Is that muffler extra Schlong?
Fix't
Old 02-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #53402
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I have double takes on both bikes. Last week I tested the mirrors on my GS to a 25 mph front end wash out. Both mirrors were moved but were 100% functional

No pictures of the bin.....
Well, that IS a strong point for the double takes...but you can't use the rubber mounts with them correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Nice! You've redeemed yourself for leaving the bike in the snow.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #53403
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #53404
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,884
Quote:
Well, that IS a strong point for the double takes...but you can't use the rubber mounts with them correct?

Both bikes have the rubber ball mounts. There is an entire thread about some move, some don't how to stop them from moving etc. Mine have not moved. So I don't get what they are saying.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #53405
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Both bikes have the rubber ball mounts. There is an entire thread about some move, some don't how to stop them from moving etc. Mine have not moved. So I don't get what they are saying.
What speeds do you normally ride at? I've been interested in those for a LONG time but I was turned off by all the guys saying they had issues with them not staying put at highway speed. Maybe they just need to work on their hand strength?

-Barron
Old 02-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #53406
Super Dave Hawaii
Ain't Dead Yet!

Oddometer: 246
Quote:

Nice Flik! 82 and Sunny in my neck of the woods. Just have to carry sun tan lotion!
Old 02-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #53407
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
Ok, your up...but you modified your muffler so now you need one un-modified for the test.
Think about it. Dont you think I would have already done before and after? Max flow / no back pressure is not the best. If you took your can off , your bottom end would be great , but your top end would suffer. Too much back pressue and you lose both. In the middle you get most of the bottom end with a decent squirt , so to speak, on top.

joexr screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 12:06 AM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #53408
pngaudioguy
Just...one...more...

Oddometer: 477
"Highway" speed for me only gets up to about 65mph on the XRL with occasional blips to 75 for passing, etc. With the 14/45 combo, that's about as much as I feel like wringing it out.

My Double Take mirrors haven't caused any issues. I find the vibration at lower speeds mildly annoying, but then they're only there to make sure I'm not about to get run over by some nutjob going 90+, or rear-ended at a stop light. There's lots of those nutjobs over here!
pngaudioguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 03:25 AM   #53409
KyoXR
Clouds, Snow, Rain

Oddometer: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Dont you think I would have already done before and after?.
oh, your saying that you actually DID do a test using a magnahelic gauge and found that the spark arrester flow is equal to the flow of the stock baffle opening.
My motorcycle is 5000 times faster then a centipede!

KyoXR screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 03:48 AM
KyoXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #53410
Barron
M0DAH0LIC

Oddometer: 2,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
"Highway" speed for me only gets up to about 65mph on the XRL with occasional blips to 75 for passing, etc. With the 14/45 combo, that's about as much as I feel like wringing it out.

My Double Take mirrors haven't caused any issues. I find the vibration at lower speeds mildly annoying, but then they're only there to make sure I'm not about to get run over by some nutjob going 90+, or rear-ended at a stop light. There's lots of those nutjobs over here!
Nutjobs are EVERYWHERE! That's good to know though, I might pull the trigger on a pair now that I'm over here where the speed limit is only 50KPH with most traffic going 55-60KPH (for those of you not into conversions... 50 and 60 KPH = 31 and 37 MPH respectively)

It's kinda funny though, you get used to going slow very easily and going over 60 KPH feels like speeding, Which is another reason I'm going to the 14/48 combo.

-Barron
Old 02-09-2013, 05:22 AM   #53411
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post

selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #53412
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Thanks! You know it. I can attest, it's definitely a roller coaster ride. Good thing I've got my bikes!
And we have wonderful kids, really great, and they picked spouses who we love and appreciate, ones we are confident will stay the course over the years of hill and dale... ...and besides being loving and caring, they have good earning potential, and they'll finally be out of school this year Of course, we owe it all to God, and as Proverbs says, a wise son brings joy to his father. (and it goes without saying, our daughters as well!) My daughter actually took the MSF course and got her motorcycle license, that was really cool. But her new husband is discouraging her from riding, and she's giving in to that, so she may not catch the bug. I try to encourage her to ride, but not too much because she's his responsibility now and they'll get further together catering to each others' wishes.
Congrats on a marriage and kids you can be proud of .....our daughters also a very spiritual lady, super sweet and kind-hearted, and she married a good man as well...honestly I feel blessed to be her father

Good kids, a good wife, and an xrl and the beauty of nature to ride it in.....what more could a guy ask for

Its too bad you're son-in-law doesn't want your daughter riding tho, especially after she went through the work of getting her motorcycle license.....she obviously has a desire to ride. But I think you're taking the right approach with it
Give her time, you never know, she might get him riding eventually...I know it sounds doubtful, but if she wants to ride bad enough, she might find a way
Old 02-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #53413
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
I think I'm running about 2 turns out. I'll try a little more and see what I get.

Thanks!
Let us know if it helps
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #53414
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteclint View Post
Thank you kindly to everyone who responded with an opinion on the Clarke 4.0 vs 4.7 (and additional info on the IMS 4.6 and Acerbis)... onandoff, sierrathumper, 3girlsdad, my6, rideabout, spud, aztom, kyoxr, and barron... THANKS!

I always appreciate seeing everyone's pics of their bikes... It helps to know the specific tank you've all got and the mileage you're getting... From an online pic I can recognize a Clarke vs an Acerbis... but it's nice to now know which of you have the 4.0 vs 4.7. I imagine I'll end up going with a red 4.7... That seems to be the best compromise of everything... Big enough to gain a substantial fuel range while still looking decent and not terribly top heavy... And I guess providing some cooling effects as well.

I completely agree with your comments on the Aloop seat and tank system... way too small of a tank... It would never be an option for me. I do think it looks professional and if I were into running my xrl hard on a track I'd consider it... but if that were my style of riding I'd consider a different bike altogether! They should have used the fairings/wings as additional fuel storage... as opposed to empty, flat, bolt on plastics. Maybe by doing that they could have increased the fuel capacity to 3.5 gallons or so. Of course I guess they were going for the light weight, motocross look and feel.

I do have an oil temp gauge but have yet to install it. I went with the "Spud--Harbor Freight/Ebay-oil-cap cheapo" set up. Question on that... Spud what did you use to seal the hole in the oil cap around the dipstick/thermometer? I have drilled my hole and have just a little free space... Was thinking about a dab of silicone caulking to seal it? I don;t think that would affect the thermometers accuracy... Am I wrong?

Thanks again!

Also... onandoff... You sound like a good dad to your kids (and their spouses)... alot of well-sound judgement and patience that's rooted in scripture... reminds me of my own dad... and the kind I hope to be one day!
You'll like the tank, it'll give you awesome range when you want it, and just fill it up part way when you don't need the range or want the extra weight
And def get the red, it'll hold up and look better WAY longer than the white
Old 02-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #53415
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyoXR View Post
oh, your saying that you actually DID do a test using a magnahelic gauge and found that the spark arrester flow is equal to the flow of the stock baffle opening.
NO no no. Baffle out is more flow.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote