Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #52966
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Now that is some serious Tahuya mud fun. Good for you, Samurai.
This was at elbe last weekend. I started by climbing his front tire then drove backwards down the rock slider the the rear tire and off. Good times, ive been doing this most of the winter.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #52967
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
.... I paid 109 for mine many years ago from Costco....one of the handiest things in my garage. ...
I drooled over that guy on many Costco trips. Never could quite come to justify getting that over the many other things needed. I'm sure it a big help - would love to have one. I haven't seen them in Costco for years now but in reality one like Brian's or Spud's would do me just fine.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #52968
Ironman2001
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Here's what I thought of...Wanting the best of both worlds, I decided to get a set of stock rim sizes for my XR650L and have street rubber on them(maybe a 90% street, 10% dirt tire). Then leave a set of knobbies for the dirt on the original stock set. Having 2 complete set-ups on swappable rims, I can switch from street to dirt in about a half hour .
The picture is of my street rims I just got.

http://www.islandriders.ca/forum/att...0&d=1359772383

Ironman2001 screwed with this post 02-02-2013 at 10:09 AM
Ironman2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #52969
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,708
Quote:
Honestly if I couldn't physically see the lowering link on the bike I wouldn't believe it was lowered at all.
Huh, I see the exact opposite. My 04 came lowered. The 08 is stock and there IS a difference in height. Enough to where I really need to plan ahead where I stop and put my foot down.

Quote:
Those hydraulic atv/bike lifts are awesome as well, and can be had for around 60 bucks from Harbor frieght. I paid 109 for mine many years ago from Costco....one of the handiest things in my garage. It'll hold my bikes up forever with its locking set-up, and with a couple tie-downs attached you can wheel the bike around the garage while up in the air.
I was going to get one of those jacks for the longest time but never bit the bullet. I'm glad I waited as this is a real good deal for the price i got it for. Every now and then HF has them on sale for $349. You can also apply a 20% off coupon, if you have one, to the sale price...$279 + tax!
I signed up for their E-mail promotions, as per the advise from the "rate your HF tool experience" thread in "The Garage", and received the coupon via E-mail. From what I understand you can find them in the back of some motorcycle magazines too.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #52970
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
In the news, I heard they were proposing, or passed (I forget which now) a bill to allow bikes to go when the way is clear, if the light cycles through and doesn't pick them up.
Passed last year. Two cycles and go. Personally I use two seconds and go...if the coast is clear. There are a couple lights I go thru on a regular basis that don't recognize the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I have a Craftsman lift, but I have since seen the HF one and they are identical except for color as fas as I can tell.
They are probably made in the same factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Dave stayed here for a total of a month and he was catered to...swimming,cake,beer,salmon.......steak.. ...i think he did well
What? No Bacon?

Old 02-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #52971
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourjon View Post
It's a typographical measurement used in the printing business. I just like the steel ruler :)

John
Doh! I didn't pay too much attention to the lower part. Figured it was metric. Interesting!
Hows about 10ths of a foot...

Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #52972
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Quote:
I'm 6"3'....my bike came with a Kouba lowering link, the front forks were revalved/resprung and internally lowered to match the rear. The suspension is awesome, except for the fact that the lowering link didn't really lower squat. I still have the stock kickstand, the bike sits fine on it...and I can flatfoot sitting on the bike, but not by much, and I have long legs.
6'3" I would think you can flatfoot a XRL with no lowering link. If not then your legs may not be as long as you think. At 5' 10", on a good day, I can touch both feet. I weigh in at 175 and the sag is at 4".

What is your sag set at? Seriously 6'3" should be a great height for these bikes.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:49 AM   #52973
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Most of Idaho, outside Boise, falls into that category, Red!

P.S. Are you saying the black helicopters are not coming for us?! Oh...I forgot to say XR650L.

Spud
Laugh all you want but my friend and I rode from Bruneau along the river south to Indian Springs this past week,,,, black helicopters hovering the whole time,,,,, fighter jets buzzing every which way. I went home and started figuring my 2012 taxes immediately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #52974
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
Laugh all you want but my friend and I rode from Bruneau along the river south to Indian Springs this past week,,,, black helicopters hovering the whole time,,,,, fighter jets buzzing every which way. I went home and started figuring my 2012 taxes immediately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Trust me, I'm not laughing.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #52975
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
I wanted to give some feedback on my results so far .... The hole I added REALLY helped the airflow tho, and definately helped the low end response, ...
Cutting that out may well help the airflow, I don't know, but to help the low end (rpm) response? Sounds like the 'Twilight Zone' effect. I'm don't doubt you can hear the intake pulses better. The engine doesn't pump a lot of air at low rpm, even at full throttle. Any real difference in power output would be a result of less pressure drop to the carb inlet at higher rpm, under full load and full throttle, when the engine's pumping a large volume of air. I suspect what you're feeling in the low end is most likely a result of your other mods alone - the header (maybe) and improving the mixture (for sure).
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-02-2013, 12:09 PM   #52976
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
... the lowering link didn't really lower squat. I still have the stock kickstand, the bike sits fine on it...and I can flatfoot sitting on the bike, but not by much, and I have long legs. Honestly if I couldn't physically see the lowering link on the bike I wouldn't believe it was lowered at all. The original owner spent alot of time and money for very little lowering imo. ...
I was under the impression they claimed a couple inches. Anyway...

The ride height (rear) is set by the big ring on the shock spring (with any link). A lowering link shortens the travel of the rear suspension, preventing the wheel from dropping down as far as it does with the designed link. The ride height (aka 'static sag') can be raised to original height afterward by tightening the rear spring. If yours is in that condition, you could regain some travel and get an even better ride by going to the original design link and loosening the rear spring for proper static sag (~4").
Old 02-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #52977
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,660
Quote:
...the lowering link didn't really lower squat. I still have the stock kickstand, the bike sits fine on it...and I can flatfoot sitting on the bike, but not by much, and I have long legs.

Honestly if I couldn't physically see the lowering link on the bike I wouldn't believe it was lowered at all...

Maybe the Kouba links don't lower as much as others? Or maybe a stock xrl is so high that even a 6"3' guy with long legs couldn't flatfoot a stocker ...
My Performance Design lowering link reduced the saddle height a lot. I have a 30-inch inseam, and after installing the lowering link, I can easily get both feet flat on the ground. Did you adjust the race sag?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #52978
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
Wellllllll..come up for petes sake........geeeeezzzzzzzzzzz Dave stayed here for a total of a month and he was catered to...swimming,cake,beer,salmon.......steak.. ...i think he did well

Now if he`d just start drinkin.......that part sucked,us rebuilding his bike and me drinkin alone......

B
Got some good dark beers up there? I'm drinking a coffee stout by Hardywood Park Brewery in Richmond my son brought; feels good

Dave was here between his two visits to you and spoke kindly of you and your wife. You were very generous to take care of him in his time of great need. My admiration really goes out to you for that!

If I don't get up there first, y'all come by here!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #52979
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post

Dave was here between his two visits to you and spoke kindly of you and your wife. You were very generous to take care of him in his time of great need.

Kinda hard to say no to Dave, what with those puppy dog eyes and all that whimpering going on.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #52980
americanthumper
n00b

Oddometer: 6
XR650L Centerstand

I'm setting up my 2009 XR650L for a 6 month tour and need to get a center stand. I've looked on Happy-Trail, Twisted Throttle, and Cyco Active but no luck.... Does anyone know if there is a company that makes them for an XRL? Or does anyone have any ideas for custom making one? Thanks!!
americanthumper is offline   Reply With Quote