Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #53416
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave Hawaii View Post
Nice Flik! 82 and Sunny in my neck of the woods. Just have to carry sun tan lotion!
Aw just wear a shirt & some pants & a helmet & you won't need any
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #53417
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by pngaudioguy View Post
I've got the Double Take mirrors, and have been very happy aside from the initial outlay. I've whacked some trees with them pretty good when I didn't bother to fold them, and they just folded for me. Loosen the nut, spin back into place and re-tighten, and off you go.

Question for the collective - what's the muffler of choice (other than XR600R) for quiet enough to not piss off neighbors, but less restrictive than stock? I had a disc-type E-bros on my last bike and loved the tone. I tried to go that route with this bike, but as you'll notice from a few pages back that didn't go so well (maybe I should buy a new one instead of used?) They got bought out by Vance & Hines, right?
Its pretty much impossible to stay stock quiet and still free up the breathing any.....you either need to be able to adjust to a performance muffler with more bark and power, or stay stock and quiet with less power.
Not all aftermarket silencers are built the same tho, they pretty much all come with quiet inserts anymore, but you do have some like the FMF Q series that are designed to be quieter.

The stock muffler is one of the biggest restrictions in the power department, along with the intake snorkel and lean jetting. I switched to a Big Gun silencer first with my stock header....with the quiet insert and spark arrestor in it was still fairly loud, but I was okay with it because I ride with music or earplugs, but for non-earplug riders I think it would be a bit much. But when I added the powerbomb header it actually quieted the whole system down a suprising amount...I took a ride without earplugs, and the sound level was fine with me all the way up to highway speeds..I think if someone ran an FMF Q series silencer along with the powerbomb, you'd get a nice power increase without a whole lot more noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barron View Post
What speeds do you normally ride at? I've been interested in those for a LONG time but I was turned off by all the guys saying they had issues with them not staying put at highway speed. Maybe they just need to work on their hand strength?

-Barron
I use the $15 a pair Emgo's, they have great visibility, and you can swivel the mirrors in 2 positions, up or sideways, so they'll fit both sides. When I break one, I buy another pair and have a spare for either side.
So far I've broken one, have a brand new shiny set on the bike now, and a perfect spare for whichever side I break next, if I break one in the near future (fingers crossed)

4 reversible mirrors for 30 bucks aint bad, and as often as I break them (rarely), thats the cheaper route to go for me than justifying 100 bucks for one set.
The double takes do look trick tho
Old 02-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #53418
techforlife
CDI REPAIR

Oddometer: 4,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post

you sure had a hard time keeping it upright,,,,,,,,,,i`d be fun,but 1 hell of a handfull without studed tires and shit.......

It`s a blizzatrd here now....i`m staring out the window shaking my head thinking about it........but in the end..........ummmm no..bike stays in the garage

B
01 XR650L,102mm JE 11.25:1..NX650 second gear,FMX650 fifth gear,ported CW head,KW valve train,MegaCycle 173X25.FCR MX pumper.42/158 NVCT needle.Cycra probend CRM,Scott`s sharkfin,Xr`s Only casesaver.FMF "Q2",Sutton Oil Cooler,Clarke 4.0,Red XR`s Only skidplate,Doubletake mirrors,Manracks Rotopax rack..one Minature Schnauzer
techforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:56 AM   #53419
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Think about it. Dont you think I would have already done before and after? Max flow / no back pressure is not the best. If you took your can off , your bottom end would be great , but your top end would suffer. Too much back pressue and you lose both. In the middle you get most of the bottom end with a decent squirt , so to speak, on top.
Actually its the other way around, when you go to straight pipes (no muffler) you gain top end at the sacrifice of bottom end. Thats why a megaphone style 4 into 1 Brocks header or Sidewinder with no baffle is great for drag racing bikes, but not so good for street riding.
Same reason some street car racers use cut-outs on their exhaust systems, they flip a switch and bypass the whole exhaust, from just behind the headers back, eliminating the cats and mufflers for max peak hp.

