techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

What? No Bacon?
I`ll check with the chef.......don`t recall

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #53012
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Got some good dark beers up there? I'm drinking a coffee stout by Hardywood Park Brewery in Richmond my son brought; feels good

Dave was here between his two visits to you and spoke kindly of you and your wife. You were very generous to take care of him in his time of great need. My admiration really goes out to you for that!

If I don't get up there first, y'all come by here!

It was a great time.for both of us,,we enjoyed his company...love to do something like that again...dark beer eh.........alrighty then,,i can manage that me thinks..

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
Old 02-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #53013
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
...Am I the only one who has tried to put Cycra Pro bends on a XRL with stock bars and a 4.7 Clarke tank? ...
So far I like the looks of the Surge-I and I like how it's taller, even though it's a bit more narrow then the Scorpion Pro, I haven't ridden with it yet...
found this during R/R of the front tire: cracked speedo housing. ...[/IMG]
Nice job, cutting those Cycra Pro bends to fit! I have Acerbis guards and 4.0 tank - plenty of clearance.

I see you're changing the front, but of all the rears I've tried, I like the Scorpion Pro the best. It really does great!
I'll be interested in hearing your perceptions of the difference between the performance of the Scorpion Pro front and the Surge I as you wear through it.

I'm not sure what to make of your cracked housing, but I suspect you can ride on it until you can get a replacement in and get the time to swap it in.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #53014
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Kinda hard to say no to Dave, what with those puppy dog eyes and all that whimpering going on.

B
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #53015
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:

I forgot to weigh them minus the stock shields to see how much weight I'm adding.

I'm not sure what was going on with the pain of me installing these but I found I only have mere millimeters between the bar clamps and the tank,

Am I the only one who has tried to put Cycra Pro bends on a XRL with stock bars and a 4.7 Clarke tank? because the shields would hit the tank and I had to trim them.

The other problem I had was the Russel braided front brake line has a funky angle to it and is hitting the brace.
I will probably modify the line stop on the master cylinder so I can rotate the brake line for better clearance...but not today...

on another subject:

out with the old:

in with the new:

So far I like the looks of the Surge-I and I like how it's taller, even though it's a bit more narrow then the Scorpion Pro, I haven't ridden with it yet and I still need to re-calibrate my Vapor because of the added height.

found this during R/R of the front tire:
cracked speedo housing.

I hadta trim the piece on the mater cylinder so i could rotate the brake line towards me...forgot that.......

I have the clarke 4.0 and i have tons of clearance........the pics are confusing,,too close...back up a bit.it looks like you have the shields pointed almost straight down??????????? i can`t imagine how the plastic part of the guard could ever be close to the tank if it`s pointed straight ahead and level like it should...

B
Old 02-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #53016
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Quote:

found this during R/R of the front tire:
cracked speedo housing.

I`ve seen a pile of these with cracks in them....i personally think as long as water can`t get in then ride it.........the center part the axle goes through is the only part that spaces the forks and takes tightening forces...

B
Old 02-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #53017
ltcole
Herpetologist

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
What size front sprocket do you have? When I went to a 40 tooth rear with a 15 front the bike was sluggish as hell pulling off (my bike was still OEM as far as the engine went then)... it just felt like too much for the bike.

-Barron

I have a 40 tooth rear and 15 front. It works fine for me for my commuting, and since that is the majority of what I am doing this time of year I am ok with it's take off. Once the warmer temps get here and I start doing more offroad riding, I will probably go to a 48 tooth rear and 15 tooth front.

Last on row 1, as far as my lowering link goes, it's already spoken for. Sorry.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:33 AM   #53018
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 438
Conceptual question for the mechanical geniuses out there. So, I know that when Dave / Brian's mods are done to the bike, the instructions say to drill the two holes to 5/32". I understand that changing the sizes of the jets affects how much fuel is able to flow at the different RPM ranges.

Can someone please help me understand what effect the increased hole size in the throttle body has? Also, what is the purpose of shimming the needle?

I've done the mods, and my bike is running great. I'd just like to understand what exactly it was that I did :)
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:41 AM   #53019
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 23,782
constant velocity carb those holes are going to effect how fast the cv slide opens and closes.. what that effects I have no idea
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #53020
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 AM   #53021
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

http://www.drpiston.com/Cvcarbs.html
Old 02-03-2013, 08:53 AM   #53022
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Lots of good reading here - going to take me awhile to digest. Thanks for finding that!
Old 02-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #53023
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

top 2 google hits for "how a cv carb works"
Old 02-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #53024
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

When it relates to the motorcycle, I'm often guilty of looking here before google.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #53025
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Enlarging the holes in the slide increases throttle response thru quicker reaction of the vacuum slide. similarly a shorter or weaker spring will do the same. Shimming the needle raises it to the smaller part of its taper sooner to allow more fuel. Some needles are adjustable. The slide of a CV carb controls velocity thru the venturi at all times and midrange fueling thru movement of the needle out of the main jets orifice along with it. If you run your bike and remove the air filter youcan see the slide react , but not proportionately to throttle movement. You can also raise the slide with your fingers and the throttle closed and the motor will not rev, but it will go lean due to lack of vacuum to pull fuel. On the XRL there is a little arm with a roller on the throttle pulley that keeps the slide from pulsing at low RPM. If you were to remove the arm you could actually hold the slide down with your fingers and open the throttle and the motor would not rev. CV carbs are fuel efficient , but throttle response is slow compared to a non CV carb and especially a pumper [accellerator pump] carb. There is quite a bit more to carburetors , but I hope I answered your questions.

joexr screwed with this post 02-03-2013 at 10:15 AM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote