Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #53116
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
if any of you have thought about a neck brace, motocrossgiant.com has the leatt adventure 3 on sale for a limited time starting today for only $169.99. free shipping over $85. it's black with some red, matching the XRL. there, this is now XRL related

linky

I wonder if you can look over your shoulder with one to change lanes? I too have thought hard about going to a Leatt.
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #53117
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
well i left the rear turn signal and just cut the front wires but everything else is stock so i guess ill have to buy the flasher.
You also need to remove the bulb from the turn signal indicator. Try removing this bulb before you go any further.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #53118
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I'm 6'3" and complaining about the height of an xrl....I guess that just tells you how tall these bikes really are

Thanks...I'll take the advice you guys have offered, and the link, and get on setting up my sag
Thats what I love about this place...always experienced info on the xrl at my fingertips.......I think I'm getting spoiled

I read somewhere that the xrl had one of the tallest seat heights of any stock bike made......and I believe it. I've owned many dirt bikes, and my xrl lowered fits me like my true mx'ers did stock height
I think their comes a point of possibly being too high? Especially with an oversize tank on the xrl, it really carries the weight high .......but I can ride over anything
I am 6'5. When I first bought this bike (stock) I could not ride it. I was so hunched over, awkward and uncomfortable. It has taken many years for me to find the setup that fits me perfect. I run Rox 3 1/2 risers, which clears my stabilizer and I run ATV quad bend handlebars. This setup required custom cables, but was so worth it. I can stand up straight when riding in the open desert sand (yes). I also used powerpegz/ pivotpegs so the pegs lowered a tad and pivoted for more room. In the pics you can see how high the bars are in comparison to the fairing.

ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:42 PM   #53119
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Spud's not hauling ass on knarly rocky fire roads, rooster-tailing out of each turn, sliding into the next, third gear hammering up mountain inclines with more rocks than dirt, going airborne over the water bars, and other such foolish hooliganisms, though. He's too sensible for that. ...
Please post a video from beautiful Virginia! I would love to see some real, hell-bent-for-leather riding on those gnarly, rocky trails!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:51 PM   #53120
mhking
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
[QUOTE=Spud Rider;20651482]You also need to remove the bulb from the turn signal indicator. Try removing this bulb before you go any further.

Spud [/QUOTE
ok ill give that a shot. i appreciate everyone for their advice.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #53121
3girlsdad
aka FiddyK

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoteach View Post
I wonder if you can look over your shoulder with one to change lanes? I too have thought hard about going to a Leatt.
i don't know. i don't remember having too much trouble turning my head before on an mx track. i got rid of it more than a year ago. got another coming, in translucent red, so i'll let you know soon. didn't think i'd need one only riding trails now, but man those trees scare me

two long vids from sunday's ride. you gotta be bored, but if ya are, hey, it's dirtcycle ridin on the xrl!

2008 Honda XR650L - (gone)
3girlsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #53122
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
The FMX650 was never imported into the United States. Therefore, you can only obtain the FMX650 fifth gear from either Europe or Japan. For XR650L owners, replacing the stock fifth gear on the countershaft with the FMX650 fifth gear, part #23491-MW2-780, will increase the gap between 4th and 5th gear in the stock transmission, allowing lower engine rpms in fifth gear. The FMX650 fifth gear is part #16 in the following diagram.

I have heard you can acquire the FMX650 fifth gear from the following website in Japan.

http://www.motobike.jp/

Apparently the vendor above will acquire part #23491-MW2-780, and mail it to your U.S. Postal Service address for a fee of approximately $120.

Spud
I live at 5000ft and ride up to 8000+........my bike wouldn't comfortably pull the stock 5th gear with my 4.6 tank full, me and my backpack, and heading up in elevation. Dropping to a 14 tooth front xrr sprocket, and then and adding the header/cut airbox has helped that a bunch. I still wouldn't want a taller fifth tho, I'd spend more of my time in 4th if that was the case
I hate high elevation

Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post
I hadta trim the piece on the mater cylinder so i could rotate the brake line towards me...forgot that.......

I have the clarke 4.0 and i have tons of clearance........the pics are confusing,,too close...back up a bit.it looks like you have the shields pointed almost straight down??????????? i can`t imagine how the plastic part of the guard could ever be close to the tank if it`s pointed straight ahead and level like it should...

B
I bought a set of aftermarket guards, forget the brand, but once I got them home and saw all the hassles it would take to fit them on the xrl, I took them back. The stock guards have worked well for me so far in a couple spills, break the wind well, and with a nice forum discount at hayabusa.org are super cheap to replace.....I'll be sticking with them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
At least it will color evenly this time around. I had fingerprints and shit on it that got burned onto it the first time around.
My powerbomb turned a nice golden hue after the first ride...looks sweet..I actually prefer it over the original stainless look
Old 02-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #53123
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
So, out of curiosity, has anyone run the IRC TR8's on their XRL yet? I already ordered a set for mine, and I couldn't find any bad reviews on them. Just wondering if anyone has tried them. They look and sound good, and $150 a set is pretty good!