When you add the muffler and create some back pressure, you gain more low end, but start taking away from the top. Also smaller headpipes are better for low end torque, bigger are better for top end power. Thats why alot of bike makers use power-valves on their exhausts...it closes down some at lower revs and throttle positions to create more back pressure and more low end, but opens up at higher revs/larger throttle openings for more top end.....supposed to be the best of both worlds. I've never got to ride a powervalve equipped bike tho, I like the big bores (1300/1400cc's and up) which don't need powervalves...plenty of power to go around

My big sportbikes all came stock with 4 into 1 into 2 systems, which means the 4 headpipes meet in one collector, then split back into dual mufflers.....gives great low end, but you lose a little up top. When I dump the stock exhausts and go to aftermarket systems, I always go to a 4 into 1 (4 headpipes meet into one all the way back) or 4 into 2 into 1 (4 headpipes meet into pairs, then the pairs meet into one). The 4/2/1 is a good compromise because you get better top end breathing, but still retain some of the low end. I stuck a yoshi 4/2/1 on my busa, and lost some grunt at the lower rpm's, but picked up a nice hit of power at 5 grand that just kept ramping up, compared to the stock dual exhaust system, which had tons of low end, with a nice linear pull all the way up, but spun up slower with less top end power, and no "hit" anywhere.
The busa has a ridiculous amount of torque anyway, so I didn't mind losing some, but I did like the extra upper end rush the pipe gave me
Old 02-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #53420
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560
Oooh I haven't seen a backpressure thread in a while. Backpressure arguements are as good as oil and countersteering.

Backpressure is wasted horsepower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #53421
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by techforlife View Post

It`s a blizzatrd here now....i`m staring out the window shaking my head thinking about it........but in the end..........ummmm no..bike stays in the garage

B

Clear blue skies, mid 50's, shorts 'n t-shirt. I'm gonna go outside and give the family hauler a bath.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:45 AM   #53422
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
Oooh I haven't seen a backpressure thread in a while. Backpressure arguements are as good as oil and countersteering.

Backpressure is wasted horsepower
Yes it is......but its added low end torque
The trick is to balance the 2...free-flow vs back-pressure.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #53423
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumpnRed View Post
It does great. It has a Scott's Steering damper on it now so I can simply crank up the damping.
Awesome!
I've never tried a steering damper
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #53424
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Clear blue skies, mid 50's, shorts 'n t-shirt. I'm gonna go outside and give the family hauler a bath.
It's about time
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #53425
XR650L_Dave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,709
Flowbenches are almost useless except for tuning gonzo intakes, even more close to useless for single cyl engine tuning. Same but to a greater degree for exhausts.

There is a small but useful gain to eliminating the 'baffle' at the end of the stock muffler, but retaining the end cap (with the slightly larger hole provided from removing the tube that passes through it).

Of course I side with mototune on breaking in an engine, so my opinion can be safely discounted.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #53426
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
Flowbenches are almost useless except for tuning gonzo intakes, even more close to useless for single cyl engine tuning. Same but to a greater degree for exhausts.

There is a small but useful gain to eliminating the 'baffle' at the end of the stock muffler, but retaining the end cap (with the slightly larger hole provided from removing the tube that passes through it).

Of course I side with mototune on breaking in an engine, so my opinion can be safely discounted.
"Safely discounted" .......yer a funny guy
I compromise my break-ins between Motoman and the factory way....thats all my wrist and brain will allow. Prolly mostly because I keep things for a long time, and expect them to last for a good long time
Old 02-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #53427
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Actually its the other way around, when you go to straight pipes (no muffler) you gain top end at the sacrifice of bottom end. Thats why a megaphone style 4 into 1 Brocks header or Sidewinder with no baffle is great for drag racing bikes, but not so good for street riding.
Same reason some street car racers use cut-outs on their exhaust systems, they flip a switch and bypass the whole exhaust, from just behind the headers back, eliminating the cats and mufflers for max peak hp.

When you add the muffler and create some back pressure, you gain more low end, but start taking away from the top. Also smaller headpipes are better for low end torque, bigger are better for top end power. Thats why alot of bike makers use power-valves on their exhausts...it closes down some at lower revs and throttle positions to create more back pressure and more low end, but opens up at higher revs/larger throttle openings for more top end.....supposed to be the best of both worlds. I've never got to ride a powervalve equipped bike tho, I like the big bores (1300/1400cc's and up) which don't need powervalves...plenty of power to go around

My big sportbikes all came stock with 4 into 1 into 2 systems, which means the 4 headpipes meet in one collector, then split back into dual mufflers.....gives great low end, but you lose a little up top. When I dump the stock exhausts and go to aftermarket systems, I always go to a 4 into 1 (4 headpipes meet into one all the way back) or 4 into 2 into 1 (4 headpipes meet into pairs, then the pairs meet into one). The 4/2/1 is a good compromise because you get better top end breathing, but still retain some of the low end. I stuck a yoshi 4/2/1 on my busa, and lost some grunt at the lower rpm's, but picked up a nice hit of power at 5 grand that just kept ramping up, compared to the stock dual exhaust system, which had tons of low end, with a nice linear pull all the way up, but spun up slower with less top end power, and no "hit" anywhere.
The busa has a ridiculous amount of torque anyway, so I didn't mind losing some, but I did like the extra upper end rush the pipe gave me
I have done the before and after with MY OWN HANDS have you? XRs arent exactly big bore drag bikes either.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #53428
xr400r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Falcon View Post
There happens to be someone doing just that on this forum right now...

I should have one (a copy of one) in a few weeks if everything goes smoothly. Trying to decide whether to paint it white or black though. Gotta match the rest of my bike...
How would i be able to get one? Who's making them?
xr400r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #53429
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalsh View Post
Well, that IS a strong point for the double takes...but you can't use the rubber mounts with them correct?...
You are correct. The stock mirrors of the XR650L incorporate effective rubber dampers to minimize vibration. Using the standard installation, the DoubleTake mirrors don't employ the rubber mirror dampers which come with the OEM Honda mirrors. Also, some DoubleTake mirror owners have complained about mirror vibration.

The XR650L rubber dampers screw into the mirror perches with a standard, 10mm, right-hand thread. However, the tops of these rubber dampers employ 8mm threads, one of which is a left-hand thread.

Fortunately, one can purchase inexpensive, Yamaha, scooter mirror adapters on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10mm-8mm-0-3...ht_3604wt_1077

For XR650L owners of DoubleTake mirrors, here is a possible solution to the mirror vibration issue. A Honda XR650L owner can purchase a pair of these 10mm to 8mm, reverse thread adapters for $6.80. He can then remove the rubber mirror dampers from his stock, XR650L mirrors, and install them in the mirror perches. Then he can screw the reverse thread adapters into the Honda rubber dampers. Finally, he can screw the RAM mounting balls into the reverse thread adapters.

The resulting stack of adapters will raise the RAM ball another 1-7/8 inches, which might present problems for some riders. Also, the rubber dampers might not reduce vibrations for the DoubleTake mirrors. However, this experiment is certainly worth performing for a total cost of $6.80.

If the experiment is successful, owners of other motorcycles can purchase the Honda, rubber mirror dampers. Is there an XR650L owner with DoubleTake mirrors who is willing to experiment with the reverse thread adapters?

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #53430
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Is there an XR650L owner with DoubleTake mirrors who is willing to experiment with the reverse thread adapters?

Fixed!

Damn Spud, You've got a fix for everything!

The vibration issue is the only thing keeping me from pulling the trigger on a set. It would have to take some, if not all of the vibes away, unless the mirrors are so light they get buffeted around by the wind.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote