Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #53281
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsdad View Post
well that's not a very flattering view. i see the cone head reference. front view looks awesome to me. side view looks goofy to me. now i'm not so sure i want one.
Don't you know women love big cones?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #53282
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,757
[QUOTE=Spud Rider;20671122]Both Clarke tanks are nice. Most people think the 4-gallon tank looks better. Some of us prefer the extra range of the larger, 4.7-gallon tank; I like mine.

I loved mine until I tryed using all of the gas in it! I'm too old to have to be tipping the bike over after a long ride just to get the gas over to the pet cock & keep moving Acerbis, only one with brains enough to put petcocks on both sides. Was no brainer for me?

AZ TOM screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 08:19 PM
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #53283
tjrockit
One day closer...

Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
well that's not a very flattering view. i see the cone head reference. front view looks awesome to me. side view looks goofy to me. now i'm not so sure i want one.
I'm still a fan of my Turbo City wind shield. Plus I can remove it when I want to.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=506238

*** The views or comments I express on this site and/or on any other site/forum/social media are strictly my own and do not reflect any past, current or future employer and/or any organization. They are solely my own personal opinions.***
tjrockit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #53284
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,566
Quote:
My buddy Jack (jgrady) from over on the XL600 side and I went in for two of these fairings and we both ended up selling them without even mounting them on our bikes.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:37 PM   #53285
my6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
[QUOTE=AZ TOM;20672206]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Both Clarke tanks are nice. Most people think the 4-gallon tank looks better. Some of us prefer the extra range of the larger, 4.7-gallon tank; I like mine.

I loved mine until I tryed usuing all of the gas in it! I'm too old to have to be tipping the bike over after a long ride just to get the gas over to the pet cock & keep moving Acerbis, only one with brains enough to put petcocks on both sides. Was no brainer for me?
Ditto...
Old 02-07-2013, 04:37 PM   #53286
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by super samurai View Post
Well corvalis is just a little too far! I will cut the one apart and modify, if i dont like it ill go back to my uncorked stock one or buy and aftermarket muffler. I just dont like the maintenance. With the aftermarket muffs.
Yep, re-packing can be a pain. I'm just working on getting my XR600 muffler mellowed out and a bit quieter. Sounds good without the insert, but just a bit too loud. With the insert it is super constricted, so I ditched it. I'll be experimenting with some washers soon.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #53287
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
My buddy Jack (jgrady) from over on the XL600 side and I went in for two of these fairings and we both ended up selling them without even mounting them on our bikes.
why?
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #53288
Mossy-Back
Wet-Sider

Oddometer: 1,553
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olderslowerguy View Post
So, how many people would actually be interested in one of these fairings?

I would if the price was right, and I could get it in black or white.
Ooh-Rah! Once a Marine, always a Marine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
figures...my stud was rusty I played with my nuts a little and it cranked right over
Mossy-Back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:07 PM   #53289
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
I live and ride at 5000ft mostly, sometimes up to 8000ft.
I'm running a uni filter with a cut open and desnorkeled airbox...the hole I made roughly matched the stock hole size, so I effectively doubled the air box intake opening size. I also have Dave's mods, and am running a full powerbomb exhaust with Big Gun silencer.
I'm running 58 pilot/155 main Keihin jets......according to the correction charts I've found online my main jet would equal a 163 and the pilot a 61 at sea level. The charts also recommend to lower the needle 1 clip position for my elevation. My stock needle is already shimmed from Dave's mod.

I'm not sure what jets and clip position you guys are running at sea level with full exhausts.....but I'm wondering if its worth trying to go up on my main jet, and maybe adding another washer to the needle to experiment for better performance, or leave it alone?

Its running great now after my one street test ride, perfect throttle response everywhere.......but I'd like to know I'm not leaving anything on the table from being a little lean...you know how that goes, mo' power mo' better
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
If it runs good, you can put off messing with it.

The dark side of jetting is the only way to know you are optimal (without putting in an air/fuel meter) is to try other settings and combos, and they are all worse.