Link please!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #53124
RZRob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,450
DOT Tire Buyer's Guide

Hey anyone see the latest issue of Dirt Rider? This month has a DOT Tire Buyer's Guide listing about a dozen DOT tires for your dual sports. No in-depth analysis or anything, but good tires to consider. Yes, the D606 was listed, but no DeathWings - or the aforementioned IRCs. Still worth a look.

RZ Rob

RZRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #53125
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=3girlsdad;20651634]i don't know. i don't remember having too much trouble turning my head before on an mx track. i got rid of it more than a year ago. got another coming, in translucent red, so i'll let you know soon. didn't think i'd need one only riding trails now, but man those trees scare me

two long vids from sunday's ride. you gotta be bored, but if ya are, hey, it's dirtcycle ridin on the xrl!

Nice wheelies! 3girlsdad
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #53126
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Not to mention 4 wheel drum brakes . It was always interesting in the rain. You never knew which way it was going to pull. XRL.
Reminds me of my first vehicle a 1974 Dodge power wagon 4x4 manual front locking hubs, had 4 wheel drums, I kept a brake spoon in the glove box and at times I would jump out at a stop sign adjust a wheel, hop back in the truck and drive on until another adjustment was needed on another wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhking View Post
well i left the rear turn signal and just cut the front wires but everything else is stock so i guess ill have to buy the flasher.
Or wire in some resisters or wire in series the old bulbs to make up the resistance...
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!
KyoXR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM   #53127
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZRob View Post
Hey anyone see the latest issue of Dirt Rider? This month has a DOT Tire Buyer's Guide listing about a dozen DOT tires for your dual sports. No in-depth analysis or anything, but good tires to consider. Yes, the D606 was listed, but no DeathWings - or the aforementioned IRCs. Still worth a look.

RZ Rob

I did read it, but didn't glean anything really new. I still think I haven't found the ultimate set-up for the riding I like to do. The best so far is the Steve recommended MT21 606 combo. I want to try these new MotoZs.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #53128
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
It lights up anywhere where it touches metal. So would it be safe to say that the ground wire being cut or disconnected to that bulb would cause that to happen?
If your test light lights up no mater where you touch on that bulb socket that tells me your socket is shorted. You should not get the test light to light when touching the actual socket. Only when touching the connector inside the socket. Unless the socket is different then I'm thinking it is. I may need to pop mine apart and have a look see.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:58 PM   #53129
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Idk? I only know of the jet because the guy i got it from bought the kit and put it in. It runs great but i think it could huse a little more snap to it.
The xrl could use a LOT more snap stock, fortunately overall its a great bike, and there are things you can do to get more snap out of it. One of the easiest and most effective is dropping the front sprocket from the stock 15 to an xrr 14 tooth. I'tll give you a nice increase in snap and pull, without hurting your highway cruising revs. That would be the first thing I would do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
Hello XRL owners. Thought I'd show you what I've done to my 2006 XR650 L. A few mods later and she now looks like this. Expect the finished product sometime in the next month, and yes those are real copper fenders.

Beautiful street tracker, thats awesome with the copper fenders, one of the best looking trackers I think I've ever seen
Unfortunatley the xrl motor is pretty weak for a fun pure street bike of any kind, but that can be fixed in multiple ways. For a bike that beautiful, I'd invest in having Cycle Wizard do some magic on it....then you'll have a motor that'll do that beautiful bike proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
I am 6'5. When I first bought this bike (stock) I could not ride it. I was so hunched over, awkward and uncomfortable. It has taken many years for me to find the setup that fits me perfect. I run Rox 3 1/2 risers, which clears my stabilizer and I run ATV quad bend handlebars. This setup required custom cables, but was so worth it. I can stand up straight when riding in the open desert sand (yes). I also used powerpegz/ pivotpegs so the pegs lowered a tad and pivoted for more room. In the pics you can see how high the bars are in comparison to the fairing.

Wow......you DO have those bars raised I don't have any real complaints sitting on my xrl with the stock set-up......but I do need higher bars when I'm standing, which I do alot, it gets to my back fairly quick. And I'm prolly going to invest in the pivot pegz as well, the stock pegs and my size 13 boots don't get along well
Old 02-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #53130
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Please post a video from beautiful Virginia! I would love to see some real, hell-bent-for-leather riding on those gnarly, rocky trails!

Spud
Yeah man! I wana see some of your bad ass 1000 mile tire life riding too! Hell yeah, bring it! Can we get an autographed copy to keep?

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote