2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #52982
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanthumper View Post
I'm setting up my 2009 XR650L for a 6 month tour and need to get a center stand. I've looked on Happy-Trail, Twisted Throttle, and Cyco Active but no luck.... Does anyone know if there is a company that makes them for an XRL? Or does anyone have any ideas for custom making one? Thanks!!

Someone else was asking about a center stand for their XRL awhile back. This guy is the one who makes(used to make?) them...

Quote:
I am fabricating again but a a slower pace. As this is a hobby for me I am having trouble finding enough time to fill orders as rapidly as I would like. Please contact me by email if you would like a stand and I will try and get to it as soon as I can.

I am considering closing Cigar Mike's for good at the end of 2012 if not sooner.

Thanks,

Mike
http://www.cigarmikes.com/

His site says they are in stock. I don't have a clue as to if he is still open for business or not. I should have got one when he was still up and running.

Let us know if you can get one and if he is still making them.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #52983
Bell driver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
I should have got one when he was still up and running.
Exactly my motto: " 'Have', not 'need' "
I had the stand 13 months before buying the actual bike. Same thing with large gas tanks...
2008 KLR650E
Bell driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #52984
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by ID XR600 View Post
Laugh all you want but my friend and I rode from Bruneau along the river south to Indian Springs this past week,,,, black helicopters hovering the whole time,,,,, fighter jets buzzing every which way. I went home and started figuring my 2012 taxes immediately.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Sometimes the stuff the gubmint has flying around goes splat... Pictures from a ride a couple of summers ago. South of Boise a bit. Where we stopped

This shit (pieces of an F4 Fighter jet) is scattered all over the side of the hill and down in the creek. Story goes that it augured in back in the '70's and a team came in and "disposed of it". Not sure if they used some kind of big shredder or high explosives, but there are bits and pieces of it EVERYWHERE! The biggest pieces that we found were parts of the landing gear and engine. Most of the rest of it is just twisted metal...

ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:54 PM   #52985
katbeanz
earthbound misfit, I

Oddometer: 7,533
Neato! Hope the pilot got out, I read aviation archaeology stuff once in a while, this one is sad but stirs the imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be_Good_(aircraft)

Xray Roger Lima
Old 02-02-2013, 06:05 PM   #52986
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,335
Another MSF course....

So I was wondering if any of you XR650L riders have ever ridden Suzuki Burgman/Skywave 650. How does it compare as far as turning radius, stopping distance acceleration etc. ?

I'm required to take another ERC course and renting one of these scooters will be a lot easier and cheaper than hauling my bike up to Yokohama.

Thanks guys

-Barron
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #52987
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
Sometimes the stuff the gubmint has flying around goes splat... Pictures from a ride a couple of summers ago. South of Boise a bit. Where we stopped

This shit (pieces of an F4 Fighter jet) is scattered all over the side of the hill and down in the creek. Story goes that it augured in back in the '70's and a team came in and "disposed of it". Not sure if they used some kind of big shredder or high explosives, but there are bits and pieces of it EVERYWHERE! The biggest pieces that we found were parts of the landing gear and engine. Most of the rest of it is just twisted metal...

F4 aye? The Gov. told you that or did you read it on the internet? Those markings look extraterrestrial ??? Pretty neat find on a XRL trail ride.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #52988
ThumpnRed
Pig Wrangler

Oddometer: 2,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
F4 aye? The Gov. told you that or did you read it on the internet? Those markings look extraterrestrial ??? Pretty neat find on a XRL trail ride.
A data plate from the wreckage
ThumpnRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #52989
tomcruise624
n00b

Oddometer: 2
I'm getting around 2000+ miles out of Dunlop ,They Are Impressive. But i Pay Around 40$ ^^ That Makes More Profit if u understand me ;)
tomcruise624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:23 PM   #52990
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
6'3" I would think you can flatfoot a XRL with no lowering link. If not then your legs may not be as long as you think. At 5' 10", on a good day, I can touch both feet. I weigh in at 175 and the sag is at 4".

What is your sag set at? Seriously 6'3" should be a great height for these bikes.
You make good points I can flatfoot my bike fairly comfortably (which can be very handy ), but I don't have much knee bend at all. The previous owner was quite a bit heavier than me, and when I sit on the bike it doesn't drop much....I'm sure I could use a little more sag, but honestly overall the suspension works very good, soaks up everything I throw at it without ever being too soft or harsh, or bottoming....very smooth and controlled over everything. I kind of like it firmer for the way I ride. Plus I'm a little lazy
I do think I'm going to check the static sag tho......is 4 inches what I should have?

