User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #52831
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Top End Rattle at Temp

Help. So my XR I got cheap based on PO failing on valve adjustment causing me to change timing chain, tensioner and gears. Bike runs fine, but gets rattle after getting up to temp. Two thoughts are o-ring bleeding off pressure to head, or decompressor spring perhaps wrong. I did have to press this off and replace and spring seemed impotent. I'm fairly confident I got the valve adjust right and it is quiet at first. I didn't replace oring on side cover, but it seemed iffy. Any ideas?

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #52832
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
The beauty of the external tank system is that the oil level is essentially unimportant as long as the tank doesn't run dry or overflow - the engine will maintain lubrication. However, the advantage to having more oil in the reserviour is that it is more able to dissipate heat to the environment. Overfilling the reserviour will not cause damage to the engine's moving parts the way it can when the oil is contained in the crankcase. With all that in mind, I usually run a bit "over-full". But using the procedure in the manual will allow checking the reserviour level when the reserviour is as full as it gets.

The level you see rising as the engine runs is not a result of "expanding" oil, it is the result of the excess oil in the crankcase being pumped up into the reserviour. The amount that oil (or water) expands during temperature rise in liquid phase is extremely small - certainly not large enough to be visible on the dipstick in the reserviour.
If the level of the tank is unimportant , then why are there markings on the dipstick? Is the oil in the crankcase or pumped out of it , make up your mind. So why the level rise in you car or anything else when hot. I guess all of those owners manuals are misprinted that say to check while hot or have hot & cold levels , water or oil.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #52833
ltcole
Herpetologist

Oddometer: 85
Thumb Cheap lowering link

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic579 View Post
http://store01.prostores.com/servlet...-XR-650/Detail

Got a cheep lowering link for sale?

Sure, once I get that one put on. PM me. Thanks for the link! \
Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #52834
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcole View Post
I have this same issue, just a little tight on money right now and the stock link isn't exactly cheap.

Would you say that it's a hard task to pull the lowering link and drop in a stock link?

Thanks,
Stock link... eBay is your friend. I picked mine up for $20. That was for the dogbone and the rocker. Replacing the dogbone is actually quite easy.
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 PM   #52835
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
If the level of the tank is unimportant , then why are there markings on the dipstick? Is the oil in the crankcase or pumped out of it , make up your mind. So why the level rise in you car or anything else when hot. I guess all of those owners manuals are misprinted that say to check while hot or have hot & cold levels , water or oil.
Different manuals say different things for different reasons. Really, you're posing a weak counter-argument by failing to cite specifics. Sometimes, it's 'cool' for water for safety reasons. My Aprilia SXV had specifics that required you to check immediately after running to get the level while the oil was fully dispersed through the system.

RZ Rob
RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:46 PM   #52836
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Yes he is...

I always check mine a few minutes after shutdown and top off if needed. That way you're not freaking out when you see no oil on the stick(drained into crackcase over night) or adding oil that it doesn't need. You're also ready to go for the next ride instead of screwing with starting the engine, getting it up to temp, then checking.
As far as oil consumption, high speed interstate travel will make these bike use oil.
Mine consumes virtually no oil between changes... probably because it never sees the interstate. I can flog the crap out of it on a trail ride, come home, shut it off and throw it on the stand... take a few minutes getting my gear off... go back and check the level and it's right where it needs to be. Easy peasy (sorry for the plagiarism Steve)
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #52837
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Mine only used a little during break in and initially after a high comp. piston. Mine very rarely sees highway , but i do run the piss out of it at times.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #52838
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
...Could someone measure their stock kickstand for me? ...
Tengo 14.25" inner edge of tilted pad to bolt center.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #52839
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Paging Techforlife,mcma111, (or anyone else with Cycra Pro bends installed on their XRL),
I just picked up a set and was about to tear into it until I eyeballed the task at hand and it looks like there is over a 2" gap between the clamps on the bar and the Pro bends themselves, did you guys just flex the pro bends and connect them or did you end up getting extended clamps/making spacers ect...?
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #52840
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
... it looks like there is over a 2" gap between the clamps on the bar and the Pro bends themselves, did you guys just flex the pro bends and connect them or did you end up getting extended clamps/making spacers ect...?
I put a different brand handguard on my 250 (my xrl came to me with Acerbis) and I had a similar situation with it not meeting the clamp. FWIW, I oriented the clamps for best reach and bent the bars to fit my handlebar geometry. Let's see how those guys handled the Cycra.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #52841
ecubed
LFC Cat

Oddometer: 695
bend to fit. all of the busters need it....
Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #52842
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Can anyone that has an XRs only temp dipstick take a picture of it side by side with a stock dipstick?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

LTCOLE
Can't do a comparison but a measurement from the bottom of the plastic screw on cap to the "full" mark yields 3 3/32"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

Could someone measure their stock kickstand for me? Just the distance from the center of the pivot bolt to the end of the foot would be good.
stop on soft ground.

Thanks in advance!!
You mean like this? ground level to pivot bolt.

Looks like 14 15/16" for a stock side stand...

And just for the hell of it, a pic of the oil on the stick, cold(26) engine, sitting for three days...

bwalsh screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 01:55 PM
bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #52843
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Sure, once I get that one put on. PM me. Thanks for the link! \
That link(internet, not suspension ) doesn't work for me. I've been thinking about taking the 04 back to stock height. I'll try ThumpnRed's E-bay recommondation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Mine consumes virtually no oil between changes... probably because it never sees the interstate. I can flog the crap out of it on a trail ride, come home, shut it off and throw it on the stand... take a few minutes getting my gear off... go back and check the level and it's right where it needs to be. Easy peasy (sorry for the plagiarism Steve)
How many miles you got on your engine? Let me say, I've only had mine on Interstate for maybe 60 miles at a time for a few times. It used a little each time. It also uses oil when I'm getting on it on back roads. From about 30,000 miles untill now, 40,000 miles, it has used a little oil between changes no matter what I'm type of road/terrain I'm on or how I'm riding it.
It's funny though...if I don't keep it topped off or a little over full, it will use more and more oil the lower and lower it gets on the stick.
I can change oil, run it 500 miles and it will not use a drop. I can take it out the next day, ride 100-200 miles and it will be halfway or more down on the stick. I'll top it back off and go another 300-500 miles and it will not use a drop. Next trip it will be down halfway.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #52844
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Paging Techforlife,mcma111, (or anyone else with Cycra Pro bends installed on their XRL),
I just picked up a set and was about to tear into it until I eyeballed the task at hand and it looks like there is over a 2" gap between the clamps on the bar and the Pro bends themselves, did you guys just flex the pro bends and connect them or did you end up getting extended clamps/making spacers ect...?

Yes, they do take some persuading. Pictured is the end clamped in the vise. And when open the end of the throttle grip grind it out. DO NOT cut the end off as you will shorten the length of the tube/grip.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:36 PM   #52845
RideAbout
Mentally Retired

Oddometer: 1,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
And just for the hell of it, a pic of the oil on the stick, cold(26) engine, sitting for three days...

Uh oh! Haven't you been paying attention to the exciting dipstick banter?.... you may have ruined your motor by pulling the it with a cold motor!