Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #52126
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
Geez, I'da thunk guys mean enough to ride an XR650L would shoot a real rifle, like my Uberti Remington Rolling Block in 45-70. How about a 500 grain bullet??

Or roll a bowling ball...

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #52127
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
thats my thoughts too...and I second the seafoam to see if it does something...

you can also try the water misting trick but you need a helper for this

ive done it on my boat engines a few times now and it works...

smokes white clouds like hell for a while but in that cloud is all that buildup of carbon bits...

upping the main a size or 2 IS A LOT in my book. Ive learned my lessons on jetting now...one if which is avoid the common mistake of overjetting...too big!
I've never done that but helped an old friend do this to his 67 impala once. 6oz coke bottle filled with water, slowly(faster than a drip) pours the water into the carb while revving the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
What's the water misting trick?
I will try the sea foam, and I will take a look at the jets. I have to take the tank off anyway to fix a broken mount as well as check the intake boot for cracks.

Thanks!
Yeah, start with the easiest and progress to the hardest things to check. I was going to say earlier, since you jumped up in jet size it is probably running way rich and leaving carbon on the head/valves.
Misting trick, get a spray bottle full of water and while one person operates the throttle, the other sprays water into the intake a little bit at a time, with the filter removed of course. If it starts to bog down(when in doubt ) gas it!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #52128
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
You know those times when an extra inch would come in handy? Or when you're having difficulty finding the hole and before you know it you've made a mess out of everything?
Rob tossed that soft-ball right over the plate and no-one commented!?

Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #52129
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
The biggest thing is the spring tension on the rear shock. It should be set so that when you are on the bike it rests at just under four inches or say 10cm. below fully extended. You can find several examples online of procedures for setting the 'static sag'.
Got that part done. Just getting the other settings fine tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipbl View Post
Here's an inexpensive, low-tech setup.
Thanks, the pictures help a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
See the owners manual. Thats a good starting point providing you are using the recomended wt. fork oil. A different wt. oil changes the settings.
The forks are both set at 3.
The rear shock gets 7 and 10.
Thanks for the stock specs. Just trying to figure out if anyone had other settings they liked. I guess it would be different for everyone though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
Have you had your shock serviced? It needs to be done every so often. Nitrogen leaks out slowly over time and the factory suspension fluid needed changing 1 year after the bike was sold new. That will be the best suspension improvement you can make with stock components. Then your adjustments will really make more of a difference in the way the bike handles, especially off-road.
I just bought it in July and I haven't had anything serviced other than what I can do myself. Before summer I want to get the forks and shock serviced.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #52130
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Please allow me to introduce my new steed, the most awesome '05 XR Six-Fiddy L. I'm new here but not to big bore dirtbikes. I'm sure we will have a great future together as I drive you all nuts with XR specific modification questions, so I'll appologize in advance...sorry.
Now back to the woohoo's..........WooHoo!

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #52131
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post

Very nice sir.

Porsche Audi VW
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM   #52132
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,741
Quote:
Please allow me to introduce my new steed, the most awesome '05 XR Six-Fiddy L. I'm new here but not to big bore dirtbikes. I'm sure we will have a great future together as I drive you all nuts with XR specific modification questions, so I'll appologize in advance...sorry.
Now back to the woohoo's..........WooHoo!
Welcome. That's a nice bike.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #52133
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Spud
Indeed, Sir Spud. His is a very nice bike. I suspect that one modification he won't need is the Rear Sub-Frame Stiffener.

I can't wait for GoPro video of this monster in action.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:07 PM   #52134
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Got that part done. Just getting the other settings fine tuned.

Thanks, the pictures help a lot.

Thanks for the stock specs. Just trying to figure out if anyone had other settings they liked. I guess it would be different for everyone though.

I just bought it in July and I haven't had anything serviced other than what I can do myself. Before summer I want to get the forks and shock serviced.
One or two clicks either way is all anyone should need unless you change oil viscosity.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #52135
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Hey Sub Zero,

The HP4 is just for illustrative purposes. Actually I use GN4 in the XR. That was from my CRF where I use the "With Moly" (silver bottle) for the engine, and the "Without Moly" (gold bottle) for the transmission. As for the filler, I have the same Trans Filler funnel you show, but found the portability and tidiness of the little Horrid Freight interesting.

RZ Rob
That should be the other way around. Moly in the trans with the hard gears and not in the engine where the soft bearings are.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
Old 01-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #52136
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post

Very nice sir.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Spud
Thank you much.

Here's the sellers ad's discription, followed by what I plan to do.

Honda '05 XR650L. 41 mm pumper carb, FMF exhaust,oversize tank,seat concepts seat,shaori battery mod done to remove big box out side and back and locate it under the seat.Set up for 230 lb rider,Vapor speedometor and tach,completly steet legal and clear title,Oversize footpegs,almost new front tire. Some life left on rear tire. Header pipe,EE handguards,MX rear fender mod,RSW top triple clamp to raise bars some and a bunch more this and that.With the Carb and pipe this bike will go!!!!I'll consider shipping this bike if the buyer is willing to pay the ship bill.

My plans

Rewire a bunch of the dash. The OO (original owner) had all kinds of GPS gizmos with multiple ports everywhere, they're going away. Next a new low-rise bar and lower bar clamps, the cockpit is way too tight for me. Set sag and maybe respring the suspension for my weight. Then a new tail light, probably one of those LED strips, I had one on my Husky 610 and loved it. A new MX style front fender, he already did the rear, and the OEM type fork boots. I don't care for seal-savers, they usually do the opposite. Obviously its in need of a new back tire, and maybe a chain too. Besides that, I really like the mods the OO did and will leave it pretty much as is.

WMD screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 05:42 PM
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #52137
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
Welcome WMD,

What is your location and altitude? My sugg, get some fork boots and fork brace...luggage at will and ride! That bike is done well and will do well for you.

eee

PS: check the spokes.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #52138
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
From being fully turned in Fritz?????????

I find my bike hits every bump/rock hard........really jolts you......with fresh oil at spec height.....

Then again.i wonder if it`s the cheap crap Kenda 270 front...i don`t think i felt this with the MT21 front or D606.......

Love to have my suspension set up properly,,,engines i know.suspension,,,,,,not one helluvalot..

B
See the owners manual.

You have heard/read this from me before.
Suspension, The basics. The FRIOTZCOINC Way;
Set the springs first. When you sit down on the bike the front and rear springs ( suspension) should compress at the same rate ( the bike should stay level as the suspension compresses ). Adjust the rear spring till this happens.
You have rear spring adjustment devices. The fork springs can be adjusted by placing spacers between the spring and tube cap also with the air gap ( stiffer springs too $$ ). If you are close to average weight no spacers should be needed.
The air gap is the air space above the fork oil. A smaller air gap adds more progressive resistance to the springs as the fork compresses ( an air spring ). Again somewhere around stock should be a good starting place.
Now we want the suspension to roll over bumps while keeping the wheel in contact with the road. Compression damping keeps the wheel from going into orbit when a bump is encountered. Rebound damping keeps the compressed springs from breaking the sound barrier during extension. Too much compression damping will case a shock to the bike and rider because the suspension can not compress fast enough. Too much rebound damping will prevent the wheel from re-contacting the ground after a bump ( this means loss of traction ).
Set the springs and start with the stock damping settings. Tweek from there. The damping controlls are oil flow controls and a thicker oil will change the stock settings. Using too heavy of an oil will make the damping adjustment useless.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:36 PM   #52139
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
^^^what he said and including tire pressure and rear suspension lube?
Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 PM   #52140
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Just trying to figure out if anyone had other settings they liked. I guess it would be different for everyone though.
If you're at 140 lbs I'd say you have to go the opposite direction with the adjustments than the rest of us do.

Quote:
Please allow me to introduce my new steed, the most awesome '05 XR Six-Fiddy L.
Welcome WMD! Nice bike. You'll love it!

You do know that all new XRL thread posters are required to read all 3477 pages of the thread right? There WILL be a test.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote