Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #53446
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
... I compromise my break-ins between Motoman and the factory way....thats all my wrist and brain will allow. Prolly mostly because I keep things for a long time, and expect them to last for a good long time
I have a mental block now; I can't clear the phrase "great minds think alike" from my mind now, for some reason.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #53447
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I have done the before and after with MY OWN HANDS have you? XRs arent exactly big bore drag bikes either.
Revelation. The engines in big bore drag bikes operate by the laws of classical physics... XR engines are so special that they supersede the established paradigms and need their own laws to describe their operation.

Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #53448
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
... The stock mirrors of the XR650L incorporate effective rubber dampers to minimize vibration. ... The XR650L rubber dampers screw into the mirror perches with a standard, 10mm, right-hand thread. However, the tops of these rubber dampers employ 8mm threads, one of which is a left-hand thread.
I like how well I could see behind me with the stock mirror. Only one was on the bike when I got it, which is all that's required by Virginia inspection law. I finally broke the glass in mine, miscalculating a successful line for crossing a certain ditch - not as wild as 3GD and his rock wheelie, and no one was video-ing, but surely had to be funny to watch. The dealer said thirty something for a new one IIRC. Looking around online, I found a small plastic mirror with its own handlebar clamp and a ball at the base so I can be easily rotated away for trail riding. In the reviews, someone mentioned that they are too short to see well behind you over your shoulder, but that if they were mounted under the handlebar, you could see just fine below your arm. So, you put a right side mirror on the left side, upside-down. It was inexpensive and works well for being protected from breaking, as opposed to the stock one sticking way out just begging to get whacked. I wish I could remember the model to relate to you readers. You don't see as clearly nor with as large a field of view behind compared to a stocker, but if you're riding offroad much more than onroad, it's at least functional, and it's out of harm's way.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:16 PM   #53449
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
On the XR I am normally under 65. From 50 up the mirrors have some vibration the in them. By 65 plus they are pretty much object detectors. On the freeway I use them mostly to avoid the idiot that doesn't see me or detecting traffic when I am getting ready to pass. ...
My stock mirror didn't vibrate enough to complain about at 65. The replacement one vibrates as you describe.
I've never had my xrl on the freeway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I would offer to try but I am in a no moto status for the next 8+ weeks. On the 19th I find out if I get to add Titanium to my chassis.
I hope that's not as scary as it sounds

Your location is noted as CA - any chance you lived around here before, and we've met? BWDR, perhaps?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:26 PM   #53450
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

This thread is dead tonight. You west-coasters must be in bed early.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #53451
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
This thread is dead tonight. You west-coasters must be in bed early.

No not in bed. Just don't have anything relevant to any of the current discussions to add. Guess I could post some old pictures.

Walter
That has stayed at home."
Walterxr650l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #53452
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,562
East Coast is goin a lil snow crazy

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #53453
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Revelation. The engines in big bore drag bikes operate by the laws of classical physics... XR engines are so special that they supersede the established paradigms and need their own laws to describe their operation.

Drag bikes are only run wide open. You really going to run open pipes anywhere but the dragstrip ? If you really are an engineer , I certainly hope you dont design bridges.

joexr screwed with this post 02-09-2013 at 11:30 PM
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:29 PM   #53454
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,562

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #53455
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Walter
Old 02-10-2013, 12:11 AM   #53456
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Walter

Walterxr650l screwed with this post 02-10-2013 at 12:28 AM
Old 02-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #53457
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,585
Walter, you're making me homesick for Idaho. Wait a second...I am in Idaho!

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:30 AM   #53458
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Walter, you're making me homesick for Idaho. Wait a second...I am in Idaho!

Spud

Walter
Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 AM   #53459
Walterxr650l
Beastly Adventurer

When I rode through there in 2011, I figured I would post those pictures when I got home. Never got around to doing it.

Walter
Old 02-10-2013, 05:26 AM   #53460
selkirkswamper
hellbilly

Oddometer: 142
photos

Walter, great photos thanks for posting them........well it's 0 here outside Albany, NY the XRL is staying put for awhile, way to much salt on the roads to go sliding around.......
selkirkswamper is offline   Reply With Quote