I am glad the bike isn't any higher...maybe my legs aren't as long as I thought
Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #52991
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Cutting that out may well help the airflow, I don't know, but to help the low end (rpm) response? Sounds like the 'Twilight Zone' effect. I'm don't doubt you can hear the intake pulses better. The engine doesn't pump a lot of air at low rpm, even at full throttle. Any real difference in power output would be a result of less pressure drop to the carb inlet at higher rpm, under full load and full throttle, when the engine's pumping a large volume of air. I suspect what you're feeling in the low end is most likely a result of your other mods alone - the header (maybe) and improving the mixture (for sure).
Thats quite possible...thats the drawback of doing multiple mods at once, its hard to tell how much effect each mod had individually.

What I meant by helping the low end response was revving quicker off idle...first snapping the throttle and free-revving in nuetral when I started the bike, then on my test ride. I didn't get a chance to get off road and test the low rpm torque changes, so I can't speak on that yet, but I'll let everybody know on my next ride which will hopefully include some dirt
Old 02-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #52992
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by katbeanz View Post
Neato! Hope the pilot got out, I read aviation archaeology stuff once in a while, this one is sad but stirs the imagination.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be_Good_(aircraft)

Xray Roger Lima
That link was incorrect....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Be...%28aircraft%29

Funny, I just happened to flicking thru the channels a few weeks back and saw the (old) twilight zone was on so I watched it. It was this very episode!

"King Nine Will Not Return" is an episode of The Twilight Zone that told the story of a B-25 crew member finding himself alone with the wreckage of his plane in the desert.[9] In the episode, the marker of a grave of a member of the fictional plane’s crew is dated "5 Apr, 1943," the day on which Lady Be Good was lost.

I gave me goose bumps when I saw it in the link.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #52993
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Huh, I see the exact opposite. My 04 came lowered. The 08 is stock and there IS a difference in height. Enough to where I really need to plan ahead where I stop and put my foot down.

I was going to get one of those jacks for the longest time but never bit the bullet. I'm glad I waited as this is a real good deal for the price i got it for. Every now and then HF has them on sale for $349. You can also apply a 20% off coupon, if you have one, to the sale price...$279 + tax!
I signed up for their E-mail promotions, as per the advise from the "rate your HF tool experience" thread in "The Garage", and received the coupon via E-mail. From what I understand you can find them in the back of some motorcycle magazines too.
I've never sat on a stock height xrl, so I don't have anything to compare it too. I just assumed that being 6'3" I would be able to flatfoot a stocker fairly easily, so I was suprised at my lowered bike still being so tall......I think maybe my legs aren't as long as I assumed they were, or I misjudged how high a stock xrl really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
I was under the impression they claimed a couple inches. Anyway...

The ride height (rear) is set by the big ring on the shock spring (with any link). A lowering link shortens the travel of the rear suspension, preventing the wheel from dropping down as far as it does with the designed link. The ride height (aka 'static sag') can be raised to original height afterward by tightening the rear spring. If yours is in that condition, you could regain some travel and get an even better ride by going to the original design link and loosening the rear spring for proper static sag (~4").
I am going to check my static sag, the suspension was set up for the po who was quite a bit heavier than me, so I'm prolly not getting the proper sink when I sit on the bike.

Plus like I mentioned above, I've never sat on a stock height xrl, I think I just misjudged how tall they are, and how long my legs are
Old 02-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #52994
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
My Performance Design lowering link reduced the saddle height a lot. I have a 30-inch inseam, and after installing the lowering link, I can easily get both feet flat on the ground. Did you adjust the race sag?

Spud
No I did not I think thats the next thing I need to do tho.....wish I wasn't so lazy when it comes to working on bikes in cold garages
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #52995
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
You make good points I can flatfoot my bike fairly comfortably (which can be very handy ), but I don't have much knee bend at all. The previous owner was quite a bit heavier than me, and when I sit on the bike it doesn't drop much....I'm sure I could use a little more sag, but honestly overall the suspension works very good, soaks up everything I throw at it without ever being too soft or harsh, or bottoming....very smooth and controlled over everything. I kind of like it firmer for the way I ride. Plus I'm a little lazy
I do think I'm going to check the static sag tho......is 4 inches what I should have?

I am glad the bike isn't any higher...maybe my legs aren't as long as I thought
Don't worry about losing any of your suspensions quality. Setting the sag is what gives the bike proper front to rear balance. When you have less than recommended sag you will have more weight toward the front of the bike, could be the cause of some front end wander on dirt roads. To much sag will have too little weight on the front and will push in a corner. Just remember that static sag and race sag are different. Set your race sag, 4 " with you in gear standing on the pegs with some one holding the bars. The other measurement is with the bike on a crate or stand with the rear wheel in the air. When you race sag is correct, the static sag will be also, IF your spring weight is. It does not matter what you set first, race or static, if the spring is wrong then so will be one of the sags.
Kinda ripping through this assuming you know some of it, be glad to help if not. This stuff is easy to do and really makes your bike handle as well as it can.

My legs are way shorter than I think.