Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 06:40 AM   #52111
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
It's possible. The last time I experienced this I did bump up the main a size or two. If it's running rich wouldn't there be some black soot buildup at the exhaust tip? There isn't. It's as clean as could be. I haven't checked the plug for a while. With the Acerbis 5.8 and the Sutton oil cooler lines, it makes the plug a lot harder to get to.

Will do. It will give me a chance to check the jet sizes. I need to start writing these things down.

Thanks!
I just reread this...

so the pinging happened once already at which time you upped the main(have you done dave mods, or no) if so that means that you have responded to a symptom by compensating 3 times with a richer main

thats MASSIVE...

not all exhaist show soot...supertraps are famous for getting sooty...my powercore 4 has SOME soot, etc...

some blow fumes clean out and dont show much...

its kind of hard to know if you are rich or lean just by looking at the exhaust...it can help for sure, but seat o pants and a dyno are about the only ways unless you have an af meter hooked up all the time to know if you are good on all circuits...

anywhoo

good luck

I would get a helper after you check for air leaks and all and try to do the misting water intake trick...you need a steady control of the throttle to avoid hydro lock...a helper is paramount while you mist the intake...
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:42 AM   #52112
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Geez, I'da thunk guys mean enough to ride an XR650L would shoot a real rifle, like my Uberti Remington Rolling Block in 45-70. How about a 500 grain bullet??
Damm, that gun will hit a silhouette on the other side of your state won't it?
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:47 AM   #52113
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
One other thing I've been meaning to ask. With stock suspension, what are good settings to run on the forks (bottom of tube) and the adjustables on the rear shock? I'm 145 pounds, so probably 160 or so with gear on.

Right now the front is 2 clicks counter-clockwise from stop, the adjuster under the left side cover is 8 clicks counter-clockwise from stop, and I haven't messed with the adjuster on the bottom of the shock.

Just looking for good settings to start from. Commuting and moderate trail riding, but more concerned about suspension good for the trails.
See the owners manual. Thats a good starting point providing you are using the recomended wt. fork oil. A different wt. oil changes the settings.
The forks are both set at 3.
The rear shock gets 7 and 10.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 AM   #52114
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,353
Oil & Filler

Hey Sub Zero,

The HP4 is just for illustrative purposes. Actually I use GN4 in the XR. That was from my CRF where I use the "With Moly" (silver bottle) for the engine, and the "Without Moly" (gold bottle) for the transmission. As for the filler, I have the same Trans Filler funnel you show, but found the portability and tidiness of the little Horrid Freight interesting.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #52115
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
That's pretty cool, I was just at horrid freight getting a transmission jack and would have snagged that if I'd seen it.

Now if it had a trigger and a shutoff right at the tip so I could stop overfilling the reservoir, I'd pay 10 bucks for it.

These thread on to your oil jug, only a few dollars, and made in the USA. I bought three when I ran across them.

http://www.starbrite.com/productdeta...&ProductSSCat=

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 AM   #52116
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
See the owners manual. Thats a good starting point providing you are using the recomended wt. fork oil. A different wt. oil changes the settings.
The forks are both set at 3.
The rear shock gets 7 and 10.
From being fully turned in Fritz?????????

I find my bike hits every bump/rock hard........really jolts you......with fresh oil at spec height.....

Then again.i wonder if it`s the cheap crap Kenda 270 front...i don`t think i felt this with the MT21 front or D606.......

Love to have my suspension set up properly,,,engines i know.suspension,,,,,,not one helluvalot..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #52117
F250Pal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
I'm sorry to admit to everyone (on this thread only) that Ive joined the Yamaha 2 stroke club and picked up a WR250-Z. plan is after im cleared by docs to drive again whenever that is, im gonna get a street title for it like i did with a 1984 IT490 in the past (bike before my XR650L). I'll still be an RFVC guy at heart, but this should get me by and to work and back once im cleared, and until i save up enough for another XR.

bone stock, my old man who weighs 220 lbs took it up and down the street, wheelied it by accident in 3ed gear! will be a blast once im able to ride it!

it aint much to look at now, but my inspiration bike is this one here. wanna have it styled similar and looking just as nice. I know these bikes have nothing to do with XRs but mostly posting to say ive picked up a new ride and am slowly but surely recovering and can be riding anytime from a week from now or even maybe several more months. depending on what the docs say.

http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/3557496520.html
F250Pal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #52118
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post

These thread on to your oil jug, only a few dollars, and made in the USA. I bought three when I ran across them.

http://www.starbrite.com/productdeta...&ProductSSCat=
The shutoff is way too far away from the end, too much oil will still come out after you go "Oh shit..."
Old 01-22-2013, 09:44 AM   #52119
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Do they come with leads that I'd be able to leave hooked up to the bike all the time? I don't want to have to take the side panel and battery cover off every day...
Here's an inexpensive, low-tech setup.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #52120
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Hey guys,

You know those times when an extra inch would come in handy? Or when you're having difficulty finding the hole and before you know it you've made a mess out of everything?

OK, well maybe not, but I was at Harbor Freight today and stumbled upon these little goodies. ...

Good one, Rob!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:49 AM   #52121
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Geez, I'da thunk guys mean enough to ride an XR650L would shoot a real rifle, like my Uberti Remington Rolling Block in 45-70. How about a 500 grain bullet??
That is a beautiful specimen. http://www.uberti.com/video/index.ph...81807df37375bf
Old 01-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #52122
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... more concerned about suspension good for the trails.
The biggest thing is the spring tension on the rear shock. It should be set so that when you are on the bike it rests at just under four inches or say 10cm. below fully extended. You can find several examples online of procedures for setting the 'static sag'.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #52123
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Most any bike shop will have a bunch the battery tender leads on the parts counter, especially this time of year.

Sounds like carbon build up to me too. How many miles on the engine?
First thing I'd do is add some Sea Foam and go out and ride it. One tank may clear it up...maybe two.
I was having he same issue with mine last summer and the Sea Foam cleared it up quickly.
Just turned 10,000 miles. The weather here has been very nice lately so no problem to get out and ride and run some Sea Foam through it.

Thanks!
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #52124
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
thats my thoughts too...and I second the seafoam to see if it does something...

you can also try the water misting trick but you need a helper for this

ive done it on my boat engines a few times now and it works...

smokes white clouds like hell for a while but in that cloud is all that buildup of carbon bits...

upping the main a size or 2 IS A LOT in my book. Ive learned my lessons on jetting now...one if which is avoid the common mistake of overjetting...too big!
What's the water misting trick?
I will try the sea foam, and I will take a look at the jets. I have to take the tank off anyway to fix a broken mount as well as check the intake boot for cracks.

Thanks!
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 AM   #52125
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
HAHAHA! If I had an extra set of blues trousers I could make that happen! Still have all my uniforms, and even some shirt stays! Don't temp me. You'd all go blind, or wish you were blind!
Comfort trumps style