don't see anything on the back side of the stock slipper to put the bolt through...
I guess what I'm asking is... is there anything that the bolt goes through on the inside edge, or is the roller just "perched" on the bolt?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #51965
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,687
Quote:
Spud,

Do you have good pics of your chain roller install handy? The big one behind the CS. I have the 600R roller you told me about but I'm not sure how it would mount up. It almost seems too wide and I Don't see anything on the back side of the stock slipper to put the bolt through...
Quote:
I guess what I'm asking is... is there anything that the bolt goes through on the inside edge, or is the roller just "perched" on the bolt?
I decided to employ a large chain roller to replace the chain slipper. Most large chain rollers should work, so I looked for the best bargain, and decided to buy a Primary Drive, lower chain roller designed for the 2000, Honda XR600R. This chain roller is 38 mm in diameter.

After removing the stock chain slipper, I found it easiest to remove the left foot peg before I drilled the mounting hole to enlarge it to 5/16-inch. I also discovered I had much more room to install the front chain roller after I removed both the sprocket cover, and the shift lever.

I placed a -inch washer on the supplied bolt, and shoved the bolt through the chain roller from the engine side of the frame. I then added 4, -inch washers to space the roller evenly under the chain. Adding another -inch washer on the outside of the frame, I attached the supplied, nyloc nut.

After I switched to the wider, XR650R C/S sprocket, I removed one of the washers between the frame tab and the chain roller; I now have 3 washers in that position.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:47 AM   #51966
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
It's part of "Daves Mods"...

From here...

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

The reason I said to check is some folks buy the Dyna jet kit and just replace jets, sometimes the wrong size jets, and don't do anything else. You know the old saying, "if you want something done right, you have to do it yourself". It applies here too.
I'll check but not sure how necessary that will be, he says he upgraded to a 41mm pumper carb.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:03 AM   #51967
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
I'll check but not sure how necessary that will be, he says he upgraded to a 41mm pumper carb.
Time for pictures bro, time for pictures.

-Barron
Old 01-20-2013, 02:26 AM   #51968
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
Time for pictures bro, time for pictures.

-Barron
Still isn't mine but here are pics from his ad.

The only thing cosmetic I don't care for is the tail light, I plan to swap it for an LED light strip under the fender lip. Otherwise from the pics it looks great, love the MX rear fender. I plan to go look at it in person this tuesday and may well be bringing it home.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:42 AM   #51969
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:

The only thing cosmetic I don't care for is the tail light, I plan to swap it for an LED light strip under the fender lip. Otherwise from the pics it looks great, love the MX rear fender. I plan to go look at it in person this tuesday and may well be bringing it home.
Make sure and ask him for the OEM stuff. You might not like that stuff now, but replacing it is expensive! You should look at the for legs too since he took the fork protectors off... There is a lot done to that bike and I don't know if you plan on getting it street legal but if you do you'll have to do something about the tail light and maybe the turn signals. Just ask him for the OEM stuff, like the forkboots, the dash, the muffler and header, the rear fender the turn signals and tail light/plate holder, mirrors...

I'd ask him about maintenance(mainly how often he changes the oil and ask him to show you the bolts to drain it, if he doesn't know that is a bad sign) and any internal engine mods. If you hear the words "hot cam" proceed with caution! If you plan on putting turn signals and a tail light on there you might want to look at what he did with the wiring...

-Barron
Old 01-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #51970
mhking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
cush drive

Hey everyone so Im trying to get a cush drive for my xr and was wondering if anyone has done this? does anyone know if a dr60 wheel will match up or would it be to wide?
Old 01-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #51971
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Excellent! Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 AM   #51972
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:

Oh, I was assuming it was the stock carb. Don't know nothin bout no pumper carbs.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #51973
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
There is a lot done to that bike and I don't know if you plan on getting it street legal but if you do you'll have to do something about the tail light and maybe the turn signals.

-Barron
Here in NC blinkers aren't required. That tail/brake light is actually DOT approved, I have the same one on my SV650. I think the only possible issue with that bike might be the headlight. Fortunately the inspectors around here don't check headlights closely. I've rarely had a DOT headlight on a bike in years. They've always "passed" inspection.

If you look closely there is a lic. plate hanger on the tail edge of the fender. WMD doesn't know it yet, but we'll be trading bikes when we hit the trail.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #51974
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,400
Quote:

Some funky shit goin on with the muffler... my Q4 does not have a row of holes around the tail pipe. Looks like some backyard engineering perhaps. Bike looks very modded. Could be a great find or a complete disaster depending on how ham fisted the owner is.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #51975
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Did the Kane Creek Trail in Moab 2 years ago on my 70th BDay...
O.M.G. how inspirational your blessing! Oh that I should see such days...
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote