Old 01-28-2013, 12:31 PM   #52516
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post

Big box-o-parts

John
You are a brave man! A box of parts like that would scare me to death even if I was the one who tore it apart. Putting somebody else's puzzle together... ouch!

Hopefully the guy who gave/sold it to you isn't as ornery as I am... I would have tossed a couple of extra springs, bits and pieces in the box... just for fun!
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #52517
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
The mountains and the dez await.
You just have to get here
Much obliged! One day... One day!
And likewise should you work your way East.

Quote:
... I would have tossed a couple of extra springs, bits and pieces in the box... just for fun!

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #52518
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
I cant seem to buy a bike unless it comes at least partially in a box 2 exceptions being my tz250 which which I disassembled and rebuilt completely and my 2000 GSXR600 which I bought new.

I have an old Honda too its older than me, a CL160 "needs some drag bars" but I want to sell that once it warms up. Its a fun little bike but I need the space now that I have the XRL.

Quote:
Well since we're talking about old CB Hondas... I bought this Saturday. 74 CB450 bored .50 over and in a million pieces. WTF was I thinking!!

John

nic579 screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 01:21 PM
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #52519
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
I cant seem to buy a bike unless it comes at least partially in a box 2 exceptions being my tz250 which which I disassembled and rebuilt completely and my 2000 GSXR600 which I bought new.

I have an old Honda too its older than me, a CL160 "needs some drag bars" but I want to sell that once it warms up. Its a fun little bike but I need the space now that I have the XRL.

Very cool. This is the bike JN Roberts first raced in the desert Dist. 37. Pre Husky days.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #52520
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,838
ASSumptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Well, I guess you finally got lucky then.
Hey George...Take your self righteous crap elsewhere.

You didn't read, or comprehend, a word I said in the two previous posts. You're weren't here to see what was going on with my troubleshooting skills or bikes symptoms, or lack thereof, so you really have no clue as to WTF you're talking about.

EDIT: BTW, don't act surprised when you read this. It isn't the first or tenth time you've spewed this crap on ADV.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:51 PM   #52521
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:
Well since we're talking about old CB Hondas... I bought this Saturday. 74 CB450 bored .50 over and in a million pieces. WTF was I thinking!!

Never been started

Big box-o-parts

John
Used to race 450s in AHRMA and WERA....Had a Henning head/pistons....pretty fast for a 40 year old bike. If you have a stock head, the hot setup is to reverse the torsion bars....requires some work, but makes the valves slam shut quickly....the really hot setup is to convert to valve springs. Good luck in putting it back together.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:54 PM   #52522
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
You are a brave man! A box of parts like that would scare me to death even if I was the one who tore it apart. Putting somebody else's puzzle together... ouch!

Hopefully the guy who gave/sold it to you isn't as ornery as I am... I would have tossed a couple of extra springs, bits and pieces in the box... just for fun!
I love a good challenge! And I'm a cheap bastard. Spent Sunday afternoon just getting all that crap organized. My biggest fear is the electrical. Not my strong suit.

Quote:

That CL is pretty cool but one reason I wanted a 74 is the front disc brake. I'm hoping that this thing will be a peppy little machine and I want to be able to stop it :)

John
Old 01-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #52523
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 402
Quote:

You won't have any problem selling that bike....the 160s are a fairly new class in vintage racing, and becoming very popular. At Barbers last Oct., it was one of the largest classes to race, and they used a LeMans start, which made it even more fun to watch. That's a really nice looking 160!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #52524
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Where am I?

Hey is this the XR650L forum? I wasn't sure, because at first I thought it was the Gun-Owner's Forum, then maybe the Even Older Honda Technology Forum...OK, enough whining. Sorry guys.

Question, I'm trying to switch my XR back to stock and can't get the Screen out of the fuel tank to put back in the stocker. What I was wondering - from someone that knows for sure - can I get away with just the O-Ring seal, or does the Screen have some type of Seat for the O-Ring? I don't want to spend any more money on this bike, so that includes the $30 for the Screen.

HELP!!!

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #52525
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Question, I'm trying to switch my XR back to stock and can't get the Screen out of the fuel tank to put back in the stocker. What I was wondering - from someone that knows for sure - can I get away with just the O-Ring seal, or does the Screen have some type of Seat for the O-Ring? I don't want to spend any more money on this bike, so that includes the $30 for the Screen.

HELP!!!

RZ Rob
That screen is the de-facto fuel filter. Without it any crap in the tank can and most likely will find it's way to the carb. You can't get it out of the aftermarket tank? Even wiggling it around some? It may be stuck on the tank and need some gentle persuasion.
You could always put a fuel filter on it.
Just looked at Service Honda, that screen set is $27!!

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...04&fveh=132657

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #52526
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post

Indeed, it's called "pillow packing," which is the highest quality, longest lasting, silencer packing material. The long fibers in this packing are more resistant to getting broken down by exhaust gases, and being blown out the exhaust. The fibers are woven into a pillow to facilitate re-packing. Here's an instructional video showing how to repack a muffler using the Lexx MXe Premium Silencer Packing.

Spud
What about this type of packing?

Anyone know how to use this stuff??

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 PM   #52527
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
That screen is the de-facto fuel filter. Without it any crap in the tank can and most likely will find it's way to the carb. You can't get it out of the aftermarket tank? Even wiggling it around some? It may be stuck on the tank and need some gentle persuasion.
You could always put a fuel filter on it.
Just looked at Service Honda, that screen set is $27!!

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche...04&fveh=132657
Yeah, I know buying a new one is the "right" thing to do, but I don't want to spend another penny, and just want to put her back on line. I can always add a filter, but the bike will be gone 5 minutes after it's together and then it's up to the next owner.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #52528
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
That particular FMF muffler packing is loose, and not woven into a pillow like the Lexx muffler packing. Therefore, you must weave the loose packing around the silencer core while it is installed in the muffler body. As the video demonstrates, the Lexx MXe Premium Silencer Packing is much easier to install.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:56 PM   #52529
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

How I would do the repacking with this material is to pull the core out and clean it. Put the core back in almost all of the way but sticking out a bit. Then start stuffing the muffler and push the material into the muffler with a dowel or some-such until you can't get any more in. Push the core all of the way in and your done.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #52530
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Roughed in but plenty of work to go removing more aluminum from both the cush and wheel, I am now in need of a 520 sprocket + tires to complete the fitting which is dam tight. I must have removed 1" off the cush and .25" off the brake side of the wheel.

Anyone know what a good starting point for sprockets with 17" wheels is?

nic579 screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 03:33 PM
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote