Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #52951
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
....lets discuss magnets in the sump area,,how big to set off street lights at stop signs .... B
Oh, man, this winter once again your humor has me wantin to take a ride up there for a proper attitude adjustment eh... Now to plot out a nice dirt/gravel route with primitive camping opportunities
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #52952
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 334
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
Do you mean to say you cut the ball end off? Don't you know you will put your eye out doing that. The ball is there for a reason. Oh and for your information I use two fingers on the lever and maintiane a tight grip on the bars with the other two. This also keeps me from breaking as many of my nails in a spill, silly.
That and more, I cut them down to where they are just long enough for three fingers on the clutch and two on the brake. I don't need more then that to get the job done. I used to really push it in the corners in my young MX days and fell quite often. I painfully pinched my fingers between the levers and the grips enough that I had to do something. I saw some of the faster guys doing the same thing at the Nationals so I did it too. It works for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:12 AM   #52953
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Well,i can`t tell you how many times i`ve come to lights in my city at low traffic times to have the lights NEVER change.pisses me off......cops say i have to turn right then go down the street turn arround and come back..then take that right..........just to freekin get where i`m going

yeah..........right,,,,,,,,,i`ll do that officer,thanks

B
That used to be the case around here too.

In the news, I heard they were proposing, or passed (I forget which now) a bill to allow bikes to go when the way is clear, if the light cycles through and doesn't pick them up. Several years in the past I'd asked VDOT about the issue and their response was to go ahead once clear if it didn't pick me up, that explaining it to the officer was probably enough if stopped, but otherwise the judge would understand. I figured I'd get that in writing if it ever became a problem. But I'd just go and never spotted, I guess.

But it's not a problem anymore. What with going to cameras instead of inductive sensors, it's never failed to pick me up. And on the couple inductive loops left, they seem to work fine, either because they increased the sensitivity and/or I'm riding more steel now.

- I'll do that, officer! -

Quote:
In Texas there is an out in the laws for malfunctioning lights. You must wait through two cycles, indicate your intentions, and run the damm thing if safe to do so. Are we supposed to be talking about this, I mean it's NON XRL, and all?
Perhaps that's how the Virginia law is modeled. Sounds about right. This law applies to XRLs, so very on-topic!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)

ONandOFF screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 06:17 AM
Old 02-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #52954
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Totally anal air gage. Maybe it's because I have a BMW. OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All kidding aside, I have seen a marked improvement in tire life as a result of routine pressure checks and adjustments.
Well, it would be a little challenging to be consistent if you didn't know what the pressure really was each time you measured it, now wouldn't it?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 AM   #52955
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
I have a feeling 40 strokes or pumps is about yer limit Fritz without yer wife...

I don`t carry no freekin air pump.......

I carry beer,,,,cookies,1 chocolate bar......arsewipe (yup no using my sleeve) and a cuban cigar or 2.......sometimes i`ll go wild and just bring beer and the cigars.......i like to just wing it ya know......

B

You for got to say XRL!!!

- I'm having what ^he's^ having!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #52956
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walterxr650l View Post
Isn't it past time for someone to answer this question by pointing out that they use 78% nitrogen in their tires? Walter
Good catch, man!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 AM   #52957
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I used a milk crate for awhile until I walked out to the garage one morning and found my bike laying against the riding lawnmower. I had left the bike on it over night and the crate had buckled.
Since then I have used a solid concrete block with a couple 2x4's on top. Works great but is a heavy SOB to move around and I'm tired of having to stoop over or get on my knees to work on the lower part of the bike. The new lift will also double as a nice work bench for my business!
I'm not a Harbor Freight(HF) fan AT ALL but I have seen enough good reviews, on here from folks I know, and HF's website to take a chance. As you can see I also got the better wheel chock instead of the POS that comes with it.

OK, back to drinkin!

Good point about HF, and I agree with you by and large, but sometimes your own Harbor Freight engineered/scrounged stuff suck even worse I have a Craftsman lift, but I have since seen the HF one and they are identical except for color as fas as I can tell.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #52958
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Sounds like a riddle.
Does it work at any pressure?
I bought it for my new RM250. It's sits in the same garage that my XR650L sits in.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #52959
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm 6"3'....my bike came with a Kouba lowering link, the front forks were revalved/resprung and internally lowered to match the rear. The suspension is awesome, except for the fact that the lowering link didn't really lower squat. I still have the stock kickstand, the bike sits fine on it...and I can flatfoot sitting on the bike, but not by much, and I have long legs.

Honestly if I couldn't physically see the lowering link on the bike I wouldn't believe it was lowered at all. The original owner spent alot of time and money for very little lowering imo. Personally I wouldn't bother if you're not going to get a truly meaningful amount of lowering. I still wish it was a little lower yet

Maybe the Kouba links don't lower as much as others? Or maybe a stock xrl is so high that even a 6"3' guy with long legs couldn't flatfoot a stocker

I was at the dealer looking at a new xrl the other day while picking up some parts, I'm going to head back and sit on it to see how high it is compared to mine....kinda curious now

In design, the L is a dirt bike with street running gears. Unless you are a very large man, flat footing dirt bikes isn't possible, and for the most part not at all necessary. I can't flat foot anything with more than 80cc displacement and I ride the L just fine. I'm 5'8" 175lbs. I have a Renazco Seat that might lower 1" and that's it. Flat footing is for cruisers.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #52960
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Do you mean to say you cut the ball end off? Don't you know you will put your eye out doing that. The ball is there for a reason. Oh and for your information I use two fingers on the lever and maintiane a tight grip on the bars with the other two. This also keeps me from breaking as many of my nails in a spill on the XRL, silly.
Fixed
Old 02-02-2013, 07:15 AM   #52961
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
A tip of the hat to all the Idahoans on this forum. I just received a Pro Moto Billet, made in Idaho, kickstand in the mail...what a work of art. Truly beautiful. And by the way, it doesn't fit my XR650L with atmospheric pressurized tires.
That's a good sign
Old 02-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #52962
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Dont forget about the gubmint database... they know where you are!

No hiding here. Not even in Wyoming anymore. Better straighten up and fly level on that xrl, Red!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #52963
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Oh, man, this winter once again your humor has me wantin to take a ride up there for a proper attitude adjustment eh... Now to plot out a nice dirt/gravel route with primitive camping opportunities
Wellllllll..come up for petes sake........geeeeezzzzzzzzzzz Dave stayed here for a total of a month and he was catered to...swimming,cake,beer,salmon.......steak.. ...i think he did well

Now if he`d just start drinkin.......that part sucked,us rebuilding his bike and me drinkin alone......

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer

techforlife screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 08:00 AM
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #52964
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,815
I cut half the ball off to fit in the Cycra's with Pro Taper CR high bars. Previously I had cut the whole ball off but I missed the feel of the ball at the end of the lever.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #52965
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
I shudder at the thought of interrupting a lively discussion about volcanic eruptions of oil, but may I ask about that thar ruler? I have never seen a ruler designed to separate inches into fourteen equal parts. What give?

PD
It's a typographical measurement used in the printing business. I just like the steel ruler :)

John