Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #53221
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Well actually, I have been there, and when I see photo's I have a better insight of what they are showing. I didn't realize my comments were not knowledgeable. Maybe while you are schooling me on rock ridding you can impart some of your all knowing knowledge upon ignorant little 'ol me?
Oh wow, cool! Please tell me what parts of the GWNF struck you as most interesting, and why... I am looking forward to comparing your observations with mine.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #53222
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Oh wow, cool! Please tell me what parts of the GWNF struck you as most interesting, and why... I am looking forward to comparing your observations with mine.
If you are going to play you need to be a little clearer on what you are talking about.

You asked
"Have you not had the experience yet of taking a picture of something that impressed you only to find that looking at the picture is incapable of relaying reality? "

and then made the comment
"You obviously haven't been there nor done that"

Since you never mentioned anything about "there" meaning the GWNF I related it to the previous question. Of course, it was probably just me not knowing what I was talking about

Sorry, now back to our regular programming.

fyi, picture has nothing to do with rocks. Has everything to do with the fact that I'd rather be out ridding
Old 02-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #53223
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Is the tail light melting/distorting the lens? The bike I bought in September had one of those low profile lights on it at some point in time. It came with it in a box of parts. The bulb had distorted the lens. I was wondering if this is a normal occurrence with these low profile tail lights...
I like them and if it wasn't screwed up I'd put it back on. Just wondering if others have the same problem?
I put a Trail Tech 1157 LED bulb in my Western Power Sports tail light. The LED bulb does a good job, and it won't damage the lens.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/...+tech+1157+led

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #53224
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
I used a piece cut from a new Ducati take-off header for the curve and plug-welded a smaller piece inside that would just slip into the Q4 opening. In the smaller piece, I milled a slot to lock on the spark arrestor retaining screw's head and made an anti-rotation tab to retain everything. A little hi-temp RTV, lock into place, and use a single self tapping screw at 6:00 to install...
Thanks for providing the details, Miguel. You did an excellent job!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #53225
OldtimerTC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 933
KickStand Help

Hi All,

Once again I find myself reaching out to this wonderful group for some advice.

Anyone have recomendations on a Better kickstand ? Or Modification to existing.

At some point in my bikes life I must of tweaked the mounting area on the frame and now the Kickstand rides WAY to close to the swingarm. It actually wore a grove in my XR's only chain guide and the swingarm as well.

Do I just find a big "wrecking" bar and pull the stand hard to the left ?

Thanks in advance for any recomends.

BTW : The CW760 is a Fre breather !!!
Member COHVO
OldtimerTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #53226
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
...Since you never mentioned anything about "there" meaning the GWNF I related it to the previous question...
Sorry for the confusing order of thoughts. By 'there' I was referring back to your comment quoted at the time insinuating that the rocks where I ride through were much tamer than you anticipated, solely based on seeing a random picture.
They may in fact be, but until you come experience it all, you may want to withhold judgement...
Quote:

...I'd rather be out ridding
I can see why you go riding there - where the runners go for exercise
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #53227
absoluteclint
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Yes, Mike (jungleplant) is cool and makes good stuff!

Also worth taking a look at is cycleracks and happy-trail - depends on what you're looking for.
"depends on what you're looking for"... Very true!

If I were planning an extensive trip with alot of gear/luggage there is no question in my mind... I would get a cyclerack. There are just too many trips reports and opinions out there singing the praises of this rack.
https://cycleracks.com/ProductDetail...1/Default.aspx

Since 99% of the riding I intend to do will be local trips around town, day trips on fire roads, a gentle singletrack trail, and maybe an occasional overnighter with gear I am really pleased with the SD rack (especially with the option of adding the SD saddlebag racks later)... It's a little stronger than most rear racks that are available... utilizing 4 bolts or points of contact but still streamline enough to not look too gawdy. Great design!

I also think some form of subframe reinforcement is highly recommended for any rear rack on the XRL... whether it's welding gussets or purchasing an aftermarket product like the Hoglegs from Manracks.
absoluteclint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:54 AM   #53228
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Sorry for the confusing order of thoughts. By 'there' I was referring back to your comment quoted at the time insinuating that the rocks where I ride through were much tamer than you anticipated, solely based on seeing a random picture.
They may in fact be, but until you come experience it all, you may want to withhold judgement...

If I lived closer I would love to ride there. Part of my youth I lived on the Fairfax/ Chantilly border before it became developed. Beautiful country. Would of been nice to of been old enough to ride through it.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 11:21 AM   #53229
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV BUM View Post
If I lived closer I would love to ride there. Part of my youth I lived on the Fairfax/ Chantilly border before it became developed. Beautiful country. Would of been nice to of been old enough to ride through it.
Cool! Well if you ever come through again, you know who to contact!
I'm going up to Ashburn today - just on the other side of IAD from Chantilly - about two hours from home. I'll send a wave toward your old stomping grounds.
Old 02-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #53230
flyingwombat
frozen dead guy

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
I used a piece cut from a new Ducati take-off header for the curve and plug-welded a smaller piece inside that would just slip into the Q4 opening. In the smaller piece, I milled a slot to lock on the spark arrestor retaining screw's head and made an anti-rotation tab to retain everything. A little hi-temp RTV, lock into place, and use a single self tapping screw at 6:00 to install.

Sorry, no time in my life to keep up with half of my own projects, let alone build high volumes for others :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice work, thanks for sharing. Looks like a good option for those considering a Q4.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #53231
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Of course it's not me. It's labelled "Skippii". I may be crazy, but I'm not... Skippii!

Here's that report you're after.
Cool! That one still has the pics!

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #53232
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
First good ride today since mods. New rear tire, new gearing 14/48, DID Gold chain, CRF450 fenders, Trailtech X2 headlight and some re-wiring.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #53233
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Uh, that's not On&Off's ninja. That is the infamous Skippii riding that ninja on those trails!
I wish I could find Skippii's RR on taking a girl on a date up an abandoned hiking trail on that 250. He wound up leaving the bike in the middle of BFE, hiking to the top of a mountain in the dark, spending a cold night on top of a mountain and having "just" enough phone battery to call in for help the next morning!
He ought to at least put some dirt tires on that ninja, he might actually enjoy thrashing it that way

When I was in my teens a friend stripped a KZ400 twin down to just the basics.....no fenders, sidecovers, airbox, lights, gauges etc....whatever he didn't need for it to run. He stuck some dirt oriented rubber on it and we flattracked the hell outta that bike on the oregon logging roads....plus took it places it never should of went. Actually made us better riders and we never got hurt on it (amazing I know ).

Its amazing how having the weight low on a heavy machine offroad can make it so much easier to handle.....you got no suspension travel (thats what young legs are for ), but it still makes the bike feel way more manageable
Old 02-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #53234
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
First good ride today since mods. New rear tire, new gearing 14/48, DID Gold chain, CRF450 fenders, Trailtech X2 headlight and some re-wiring.

Very nice! How much did the CRF rear fender and taillight cost you? And do you have a pic of the headlight?
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #53235
WMD
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Very nice! How much did the CRF rear fender and taillight cost you? And do you have a pic of the headlight?
Acerbis rear CRF fender $22, Custom Dynamics taillight $25.

WMD is offline   Reply With Quote