Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2013, 09:37 PM   #53191
super samurai
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
so is the daves mod consist of the drilled holes,lip grinded off the screw, shim the needle and possibly modify slosh baffle and new jets?

i thought i seen something of drilling the slide or is that a whole another thing.
the mod seems easy accept the jetting.
anyone here in the puget sound that has done it have a good jet size combo that worked?

i was gonna just go buy a few sizes of each at the local bike shop.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #53192
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
so is the daves mod consist of the drilled holes,lip grinded off the screw, shim the needle and possibly modify slosh baffle and new jets?

i thought i seen something of drilling the slide or is that a whole another thing.
anyone here in the puget sound that has done it have a good jet size combo that worked?

Go to Fourstrokes.com and look up Honda tech articles. Youll find the original write up for Daves Mods. The info is all there with pix.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #53193
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post

The drilled holes are the 2 holes in the slide. You've got the right idea.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

For jetting, I'm at about 300ft above sea level, and I tried 55/158 and was too rich. I recently went to 52/155 and it seems to be running quite well.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 PM   #53194
Miguel Sanchez
Whatever...

Oddometer: 1,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
I have just one word for ya there B Falcon, CHROME
Serriously, looks good. I need something like that. My rear fender and plate are some what chared from the fire breathing, lean is mean, monster 96 I ride.
Running an FMF Q4 - I built my turndown out of stainless ;-)

Built it so the Federales can still read the "USFS Approved Spark Arrestor" stuff on the 1/4" wide aluminum flange around the opening. It took a LOT of the pop, pop, pop noise out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

01 GS1150, 02 WR426F, 04 XR650L, 04 315R, 04 CRF230F, 81 R100RT (S), 56 G80CS, 87 MT11, 71 TS185, 74 98SR, 74 99RT, 76 TL250, 70 MX125, 80 DR400, 80 RS175, 80 RS250, 78 XR75, 74 RD350, 70 CT70, 06 Monster 620 Dark, and about a dozen more I can't think of right now...
Miguel Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #53195
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Yeah , but he is doing it on a Ninja 250. Give credit where credit is due.
Uh, that's not On&Off's ninja. That is the infamous Skippii riding that ninja on those trails!
I wish I could find Skippii's RR on taking a girl on a date up an abandoned hiking trail on that 250. He wound up leaving the bike in the middle of BFE, hiking to the top of a mountain in the dark, spending a cold night on top of a mountain and having "just" enough phone battery to call in for help the next morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Woohoo! The brown truck brought my tires today! It's nice living in the same state as MC Superstore... Still waiting on my rimlocks to get here. Hopefully I'll get them mounted up in a couple weeks.
I haven't been on Craigslist in awhile. Got on there tonight and saw a "brand new" MEFO explorer 80-100/21 for sale for $50. E-mailed the guy...turns out he lives 20 minutes away. It's safe in my garage now.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:27 PM   #53196
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,921
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

Is the tail light melting/distorting the lens? The bike I bought in September had one of those low profile lights on it at some point in time. It came with it in a box of parts. The bulb had distorted the lens. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence with these low profile tail lights...
I like them and if it wasn't screwed up I'd put it back on. Just wondering if others have the same problem?

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:50 PM   #53197
purpledrake
No Pretensions

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
The drilled holes are the 2 holes in the slide. You've got the right idea.

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr650lcarbmods/

For jetting, I'm at about 300ft above sea level, and I tried 55/158 and was too rich. I recently went to 52/155 and it seems to be running quite well.
Hey, Evan

I am going to dig into this, too. Did you just by the jets? Is there anything else that needs to be purchased? I stopped by my local bike shop (really a pretty good selection of stuff), but they don't stock jets...."we have to special order them....." In that case I can always buy what I need by myself. Right?
Old 02-05-2013, 10:57 PM   #53198
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:

Built it so the Federales can still read the "USFS Approved Spark Arrestor" stuff on the 1/4" wide aluminum flange around the opening. It took a LOT of the pop, pop, pop noise out of it.

