Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #52531
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Hey George...Take your self righteous crap elsewhere.

You didn't read, or comprehend, a word I said in the two previous posts. You're weren't here to see what was going on with my troubleshooting skills or bikes symptoms, or lack thereof, so you really have no clue as to WTF you're talking about.

EDIT: BTW, don't act surprised when you read this. It isn't the first or tenth time you've spewed this crap on ADV.
Whoa, Bob! ME spewing crap???? Fascinating!

I was at the comptuer offering you suggestions online when you first had the problem. I wasn't at your place when you were working on it, that's true. I didn't need to be there in person in order to assess your familiarity with all that, it was evident in your communications. But when you were at your wits end, I offered to sort it out for you if you brought it by. I know it's a bit of a hike, but I was willing to invest that time in you if you were. What more can a fellow ADV'er do for a guy? You seem to have taken my offer as an insult to your abilities - I guess that was me spewing crap...

You're a proud man, Bob; I'm sorry you are offended at my help.

There's a lot of other guys who'll be glad to help you, though, since you haven't pissed in their beer yet.

Peace!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #52532
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,660
Put a 42 on my son's XRL when I did the 17" supermoto wheels.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #52533
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Put a 42 on my son's XRL when I did the 17" supermoto wheels.
Thanks Steve that sounds about right I think I had figured out 43 at one point.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #52534
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
Well since we're talking about old CB Hondas... I bought this Saturday. 74 CB450 bored .50 over and in a million pieces. WTF was I thinking!!

Never been started

Big box-o-parts

John
Looks like you'll be having some "fun" for a while. I tried that same trick with a Bultaco. After put together all the parts I got and found I only had about 3/4 of the bike. The cost of replacement parts prompted me to sell it and let someone else finish the project.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #52535
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,007
14/45 gearing. XRR CSS. MT-21 front, D606 rear 130/90-18. No exceptions.

Chane's brain was used in this build. My friend Chane has a big brain.[/QUOTE] How did you have the wheels and spokes done? My bike spent 10 years parked outside by the beach. That ate up the finish on the wheels and spokes.
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #52536
Redclayrider
Long time gone

Oddometer: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
Looks like you'll be having some "fun" for a while. I tried that same trick with a Bultaco. After put together all the parts I got and found I only had about 3/4 of the bike. The cost of replacement parts prompted me to sell it and let someone else finish the project.
Did you take it back a part for them?

Worse project, Honda CB 400 in box's. Turned out to be 3 different motorcycles, only 1 was a Honda.

Best project Honda CB 900 F. Bike was not disassembled. PO said it ran 5 years ago when parked. He could not get it running. Battery was dead. Bought it for $100.00, bought a battery on the way home, drained gas, put fresh gas in, installed battery, and it fired right up.
Redclayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #52537
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redclayrider View Post
Did you take it back a part for them? No.

Worse project, Honda CB 400 in box's. Turned out to be 3 different motorcycles, only 1 was a Honda.

Best project Honda CB 900 F. Bike was not disassembled. PO said it ran 5 years ago when parked. He could not get it running. Battery was dead. Bought it for $100.00, bought a battery on the way home, drained gas, put fresh gas in, installed battery, and it fired right up.
That last one is the kind of "project" I want to find for a street bike, something me and Mrs. Taco had take for afternoon spins around the Georgia countryside. I don't have the patience for a complete redo.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #52538
Drunk_Uncle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,143
Still trying to sell the XR. Forgot that you aren't supposed to buy the next bike till you sell one first. I can get it to NW area of United States. That is where the one I bought is. Would consider small truck trades that are reliable enough to get back up to Alaska.

Other than that I am very jeolous of all you over 32 degrees, clear street having mofrackies who are out riding right now.

Went to PT formation in -21 degrees. Luckily we conducted our exercise indoors today.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #52539
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
JWhittmore44, that is quite a useful setup... Thanks for the details. I would be concerned about mounting a socket open end up though. The rubber cap may not always be there nor in good repair...

bwalsh and ThumpinRed, very cool seeing the insides of those things. Thanks for those details also.

So far my method of cleaning the kill button is to cycle it a few times with the power on.
If you suspect it may not be passing power reliably, one way to check it is to keep the test light on the load side and watch if it stays on.
I use WD40 on all the switches on my bikes, over the years its been amazing what its fixed It'll get through cracks to anything, so no need to open switches up....and will bring a switch back to life overnight, after a good treatment, that you thought for sure would have to be replaced.
Plus it lubricates and displaces water If you're careful with a rag and spray gently with the tube on the can, it won't make a mess either. Way easier and cheaper than pulling switches apart or replacing
And if you use it regularly you'll most likely never have switch issues

I forgot to add I cycle the switch as I'm spraying....if the switch doesn't start working well within a couple minutes, I let it sit overnight and give it another treatment the next day. Quite often just sitting overnight, soaked with the WD40, will be enough for it to work fine the next day.

Sierra Thumper screwed with this post 01-28-2013 at 06:07 PM
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #52540
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Roughed in but plenty of work to go removing more aluminum from both the cush and wheel, I am now in need of a 520 sprocket + tires to complete the fitting which is dam tight. I must have removed 1" off the cush and .25" off the brake side of the wheel.

Anyone know what a good starting point for sprockets with 17" wheels is?

Im running 15/40 with a 160/60 rear tire and it will pull it to about 105.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #52541
Olderslowerguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
Roughed in but plenty of work to go removing more aluminum from both the cush and wheel, I am now in need of a 520 sprocket + tires to complete the fitting which is dam tight. I must have removed 1" off the cush and .25" off the brake side of the wheel.

Anyone know what a good starting point for sprockets with 17" wheels is?

Tight fit there...looks like the sprocket side will be fine, and the rotor side looks close...I run 16/42 on a narrower F1 rim, with a 150 Avon V2 tire....
Old 01-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #52542
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
How I would do the repacking with this material is to pull the core out and clean it. Put the core back in almost all of the way but sticking out a bit. Then start stuffing the muffler and push the material into the muffler with a dowel or some-such until you can't get any more in. Push the core all of the way in and your done.
Thanks for the validation, cause that's exactly how I did mine. Ebay big gun muffler on my 05 has a screen spark arrestor, much easier to deal with than the older one I have with the krizman.
Old 01-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #52543
F250Pal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
14/45 gearing. XRR CSS. MT-21 front, D606 rear 130/90-18. No exceptions.

Chane's brain was used in this build. My friend Chane has a big brain.
How did you have the wheels and spokes done? My bike spent 10 years parked outside by the beach. That ate up the finish on the wheels and spokes.[/QUOTE]

Removed wheel bearings and powder coated the entire wheel.
F250Pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:20 PM   #52544
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco250 View Post
That last one is the kind of "project" I want to find for a street bike, something me and Mrs. Taco had take for afternoon spins around the Georgia countryside. I don't have the patience for a complete redo.
I've prolly done all the project bikes I'm going to be doing. My last was my turbo zx14....WELL worth it , but I'm tired of working on bikes...I want to spend the rest of my life riding them
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #52545
nic579
x

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
Tight fit there...looks like the sprocket side will be fine, and the rotor side looks close...I run 16/42 on a narrower F1 rim, with a 150 Avon V2 tire....
Thanks for the Sprocket responses.

Good eye on the brake side it is looking tight, hopefully the information I have seen is correct and it will make it in there.
nic579 is offline   Reply With Quote