coffman300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 PM   #52562
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffman300 View Post
here is a full pic of the bike
Those powder coated wheels really compliment your bike.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #52563
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,947
[QUOTE=coffman300;20598685]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
What's the going rate to do both wheels in black?[/Q

i need to know if wheels are completely assembled or not .and in gloss ,semi gloss or flat black. mine and gary's are in semi gloss black.and i will ask my boss for the price and get back to you tomorrow.
Just the wheel with the baerings removed semi gloss black would be good. Thanks
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:49 AM   #52564
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk_Uncle View Post
WMD,

The double headlight is usually Buell Lightning headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Baja Designs is what you were referring to the lights. Or trailtech.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
I use pivotpegz. Lower, wider and pivoting for large feet. If you want old school double round, you can go with BAJA DESIGNS dual fuego.
Is there a headlight for XRs thread here to see more ideas?.

WMD screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 05:31 AM
WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:51 AM   #52565
WMD
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
My lights worked out pretty well. They are over twice as bright (maybe 4x as bright) as the dual 8" Baja Designs halogen race lights, and they don't usually blind oncoming traffic. The downside, you have to build them and they probably cost more. The upside, you can go fast at night.

I am currently refurbishing them because I didn't do a good enough job sealing them up and they got a bit of water inside, which jammed up a high-beam solenoid. They aren't that great in tight corners. I figure I will add a helmet light at some point to fill in the corners.

This is low-beam, looking up a hill:

Here's more info.

But if lack of DOT approval is ok for your use, these are very simple, pretty easy to install, are very durable and don't use much power:

They are also available in a 10-inch version. There is no dimming control yet, to my knowledge. I don't know if they can be safely dimmed either with your own controller. I have one of the 6-inch versions on my XR600R and it lights up the night very well for singletrack riding!!
Looks bright enuf but not exactly what I want.
Old 01-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #52566
dkyacht
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Hey guys, I just got a 96 xr650l from a buddy of mine. It needs some small upgrades and a little love but the engine is strong.

Dave
dkyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #52567
Haywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Hey XRL guys, got a couple questions now that I've had the maiden voyage on my new '05 6-fiddy.

Question #1, does anyone make lower pegs for the XR's? I remember FastBoy pegs were the answer for my YZ450, but the XR's have that asymetrical peg-hanger frame thing going on. I've got really long legs, see pic below, and need more room for stretch. Even a half inch would help.

Question #2. Whats the best twin round headlight source for the XR's. The headlight on mine is next to worthless at night and I always did like the double six inch round light baja look. Thanks much.

Hey, what's that other motorcycle (?) in your picture?
Haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 AM   #52568
WMD
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Hey, what's that other motorcycle (?) in your picture?
Girlfriends Moto-Mule trailer

Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 AM   #52569
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I use WD40 on all the switches on my bikes, over the years its been amazing what its fixed It'll get through cracks to anything, so no need to open switches up....and will bring a switch back to life overnight, after a good treatment, that you thought for sure would have to be replaced.
Plus it lubricates and displaces water If you're careful with a rag and spray gently with the tube on the can, it won't make a mess either. Way easier and cheaper than pulling switches apart or replacing
And if you use it regularly you'll most likely never have switch issues

I forgot to add I cycle the switch as I'm spraying....if the switch doesn't start working well within a couple minutes, I let it sit overnight and give it another treatment the next day. Quite often just sitting overnight, soaked with the WD40, will be enough for it to work fine the next day.
There are at least two kinds of people I can think of who will poo-poo this. Those who don't know any better but have heard something, and those who stand to profit from you not fixing something. Only won't work when something is snapped off inside or the contacts are badly burnt, but works 99% of the time. I do this for monthly maintenance. And don't forget to cycle in a few good shots of white lithium grease at least once a year, too.

I forgot to add that this has only worked well for me over the last 45 years. Who knows how much longer it will keep working once we are informed of the fallacy of this method!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #52570
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Excellent, Walter!
Looks like an superb fix and a grand setup. Thank you for detailing it. I'd say it's adequately tested.
Someone in the area put up for sale a happy trail setup complete with panniers and rack for $450. I drooled over that setup for days before conceding that I couldn't justify purchasing it for a trip that was far enough into the future that it was uncertain I'd even use this bike. Then a few weeks later, ShooterDave came by and would have taken that deal, but it was sold by then. Say "la vee"...
Your self-made rear rack is superior. Perhaps if I do arrange to set out on a Latin America trip, I'll consider fabricating a setup. I'd look at the TT setup you mention, and/or what's available at the time, but I now have reservations about using an xrl for that trip going two-up, anyway. For just me I think it would be a great choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
My side racks and boxes are Happy Trails. My side racks have been modified. I broke the right side rack twice and the left side once. This happened in the first 15 to 20,000 miles. Each time I broke it I took that side off and had one of the welders at work add a brace. After the third break I think I got the problem figured out and fixed. I'm adding a couple of pictures that hopefully show what I did.

Right side.

Left side.

HT's top rack is supported in the back by the bikes sub frame. The bikes sub frame is very weak where this attachment is made. I didn't like that system. Any other racks I saw available when I bought my bike, January of 2006, seemed to use the same system. So I made my own, again with the help of a coworker who welds. The back of my top rack is supported off of the back of the HT side racks. You can see part of those support tubes in the pictures above.

This is a picture of the rack off of my bike, just after it was powder coated.

This is a close up of it mounted on the bike.

Since adding the side rack braces, I have ridden someplace between 60 and 70,000 miles with no more problems.So I consider my racks to be fixed. The lower brace on each side seems to be the one that did the job.

If I was buying the HT racks new now, I would add those braces before I ever installed the racks on my bike. On the other hand Twisted throttle now has a set of racks for the XRL. From what little I can see in their pictures and video, my guess is they will need no modification to hold up to the job.

Walter
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #52571
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...does anyone make lower pegs for the XR's? ... I've got really long legs, ... and need more room for stretch. Even a half inch would help. ...
This is a tradeoff between knee-strain and catching rocks and stuff on the ground. We each have our needs, but after experiencing being slammed by rocks, I want my feet up high! It's easy to stand up and ride a spell for leg relief.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 AM   #52572
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250Pal View Post
My friend Chane is a powder coater and XRL owner. He does nice work.

Chane's wheel.
That is a thing of beauty, alright. I'd be afraid to go riding with it, though, after all that investment.
Look how immaculately clean that bike is!
Old 01-29-2013, 06:34 AM   #52573
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwombat View Post
... I used a normally closed momentary pushbutton for the kill button and a normally open momentary pushbutton for the starter, got them both from Digikey (HDB has the pushbuttons also but I don't think he has a normally closed one listed on his site). Luckily I have a long thumb for reaching those buttons. ...
It's a nice looking installation, but the whole idea got me thinking about... Who uses a kill switch, and in what way?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:44 AM   #52574
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
It's a nice looking installation, but the whole idea got me thinking about... Who uses a kill switch, and in what way?
I like to screw with a couple friends of mine and turn off thier kill switch when they aren't looking. They always fall for it...

The only other time I use it is on someones bike that just crashed.

This is why I have a momentary kill switch...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #52575
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Girlfriends Moto-Mule trailer

That is a killer trailer!
Would make for some very slow-going trail riding, for sure - even dangerous, for me. Cool for gentle riding though if/when having to tote big loads. That big shock means business!