I ride a lot of finicky trials-type stuff and that's where (for me) the dj stepped needle shows its ugly side.
Well thats not exactly the easy fix we were looking for ........man I wish our xrl's were fuel-injected like my other bikes, SO much easier to tune for changes. We want to hear what jets to put in, put them in and forget about the carb and ride

The dark side of jetting....Dave you fun sucker

At least you put together some awesome mods that me and most everyone else here seems to be running. Now just tell me the exact jets and needle adjustment I need for my elevation and I'll be a happy camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc View Post
IMHO you are way too rich. At your alt. you should be running a 50 pilot and 147 main. Yes you cut out the air box to increase air flow into the carb. but that only helps air flow at full throttle. Check your milage, I'll bet you get 32/36 MPG. You should be getting 40+ at least.
Of course it's your money. If you want to burn it up in fuel, have fun!
Thanks for the feedback Fritz
I was wanting to know what jetting guys with mods similar to mine were running at sea level, or even my elevation, so I could use the correction charts to get my jetting close to what it should be.....but according to Dave its a black art that takes lots of experimentation.....he says if its running good leave it alone.

Mine IS running good now, I just wanted to be sure I was getting the most out of it I could. But honestly I'm not going to fiddle with it a bunch to make it perfect, I don't have the time. I AM going to watch my mileage tho like you said, and see what I'm getting, if its too low I'll take corrective measures

The 58/155 jetting I'm running now is the same jetting the po installed with Dave's mods, when the bike had the stock header and muffler, with just the muffler insert removed, uni filter, desnorkeled air box and desmogged.

I guess I'll just watch my mileage and do a plug check after a couple rides and see how it goes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:10 PM   #53290
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
Yep, re-packing can be a pain. I'm just working on getting my XR600 muffler mellowed out and a bit quieter. Sounds good without the insert, but just a bit too loud. With the insert it is super constricted, so I ditched it. I'll be experimenting with some washers soon.
The straight thru mufflers arent as hard on packing as a FMF Q4 , but are louder . I have an FMF titanium 4 that was pretty loud , but I made extra diffusers out of perforated stainless steel. I think the powercore4 is the best pipe out there . They also have quiet inserts and spark arresters for them .
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #53291
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
just dont bottom out with one of them with the frame tab mount attached...they will crack!

elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:19 PM   #53292
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

For the jetting impaired. If you pull your choke back 1 click and it runs better your lean. If you pipe is black your rich. Take it from there.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #53293
ADV BUM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Well thats not exactly the easy fix we were looking for ........man I wish our xrl's were fuel-injected like my other bikes, SO much easier to tune for changes. We want to hear what jets to put in, put them in and forget about the carb and ride

The dark side of jetting....Dave you fun sucker

At least you put together some awesome mods that me and most everyone else here seems to be running. Now just tell me the exact jets and needle adjustment I need for my elevation and I'll be a happy camper

Thanks for the feedback Fritz
I was wanting to know what jetting guys with mods similar to mine were running at sea level, or even my elevation, so I could use the correction charts to get my jetting close to what it should be.....but according to Dave its a black art that takes lots of experimentation.....he says if its running good leave it alone.

Mine IS running good now, I just wanted to be sure I was getting the most out of it I could. But honestly I'm not going to fiddle with it a bunch to make it perfect, I don't have the time. I AM going to watch my mileage tho like you said, and see what I'm getting, if its too low I'll take corrective measures

The 58/155 jetting I'm running now is the same jetting the po installed with Dave's mods, when the bike had the stock header and muffler, with just the muffler insert removed, uni filter, desnorkeled air box and desmogged.

I guess I'll just watch my mileage and do a plug check after a couple rides and see how it goes

I thought one of the best carbs for the xr650l was the edelbrock quicksilver. If you were going to use to for long travels with extreme elevation changes it was very easy to adjust. I wish they would not of discontinued it.
ADV BUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:22 PM   #53294
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
just dont bottom out with one of them with the frame tab mount attached...they will crack!

Youve probably got a pipe for either a later model or an XRL that just doesnt fit YOUR bike properly.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:29 PM   #53295
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
pipe is 2 years old...xr6, same pipe for both...

it was just my observation

it has also happened on other bikes too...and been reported...

like this recent one for example:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/996...roke-at-welds/

good day!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote