300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #52502
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Yes, it's running now and no, it wasn't error in my testing. It was a sporadic spark problem that would clear up and work fine...sometimes within seconds of not working and vise verse.

[Referring to a couple of years of trying to solve the problem of keeping the bike running, all while declaring the kill switch "checks out good", then later that the switch wasn't "good" and inferring that only by taking it apart, cleaning it, and putting it back together and trying it could this new determined.]

[And this tidbit refers to keeping switch contacts functional by occasionally interrupting and restoring current to a load]

Got news for ya...that method didn't help one bit, was one of the very first things I tried(cleaning the switch and cycling the switch) and is now proven to not work all the time.
Well, I guess you finally got lucky then.
Congrats!

. I guess that's how luck works, though. Very unpredictable.

Troubleshooting is an exacting logical process that not only requires a working knowledge of the general subject area, associated tools included, but also a knowledge of how to identify and isolate component subsystems, understand how each contributes to the overall system and how it could be contributing to the problem, deduce what needs to be tested and how, vindicating each in a logical order, and correcting faults as discovered until all faults are eliminated.

It turns out, a"method" is only as good as the comprehension of the person attempting it. The misunderstanding comes from a non-technical person mistaking a suggestion of direction for a recipe or a prescription for a solution. If individual knowledge and thought processes were not required for the interpretation of methods, nor for troubleshooting in general, then a lot of technicians would need to find other careers. This is sometimes referred to as the 'art' of the science.

But luck keeps things more interesting, and requires a heck of a lot less brain-drain.

If anyone with sufficient comprehension is testing a system which is acting intermittently and wishes to verify power is reliably present at a particular point, then connecting a light at that point and watching it at the time of failure should help him determine if the problem is upstream or downstream of the point being monitored. If a kill switch on an xrl, for example, is in question, then a light on the power line to the CDI staying bright when the problem occurs would vindicate it. If the light falters with the problem then an intermittent connection is somewhere in the power getting to that point, so one would keep moving closer to the battery. Between the points of solid power and intermittent power lies the intermittent connection.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:05 AM   #52503
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
I have to remove the switch to disassemble it. Therefore, I can work on the switch inside my home; there's no need to freeze. Also, I believe in preventive maintenance. Therefore, I think it's probably a good idea to give this switch a thorough cleaning every other year or so.

Spud
That's logical, Spud. While you are at it, don't forget the starter button, ignition, turn signal, horn, clutch bypass, kickstand, and both brake light switches!
Every connector in the writing harness, too...

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-28-2013, 07:07 AM   #52504
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post

I want to see Thump N Red take him up into the Boise foothills.

I would want to follow so I could watch the show, but I'd have to stay in front to avoid the chainguns pointing out the back Can you imagine the roost with two tires?!
Let's see... video name... gotta be something Batman related. The Dark Knight... Help me out here!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 AM   #52505
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
+1
+2. It got just warm enough this weekend for the snow to start melting and the itch to start
Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM   #52506
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post

I want to see Thump N Red take him up into the Boise foothills.

I want ThumpnRed to take ME up into the Boise foothills!!

Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #52507
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post

... Walter
That looks like a beautiful vacation trip, Walter!

Man, you are loaded! Those panniers and rack look very well done. Is that the happy trail system? How reliable have they been?
I'm getting discouraged against hard luggage for this bike after reading Ulyses's thread about his rack breaking every few days while blasting through Central and South America. I'd like to know if there's anything that holds up.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #52508
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I want ThumpnRed to take ME up into the Boise foothills!!

Sounds a bit strange, but whatever
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #52509
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Sounds a bit strange, but whatever
I'm sure it does, to some but then some of us actually like to ride our bikes in the really knarly stuff. And Idaho... no way you could have missed the pictures. But then, you're in AZ - I'd like someone to take me through some stuff THERE as well!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #52510
chipbl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
That looks great! Similar mounting to what I did. What kind of rack is that? Looks huge! And much sturdier than mine.
https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail...1/Default.aspx
Old 01-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #52511
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Nice shots Walter, thanks for sharing!
Yes, thank you, Walter.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 AM   #52512
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,460
Quote:
I'm sure it does, to some but then some of us actually like to ride our bikes in the really knarly stuff. And Idaho... no way you could have missed the pictures. But then, you're in AZ - I'd like someone to take me through some stuff THERE as well!
You get here & I will wear you out with knarly. Welcome anytime.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #52513
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
You get here & I will wear you out with knarly. Welcome anytime.
That rocks, thanks! I really hope to get out there sometime. And likewise, welcome if you ever come out this way.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:21 AM   #52514
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Well since we're talking about old CB Hondas... I bought this Saturday. 74 CB450 bored .50 over and in a million pieces. WTF was I thinking!!

Never been started

Big box-o-parts

John
Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #52515
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Quote:
The mountains and the dez await.
You just have to get here