Old 01-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #52186
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
Who the heck is Dave anyway???
http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=26466
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #52187
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Well, UP YOURS TOO!

Oh, nevermind. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecubed View Post
Who the heck is Dave anyway???
The guy above you....the one that doesn't want the credit for the legendary mods named after him
Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #52188
nic579
x

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Does anyone happen to have an extra un-drilled carb slide laying around?
You could always do the trick for making the holes smaller. Tap the holes to a nylon screw size insert screw trim off flush and drill correct size. Not easy if you are just wanting to do a back to back test.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-set-screws/=l5zb5z
nic579 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #52189
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
You could always do the trick for making the holes smaller. Tap the holes to a nylon screw size insert screw trim off flush and drill correct size. Not easy if you are just wanting to do a back to back test.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-set-screws/=l5zb5z
Hmm. I'll need to think about that. Just curious for when I tear down my carb again to try some different jets in it. It already had Dave's mod done to it when I bought the bike, but the jet sizes were weird so I tried something different.

I remember inspecting my slide and seeing that the holes were drilled out, but they weren't quite as big as the mod calls for, so I drilled them to Dave's mod spec. I'm just nervous now thinking that I could have grabbed the wrong bit. It's probably the size it should be, but there's that doubt in my mind now.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #52190
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Why do some people remove the oil separator when doing the de-somg and Dave's Mod.

4strokes no longer shows removing this as part of the recc smaug removal. It was mistakenly thought to be a charcoal cansiter, which only appears on california bikes.

I temporarily removed it because with it off I could rotate the carb and get the bowl off with the carb on the bike, and left it off because it didn't pee oil into the airbox.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #52191
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,308
Quote:
Hmm. I'll need to think about that. Just curious for when I tear down my carb again to try some different jets in it. It already had Dave's mod done to it when I bought the bike, but the jet sizes were weird so I tried something different.

I remember inspecting my slide and seeing that the holes were drilled out, but they weren't quite as big as the mod calls for, so I drilled them to Dave's mod spec. I'm just nervous now thinking that I could have grabbed the wrong bit. It's probably the size it should be, but there's that doubt in my mind now.

Epoxy glue can be used as well.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:20 PM   #52192
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600
Quote:
Why do some people remove the oil separator when doing the de-somg and Dave's Mod.

They don't know any better. I also, mistakenly removed the oil separator, but I re-installed it after I learned its true purpose. Mike Bratcher made an excellent video demonstrating how to remove the SMOG gear from the XR650L.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687908

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:22 PM   #52193
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
To each his own Will compare 200yd. groupings any day.
I have a friend whose new hobby is hitting an 18" plate at a mile with a .300 Win Mag. I think it's a 1/2 minute of angle.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:25 PM   #52194
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
My stock brakes are strong enough to bring the front wheel to a complete stop while the bike is still moving... What is that not "enough brake" for?

True...you could do that with most drum brakes if you squeezed enough. It's not about being able to lock brakes up but about keeping the brakes right at the threshold before lock-up with as little effort as possible. Modulation baby. My RM250 with an oversize Galfer set-up and a Galfer braided line is a true one finger set-up. I want to ride a bike with the Brembo mono-block calipers.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #52195
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I have an American Derringer that fires 45-70's in the top barrel, and 410/45 cal. in the bottom barrel. The barrels just long enough to fit the 45-70.....the whole gun EASILY hides in the palm of your hand.
In the paperwork they have a big disclaimer saying its the hardest recoiling handgun ever made, and to use extreme caution when firing it

I have yet to fire it, but all the local gun shops/shooting ranges say its a monster to fire, and will jack your hand up bigtime if you're not careful I do have some really cool 410 self defense rounds for it, as well as some 45 and stupid high grain 45-70 rounds I bought in a moment of testosterone-fueled insanity

That's insane, a .45-70 Derrriger? I though it was crazy in a heavy revolver. WOW.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #52196
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post

Welcome! Several nice things to mention in that first pic.. Good looking xrl in the foreground and nice 4x4 in the background(never seen a top like that.. Interesting?). I also notice the wncw 88.7 bumper sticker.. Great station that I listen to 90% of the time!

I'm sorda in your neck of the woods.. A little east. You've got a lot of good forest roads to explore in the Pisgah.. Have fun on the xrl!

absoluteclint screwed with this post 01-23-2013 at 04:55 PM
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #52197
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I have a friend whose new hobby is hitting an 18" plate at a mile with a .300 Win Mag. I think it's a 1/2 minute of angle.
Gotta love gravity
Old 01-23-2013, 04:57 PM   #52198
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
You'll want to re-jet at the same time that you de-smog and put the exhaust on or else you'll be VERY lean.

No, it is HOLES.

I stand corrected! Faulty memory, should have checked the picture. Thanks Brown Falcon.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:00 PM   #52199
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
They don't know any better. I also, mistakenly removed the oil separator, but I re-installed it after I learned its true purpose.
I put mine back on as well. In fact, the guy I got the block off kit from strongly suggested that I reinstall it. I never noticed too much blowback in the airbox, but it certainly can't hurt.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #52200
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Older poll, but open, Twisted Throttle looking for XRL info for subframe support

Just thought I'd share the link...its a Twisted Throttle poll finding out what aftermarket exhausts XRL owners are running, to try and design a better subframe support for our bikes. Here's the poll http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747108

Not sure if its still valid but saw it on TT and thought I'd share