I want it! Looks awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

I haven't been on Craigslist in awhile. Got on there tonight and saw a "brand new" MEFO explorer 80-100/21 for sale for $50. E-mailed the guy...turns out he lives 20 minutes away. It's safe in my garage now.
Awesome deal. Heard lots of good stuff about those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Evan

I am going to dig into this, too. Did you just by the jets? Is there anything else that needs to be purchased? I stopped by my local bike shop (really a pretty good selection of stuff), but they don't stock jets...."we have to special order them....." In that case I can always buy what I need by myself. Right?
I did the whole mod. Drilling, screw shaved, jets. RM ATV has jets or jetsrus.com has them.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:37 PM   #53199
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR BADGER View Post
http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ries/4cell.php. Thinking about performing the Spud bat relocation, and ran across these. Wondering if anyone was familiar with them, or if they would be a good choice for the conversion.
Those Ballistic batteries don't have the cold cranking power of either the Shorai or Antigravity batteries. If I were going to perform my battery relocation today, I would buy an 8-Cell Antigravity battery.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil

Spud Rider screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 01:08 AM
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #53200
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

You did a very nice job! In what manner is the turndown attached to the muffler? Also, what did you use to bend the pipe?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #53201
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpledrake View Post
Hey, Evan

You can buy the carburetor jets at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC. That's where I got my jets.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...eries-Main-Jet

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...hin-Pilot-Jet-

Spud
Old 02-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #53202
mendoteach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,507
Quote:

Miguel Sanchez that is very nice. Would you consider making more?
mendoteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:43 AM   #53203
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,485
Luggage rack query.

Ok I have just bought wolfman rollie in size medium.

I've started to look hard at a luggage rack system that accommodates the Rollie's instead of slapping them straight on the bike (as there supposed to be)

Does anyone use the Rollie's with a rack or simply as your supposed to without a luggage rack on each side?

What rack system is best for the xrl?

I've looked at wolfman and they don't have a rear crossbar which I think the xrl needs.

I've also looked at the sw mototech which look to bd what I'm after.

But. Is mounting the Rollie's on a hard rack system simply going too far?

I'm only new to the whole luggage thing. I bought the med Rollie's because I wanted to maintain a minimalist approach but I find myself very interested in a robust rack system.

What about other brands ?
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:11 AM   #53204
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Is the tail light melting/distorting the lens? The bike I bought in September had one of those low profile lights on it at some point in time. It came with it in a box of parts. The bulb had distorted the lens. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence with these low profile tail lights...
I like them and if it wasn't screwed up I'd put it back on. Just wondering if others have the same problem?
That happens when you put the wrong bulb in it. The bulb is the 1157 it is to big. It touches the lense and it melts with just the heat off the running light. Put the rt bulb and you wil be good to go.

Ben99r1 screwed with this post 02-06-2013 at 02:18 AM
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #53205
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Luggage rack query.

Ok I have just bought wolfman rollie in size medium.

I've started to look hard at a luggage rack system that accommodates the Rollie's instead of slapping them straight on the bike (as there supposed to be)

Does anyone use the Rollie's with a rack or simply as your supposed to without a luggage rack on each side?

What rack system is best for the xrl?

I've looked at wolfman and they don't have a rear crossbar which I think the xrl needs.

I've also looked at the sw mototech which look to bd what I'm after.

But. Is mounting the Rollie's on a hard rack system simply going too far?

I'm only new to the whole luggage thing. I bought the med Rollie's because I wanted to maintain a minimalist approach but I find myself very interested in a robust rack system.

What about other brands ?

This might work for you. He makes great stuff and is fast. He's also on this thread every once in a while.

http://www.manracks.com/#!product/zo...ddle%20Baggers

Hope that helps!

-Barron