Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #52141
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
Welcome WMD,

What is your location and altitude?
Pisgah Forest, NC 2500ft (dangerously close to B. Curvin)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Welcome WMD! Nice bike. You'll love it!

You do know that all new XRL thread posters are required to read all 3477 pages of the thread right? There WILL be a test.

My studying starts tonight!
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #52142
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
While you have the carb off get a Sharpie and write the jet sizes on the side of the bowl.
Now you tell me!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #52143
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Now you tell me!

Doesn't EVERYONE do this?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #52144
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Doesn't EVERYONE do this?
I used to just ride the darn things and pay somebody to wrench on it. So I am late to the wrenching game.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #52145
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,390
Catch up will ya.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #52146
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
See the owners manual.

You have heard/read this from me before.
Suspension, The basics. The FRIOTZCOINC Way;
Set the springs first. When you sit down on the bike the front and rear springs ( suspension) should compress at the same rate ( the bike should stay level as the suspension compresses ). Adjust the rear spring till this happens.
You have rear spring adjustment devices. The fork springs can be adjusted by placing spacers between the spring and tube cap also with the air gap ( stiffer springs too $$ ). If you are close to average weight no spacers should be needed.
The air gap is the air space above the fork oil. A smaller air gap adds more progressive resistance to the springs as the fork compresses ( an air spring ). Again somewhere around stock should be a good starting place.
Now we want the suspension to roll over bumps while keeping the wheel in contact with the road. Compression damping keeps the wheel from going into orbit when a bump is encountered. Rebound damping keeps the compressed springs from breaking the sound barrier during extension. Too much compression damping will case a shock to the bike and rider because the suspension can not compress fast enough. Too much rebound damping will prevent the wheel from re-contacting the ground after a bump ( this means loss of traction ).
Set the springs and start with the stock damping settings. Tweek from there. The damping controlls are oil flow controls and a thicker oil will change the stock settings. Using too heavy of an oil will make the damping adjustment useless.
I`ve used the manual settings for a few years,,i was happy......then i tried different tires.....i think my problem isn`t really the suspension though.......never had this feeling with a D606 front or MT21.....but i put on this cheapie Kenda 270 and no matter what i do it rides like shit...doesn`t seem to matter what air pressure i use..22 pounds it`s rough as hell......all the way down to 8 pounds then it folds over and beats the rim....so......i have to run decent air pressure or i`m going to screw up the front rim...

So i tried fork compression adjustment and can`t get happy...i gotta throw that tire out.....then start over/go back to my happy settings i guess...

I like the Kenda in dry summer on the rear,but that front has got to be the worst tire i`ve tried........

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #52147
Schultz!
Recovering Lurker

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Bah rolling blocks are so 1850s

here is a nice .308 battle proven rifle that is a bit more moddern

Old 01-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #52148
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Thank you much.

Here's the sellers ad's discription, followed by what I plan to do.

Honda '05 XR650L. 41 mm pumper carb, FMF exhaust,oversize tank,seat concepts seat,shaori battery mod done to remove big box out side and back and locate it under the seat.Set up for 230 lb rider,Vapor speedometor and tach,completly steet legal and clear title,Oversize footpegs,almost new front tire. Some life left on rear tire. Header pipe,EE handguards,MX rear fender mod,RSW top triple clamp to raise bars some and a bunch more this and that.With the Carb and pipe this bike will go!!!!I'll consider shipping this bike if the buyer is willing to pay the ship bill.

My plans

Rewire a bunch of the dash. The OO (original owner) had all kinds of GPS gizmos with multiple ports everywhere, they're going away. Next a new low-rise bar and lower bar clamps, the cockpit is way too tight for me. Set sag and maybe respring the suspension for my weight. Then a new tail light, probably one of those LED strips, I had one on my Husky 610 and loved it. A new MX style front fender, he already did the rear, and the OEM type fork boots. I don't care for seal-savers, they usually do the opposite. Obviously its in need of a new back tire, and maybe a chain too. Besides that, I really like the mods the OO did and will leave it pretty much as is.
Nice looking XR! But what's with the boobs behind the seat facing the rear?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:57 PM   #52149
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Thank you much.

Here's the sellers ad's discription, followed by what I plan to do.

Honda '05 XR650L. 41 mm pumper carb, FMF exhaust,oversize tank,seat concepts seat,shaori battery mod done to remove big box out side and back and locate it under the seat.Set up for 230 lb rider,Vapor speedometor and tach,completly steet legal and clear title,Oversize footpegs,almost new front tire. Some life left on rear tire. Header pipe,EE handguards,MX rear fender mod,RSW top triple clamp to raise bars some and a bunch more this and that.With the Carb and pipe this bike will go!!!!I'll consider shipping this bike if the buyer is willing to pay the ship bill.

My plans

Rewire a bunch of the dash. The OO (original owner) had all kinds of GPS gizmos with multiple ports everywhere, they're going away. Next a new low-rise bar and lower bar clamps, the cockpit is way too tight for me. Set sag and maybe respring the suspension for my weight. Then a new tail light, probably one of those LED strips, I had one on my Husky 610 and loved it. A new MX style front fender, he already did the rear, and the OEM type fork boots. I don't care for seal-savers, they usually do the opposite. Obviously its in need of a new back tire, and maybe a chain too. Besides that, I really like the mods the OO did and will leave it pretty much as is.
Be sure to check the countershaft splines for wear before you buy the bike.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #52150
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Thumb Preliminary results from cut airbox and powerbomb header

I haven't got to ride my bike yet because of ice/snow and bitter cold, but I did fire it up today for the first time with the cut airbox and powerbomb header added to it. I live at 5000ft up, and my bike now has Dave's mods done, drilled slide, Uni filter, desmogged, desnorkeled with top right section of airbox cut open, FMF powerbomb header and Big Gun silencer, and 58 pilot/155 main jets.

Before I added the powerbomb and cut the airbox, my bike ran flawlessly from idle up, with instant throttle response. The mixture screw was only 1/4 turn out tho, because the po did the jetting mods, and stuck in the 58 pilot which is way too big for my elevation.

After I fired it up today and warmed it up good, it revved up fine if I rolled the throttle on, but if I tried to snap it open from idle it would cough, then grab and rev, which it never did before. After adjusting the mixture screw 3 turns out, I completely cured the cough....now I can snap the throttle open again as fast as I want wide open with flawless, instant response. And the exhaust bark has really sharpened up, not any louder..just much sharper, you can definately hear the extra fuel and flow in the sound.....plus its revving up much quicker

Basically the cut airbox and powerbomb required 2 3/4 turns richer on the mixture screw to get the bike to run the same as before I added them.....which tells me the combo is letting the bike breathe WAY better....especially low down. It should REALLY have some low-end pull now
That 58 pilot that was WAY too big at my elevation, is now barely big enough.......thats a BIG diff in flow so far from just tuning/running it in the garage.

According to the jetting charts I've used my 155 main should be plenty rich enough for my elevation.....I'm hoping my needle will be fine as is also. The way its responded so far tho, who knows?

I can say that so far, a stock-engined xrl definately responds to more air flow from a cut airbox. I think the cut box and powerbomb are going to make a great power-producing combo........I can't wait to take it for a ride

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 03:28 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #52151
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Nice looking XR! But what's with the boobs behind the seat facing the rear?
Notice in my list of things to change....the tail light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Be sure to check the countershaft splines for wear before you buy the bike.

Spud
Did already and he was on it. When he bought the bike he switched to the XRR CS sproket and the splines were still good.
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #52152
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
thats my thoughts too...and I second the seafoam to see if it does something...

you can also try the water misting trick but you need a helper for this

ive done it on my boat engines a few times now and it works...

smokes white clouds like hell for a while but in that cloud is all that buildup of carbon bits...

upping the main a size or 2 IS A LOT in my book. Ive learned my lessons on jetting now...one if which is avoid the common mistake of overjetting...too big!
I agree.....most of us guys tend to overjet Isn't bigger always better?

Actually I learned to not overjet a few years ago myself. I was doing like most guys and going too big for a long time
Old 01-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #52153
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Damm, that gun will hit a silhouette on the other side of your state won't it?
I have an American Derringer that fires 45-70's in the top barrel, and 410/45 cal. in the bottom barrel. The barrels just long enough to fit the 45-70.....the whole gun EASILY hides in the palm of your hand.
In the paperwork they have a big disclaimer saying its the hardest recoiling handgun ever made, and to use extreme caution when firing it

I have yet to fire it, but all the local gun shops/shooting ranges say its a monster to fire, and will jack your hand up bigtime if you're not careful I do have some really cool 410 self defense rounds for it, as well as some 45 and stupid high grain 45-70 rounds I bought in a moment of testosterone-fueled insanity
Old 01-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #52154
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
...Did already and he was on it. When he bought the bike he switched to the XRR CS sproket and the splines were still good.
So he relocated a Shorai battery, and installed an XR650R C/S sprocket? Where did get ideas like that?!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 01-22-2013 at 09:25 PM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:57 PM   #52155
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,363
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote